USMNT Thread Part VIII

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know Ream is there for a veteran on the backline, but man I really wouldn't be upset if I never had to see him with the national team

Ream and Miazga. They both suck. Both at fault for both goals. Neither are National Team players. Berhalter needs to reevaluate how he’s evaluating the CB’s, in my opinion.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That’s what we need from Reyna. Seems that Gioacchini is a straight poacher which is exactly what this team needs when full strength. Musah and McKennie looking good. Dest doesn’t look bad but is much better on the right.

He had two nice poaching goals today, but Gioacchini is more of a versatile forward, false nine who can play a real nine style. He’s also been used as a winger. Good movement and combination play. Pretty athletic. He played well, but it’s Panama. He’ll need to show this against better teams.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

About the lineup that we expected. Sucks that Dike got hurt, he was probably the guy I was looking forward to seeing the most.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

About the lineup that we expected. Sucks that Dike got hurt, he was probably the guy I was looking forward to seeing the most.

Dike was the only player I wanted to see. I still watched. Mueller was probably next and he played well. I thought he was MOTM. I think he has a role to play moving forward. I guess it also good to see Araujo get his debut, but he’s been around forever, so there’s not the same excitement around him.

Reactions: Basement Cat

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm not as high on Mueller as some are, but I changed my mind after his performance today. He was incredible.

Araujo did extremely well. I'm not surprised given how he played with the Galaxy this season, but its nice to see him in the system and contributing. He's got a couple players ahead of him that he needs to climb over, but he's great for depth at the minute.

Reactions: Basement Cat

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So my eiserne are reportedly tracking Mark McKenzie. Thoughts about how ready he is for the BuLi?
I don’t think you should pencil him in as a starter in the Bundesliga just yet but he could be a pretty good option and definitely has the potential to be really really good.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don’t think you should pencil him in as a starter in the Bundesliga just yet but he could be a pretty good option and definitely has the potential to be really really good.

I assumed that he was unlikely to start right away unless he was too talanted for us to have a chance of landing him :laugh:

24yo Marvin Friedrich is probably our 2nd best player after Kruse and he's formed a very solid partnership with Knoche; who is a reliable vet (though he does turn 30 next season).

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I assumed that he was unlikely to start right away unless he was too talanted for us to have a chance of landing him :laugh:

24yo Marvin Friedrich is probably our 2nd best player after Kruse and he's formed a very solid partnership with Knoche; who is a reliable vet (though he does turn 30 next season).
McKenzie has played mostly on the left side (at CB but left CB). He’s been linked with Celtic a lot but I think most people don’t want him to go there (or maybe it’s just me and confirmation bias). Union would actually be a really good spot for him. High possibility he wouldn’t be there long though.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
McKenzie has played mostly on the left side (at CB but left CB). He’s been linked with Celtic a lot but I think most people don’t want him to go there (or maybe it’s just me and confirmation bias). Union would actually be a really good spot for him. High possibility he wouldn’t be there long though.

That does help as both Friedrich & Knoche are right-footed and our only left-footed CB is the Freiburg-loanee, Nico Schlotterbeck.

And I assume the bolded for any successful transfer already lol. Anyone we buy is either going to bust, move on, has reached as high as they can go by playing for us, or is too cool to play for anyone but Union (read: is Max Kruse :yo:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gecklund

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Lleget shouldn’t be there and I don’t think Richards is there yet either. Don’t know about Johnny or Llanez being there.
Yes. Lleget was the other one I had a problem with.

frankly if they don’t have a shot at 2026 World Cup there is no reason to involve them.

Richards I am okay with. He is getting some burn with a great team and will have upside.

I would try to cal Siebatcheu and Cajuste before calling up Zardes and Lleget

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yes. Lleget was the other one I had a problem with.

frankly if they don’t have a shot at 2026 World Cup there is no reason to involve them.

Richards I am okay with. He is getting some burn with a great team and will have upside.

I would try to cal Siebatcheu and Cajuste before calling up Zardes and Lleget
If the reason they are there is “vet” presence I’d rather Altidore over Zardes and Roldan over Lleget. I don’t know much about either of the guys you mentioned though. Most of the more unknown guys I don’t know as much about. I agree about Richards in that I’m okay with him being there but if we are being honest, there are CBs that are better currently.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If the reason they are there is “vet” presence I’d rather Altidore over Zardes and Roldan over Lleget. I don’t know much about either of the guys you mentioned though. Most of the more unknown guys I don’t know as much about. I agree about Richards in that I’m okay with him being there but if we are being honest, there are CBs that are better currently.
Altidore is definitely still better than Zardes

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Altidore is definitely still better than Zardes
Zardes is such a system guy. He is so good with his runs but doesn’t offer much else. His finishing is average, he’s not super strong, he’s not great on the ball, not great at hold up play. His running gives more space for the creative players behind him. It’s why he’s so good with Columbus. I could see him being similarly successful with USMNT with Reyna, Pulisic, McKennie, etc. behind him but if we are talking about individual ability, Zardes shouldn’t be very high on the list.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
From that list, Yueill, Llanez, Lletget, and Zardes are definite no's. I think Johnny, Aaronson, Richards, and McKenzie are all questionable. I agree with the rest.

