USMNT Thread Part VIII

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The US isn’t good enough to not cap guys like that. If they have upside, are young, and are interested, you take them. If you’re a kid like him, you also know you can play with some potentially good young players, and there’s room to carve out a spot

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Morris can play striker.

And I think Morris is more of a stop gap, unless he moves to Europe after this season and is a big success. I have to imagine one of these young wingers or strikers is going to emerge further as a standout. He's already not getting a place in the lineup over Pulisic and Reyna. If Musah joins, not him either. One more player, and he's not in the lineup.
Morris has literally never played striker for the Sounders.

Sargent
Morris-Reyna-Pulisic
Adams-McKennie

Very simple. Also Musah still hasn’t played for the US while Morris has and has been one of their best attacking options for a year now.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You could do what Spain does and just call up players/prospects that are just hyped even if they're not deserving of it. Some random friendly. Or just to sit on the bench. Ala Munir

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site

Very young team, no US based players (not suprising).

No veterans who aren't playing which is good. Only surprise is none of the Scandinavian based youngsters

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Morris has literally never played striker for the Sounders.

Sargent
Morris-Reyna-Pulisic
Adams-McKennie

Very simple. Also Musah still hasn’t played for the US while Morris has and has been one of their best attacking options for a year now.

Over a third of his starts for Seattle have been as a CF. https://www.transfermarkt.us/jordan-morris/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/337807/verein/9636

H
e’s always been most effective as a #9. He plays winger for Seattle in recent seasons because Ruidiaz doesn’t have the same amount of positional flexibility.

Morris best position with this alignment is likely as the CF. I’m not gifting Sargent a spot. He needs to earn it, and right now I’m choosing Morris over him.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Over a third of his starts for Seattle have been as a CF. Jordan Morris - Detailed stats

H
e’s always been most effective as a #9. He plays winger for Seattle in recent seasons because Ruidiaz doesn’t have the same amount of positional flexibility.

Morris best position with this alignment is likely as the CF. I’m not gifting Sargent a spot. He needs to earn it, and right now I’m choosing Morris over him.
As someone who has watched close to every Sounders game, that isn’t true. Morris was technically listed as a ST when Nelson/Clint were here with Clint at 10 and a two striker system but he wasn’t a striker. His position was more of a LW or wide left forward. He hasn’t played striker since college. Don’t come at me about Seattle and act like you know what you’re talking about.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
As someone who has watched close to every Sounders game, that isn’t true. Morris was technically listed as a ST when Nelson/Clint were here with Clint at 10 and a two striker system but he wasn’t a striker. His position was more of a LW or wide left forward. He hasn’t played striker since college. Don’t come at me about Seattle and act like you know what you’re talking about.

I’m going to have to disagree. I’ve seen him play that position a lot. I don’t think that graphic is wrong. I don’t know why you’ve turned this into a hostile discussion. I’m simply saying he’s played the position more than enough. He also played the position for the National Team, as well, before Berhalter decided to play him as a winger.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I’m going to have to disagree. I’ve seen him play that position a lot. I don’t think that graphic is wrong. He also played the position for the National Team, as well, before Berhalter decided to play him as a winger.
Where have you seen him play it? Cause he hasn’t done it professionally. Man Jordan Morris is my American favorite player and I’ve watched close to every game he has played. He literally has NEVER played it. If he has it’s been in a substitute, need a goal, with multiple strikers in. He definitely can not be the lone striker. It doesn’t fit his skill set at all. He also hasn’t done it since college (or played striker in general). You’re wrong here.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I mean I got into argument years ago on a different forum when Tyler Toffoli was coming up with the Kings and the guy I was arguing with was adamant that Toffoli was a center because he was listed as a center on NHL.com. Toffoli never started at center once in his time with the Kings, so I'll stand up for SJSharks39 here.

Going back to Morris I do think its his spot right now at wing, but I don't think he's the long term solution imo. Looking at the rest of the roster I can't recall the last time I've been this excited about the team. I thought Johannsson might get called back in with his goal scoring in Sweden

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I mean I got into argument years ago on a different forum when Tyler Toffoli was coming up with the Kings and the guy I was arguing with was adamant that Toffoli was a center because he was listed as a center on NHL.com. Toffoli never started at center once in his time with the Kings, so I'll stand up for SJSharks39 here.

Going back to Morris I do think its his spot right now at wing, but I don't think he's the long term solution imo. Looking at the rest of the roster I can't recall the last time I've been this excited about the team. I thought Johannsson might get called back in with his goal scoring in Sweden
I can't tell you how many times I'd have arguments on here with non-Blues fans about how Oshie is not a center and was never a center outside of high school.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not looking to offend him, but Morris has absolutely played as a CF before, and done so a lot. Some examples that explain it further.

National Team

Where would he rather play? What's his best position?
“Definitely up front,” Morris said. “That's where I feel most comfortable and most dangerous. That's where I prefer to play, but [I'll play] wherever I can help the team.”
He played on the flanks during the first half – on the right at first, then on the left – and moved to center forward when Kelyn Rowe came on for CJ Sapong at halftime.
“We started him in a wide position, and the way we wanted him to use minutes in that position [was] to come inside and join in with CJ,” interim US coach Dave Sarachan said during his postgame news conference. “I thought his activity on that end was very good.
“When we moved him up top in the second half, he provided what he always provides. The guy is a workhorse. [Bosnia and Herzegovina] were a team that didn't concede a lot, but Jordan found his moments to get in behind, and he created some good chances. … Overall, he did what forwards should do: be dangerous.” “Wherever the team puts me, I'll play, but I'm hoping I can play up front a little more, because that's where I feel most comfortable,” he said. “But [I'll do] whatever gets me on the field and whatever I can do to help.”

Striker or winger? Seattle's Jordan Morris happy to pull double duty for US

Seattle

I'm not going to post quotes because its a fan website account of his play with statistical data to back up his role. Read the article. It's the same stuff I said.

On the Wing, Jordan Morris Remains a Striker

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And in soccer, players tend to have much more positional flexibility than a sport like hockey. Quality players up top, tend to be able to play anywhere up top when needed, just depends on the system.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm not looking to offend him, but Morris has absolutely played as a CF before, and done so a lot. Some examples that explain it further.

National Team

Striker or winger? Seattle's Jordan Morris happy to pull double duty for US

Seattle

I'm not going to post quotes because its a fan website account of his play with statistical data to back up his role. Read the article. It's the same stuff I said.

On the Wing, Jordan Morris Remains a Striker
Man again I have watched pretty close to every game. Even if he is listed up top he plays off the wing. He is not a striker. You can quote articles all you want. You are wrong. I have ACTUALLY WATCHED HIM.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
We agree, but you suggested he should play for Sweden. None of us know which National Team a player identifies with, so we shouldn’t question their decisions or claim we know who they should play for.
I mean he chose Sweden so wouldn’t it be a reasonable assumption that he identifies with Sweden?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I thought it was a safe assumption the he identifies with Sweden. Born there, gre up there, except for some years in China, and has stayed in Sweden.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree with both of you. I just thought it was needed to make the point that we shouldn’t be the ones making claims about who a player should play for internationally. It’s a topic fans generally shouldn’t delve into, in my opinion.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->