I think you need another fullback for that list. There's only three listed. Since Dest might be the starting LB, you could probably get away with another RB. Yedlin, if he's playing, or a young kid like Araujo, but whoever is that player is probably fourth string fullback, at best. If you really wanted another natural LB, Vines.

And you need some more strikers. You can take 3 with Morris as the 4th option, but you need at least another two #9's, and I think we are past the point where Zardes/Altidore are viable options. Sargent+two of Dike/Akinola/Soto/Gioacchini/Weah/Ferreira/Wright/Ebobisse. You could even say that Sargent is in that same competition and its three of those players, but I think Sargent has the best grasp on a spot of any of the young strikers right now.

If it was my pick, I'm taking Ledezma over Aaronson right now for a back up CAM spot. The hardest spot to pick is likely that back up DM spot. Yueill wasn't even playing that role this season for his club team, and its questionable if he's ever been good at that spot. I would put Sands there for now in that back up spot, but it's up for grabs. Johnny isn't a bad option either for that spot. Llanez spot should go to Mueller. I don't know how much better Mueller has to be in the last year to take that spot. One of the best players in MLS, and great in his debut for the NT.

Richards/McKenzie are in that CB discussion. You could also group Long into there, but I don't think you can use three young CB's, so if we are using a second veteran CB, I'm taking Long over Zimmerman or Ream. Are Richards/McKenzie better than EPB/Miles Robinson/Miazga? I don't rate Miazga. If it's my call, I'm going with EPB and Richards for now, but McKenzie is close.

Keeper: Steffen, Turner, Horvath
Defenders: Dest, Anton Robinson, Cannon, Araujo/Yedlin, Brooks, Long, two of Richards/EPB/McKenzie
Midfielders: Adams, McKennie, Musah, Sands/Johnny, Pulisic, Reyna, Morris, Mueller, Ledezma/Aaronson
Strikers: Sargent, two of Dike/Akinola/Soto/Gioacchini/Weah/Ferreira/Wright/Ebobisse

Reactions: Savant

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
From that list, Yueill, Llanez, Lletget, and Zardes are definite no's. I think Johnny, Aaronson, Richards, and McKenzie are all questionable. I agree with the rest.

I think you need another fullback for that list. There's only three listed. Since Dest might be the starting LB, you could probably get away with another RB. Yedlin, if he's playing, or a young kid like Araujo, but whoever is that player is probably fourth string fullback, at best. If you really wanted another natural LB, Vines.

And you need some more strikers. You can take 3 with Morris as the 4th option, but you need at least another two #9's, and I think we are past the point where Zardes/Altidore are viable options. Sargent+two of Dike/Akinola/Soto/Gioacchini/Weah/Ferreira/Wright/Ebobisse. You could even say that Sargent is in that same competition and its three of those players, but I think Sargent has the best grasp on a spot of any of the young strikers right now.

If it was my pick, I'm taking Ledezma over Aaronson right now for a back up CAM spot. The hardest spot to pick is likely that back up DM spot. Yueill wasn't even playing that role this season for his club team, and its questionable if he's ever been good at that spot. I would put Sands there for now in that back up spot, but it's up for grabs. Johnny isn't a bad option either for that spot. Llanez spot should go to Mueller. I don't know how much better Mueller has to be in the last year to take that spot. One of the best players in MLS, and great in his debut for the NT.

Richards/McKenzie are in that CB discussion. You could also group Long into there, but I don't think you can use three young CB's, so if we are using a second veteran CB, I'm taking Long over Zimmerman or Ream. Are Richards/McKenzie better than EPB/Miles Robinson/Miazga? I don't rate Miazga. If it's my call, I'm going with EPB and Richards for now, but McKenzie is close.

Keeper: Steffen, Turner, Horvath
Defenders: Dest, Anton Robinson, Cannon, Araujo/Yedlin, Brooks, Long, two of Richards/EPB/McKenzie
Midfielders: Adams, McKennie, Musah, Sands/Johnny, Pulisic, Reyna, Morris, Mueller, Ledezma/Aaronson
Strikers: Sargent, two of Dike/Akinola/Soto/Gioacchini/Weah/Ferreira/Wright/Ebobisse
Let’s get weird and take Ledezma and Aaronson, and drop both Sands and Johnny. EPB I am pretty much out on. As for the two strikers, that’s where it gets toughest. I feel like al those guys are the same.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Let’s get weird and take Ledezma and Aaronson, and drop both Sands and Johnny. EPB I am pretty much out on. As for the two strikers, that’s where it gets toughest. I feel like al those guys are the same.
Ledezma is probably out for a while. Looked like kind of injury that could take a year+ to recover from. Obviously hope for the best for him but I don’t think you can pencil him in any lineup/roster right now.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
So my eiserne are reportedly tracking Mark McKenzie. Thoughts about how ready he is for the BuLi?

Just about there, won’t drop in and be a starter. But third CB till the summer with him taking over next year? Possible.

As for his style, sadly, think stereotypical American player. Pretty athletic, decent in the air/with pace. Passing....needs some work.

Reactions: cgf

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Just about there, won’t drop in and be a starter. But third CB till the summer with him taking over next year? Possible.

As for his style, sadly, think stereotypical American player. Pretty athletic, decent in the air/with pace. Passing....needs some work.
His passing is fine. He’s not going to be spraying balls 60 yards to a streaking winger but I wouldn’t say it’s bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad