USMNT Thread Part VIII

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The attendance tonight is a joke, though USMNT is not getting any more of my money any time soon.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It’s a friendly. In Arizona. Against a team no one cares about.

Why?
They should care. They cared about games like these in the past. I was at a game in Cary, North Carolina under Sarachan that outsold this. Its pathetic.

And the thing is, if US soccer didnt make a mockery of its fan base after they didnt qualify for the world cup, then I would be a lot less apathetic

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
They should care. They cared about games like these in the past. I was at a game in Cary, North Carolina under Sarachan that outsold this. Its pathetic.

And the thing is, if US soccer didnt make a mockery of its fan base after they didnt qualify for the world cup, then I would be a lot less apathetic
I’m just trying to understand what you’re talking about now. There’s no convincing you about the attendance because it’s bad. I agree on that but it makes sense. What do you mean make a mockery of their fans?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’m just trying to understand what you’re talking about now. There’s no convincing you about the attendance because it’s bad. I agree on that but it makes sense. What do you mean make a mockery of their fans?
The "coaching search", the nepotism, the losing of players to Mexico because of these factors. Should I keep going?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
This game was light years ahead of last years january camp game. Say what you want about the coaching search, but I think Berhalter is off to a decent start.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The "coaching search", the nepotism, the losing of players to Mexico because of these factors. Should I keep going?
The coaching search? You mean the president search? Cause that was exactly what the problem was. Once Stewart came on, they knew who they wanted and were just letting him finish his season. Are you talking about the Berhalter hiring with nepotism? Cause Berhalter was the right hire. And yes Gonzalez went to Mexico. That’s one player. Yes a good one but you can’t say losing “players” when it was literally a single player.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The coaching search? You mean the president search? Cause that was exactly what the problem was. Once Stewart came on, they knew who they wanted and were just letting him finish his season. Are you talking about the Berhalter hiring with nepotism? Cause Berhalter was the right hire. And yes Gonzalez went to Mexico. That’s one player. Yes a good one but you can’t say losing “players” when it was literally a single player.
They were both bad. Cordeiro getting the job was a joke. Berhalter may or may not be the right hire, but they process was rigged for him for the start, when there were better, more qualified candidates. Other players besides Gonzalez at younger levels are flipping. Gonzalez is the most notable one but it's happening. People know there is a rotten core at US Soccer right now.

How about you tell me why Berhalter was the best candidate? Other than he is one of the old boys, his first language is English, and having his brother to hire him

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
They were both bad. Cordeiro getting the job was a joke. Berhalter may or may not be the right hire, but they process was rigged for him for the start, when there were better, more qualified candidates. Other players besides Gonzalez at younger levels are flipping. Gonzalez is the most notable one but it's happening. People know there is a rotten core at US Soccer right now.

How about you tell me why Berhalter was the best candidate? Other than he is one of the old boys, his first language is English, and having his brother to hire him
Look what he did with the crew. He has a style that he will bring to the US. Also he knows the style of CONCACAF playing in the mls and for the team. He’s an attacking manager that plays possession which the US has needed since before Klinsmann. Also he knows the players. Were there better options? Remains to be seen because not a single one that was linked with the job was better.

How about you tell me why Berhalter wasn’t the right hire? Other than he is one of the old boys, his first language is English, and having his brother hire him.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I don't believe in conspiracy theories. Its a waste of time. I can complain about the Presidential election and how the unbelievable length of time between Trinidad and last December. It never seemed like we ever had a true shortlist which is my real complaint about the search altogether.

Its hard to get a real read about Gregg and the players with all of them in preseason mode, never playing together and a bunch of them not likely to sniff the first team and against a very much weaker opponent. I'm really curious to see him in March

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Look what he did with the crew. He has a style that he will bring to the US. Also he knows the style of CONCACAF playing in the mls and for the team. He’s an attacking manager that plays possession which the US has needed since before Klinsmann. Also he knows the players. Were there better options? Remains to be seen because not a single one that was linked with the job was better.

How about you tell me why Berhalter wasn’t the right hire? Other than he is one of the old boys, his first language is English, and having his brother hire him.
What exactly did he do with the Crew? What has he won exactly? He is another MLS guy that US soccer pushed because it was a name that they were comfortable with. The reason no one else was linked was because US soccer wasnt hiring anything else.

The best candidate was clearly Tata Martino, and they him go to Mexico. There is a reason that the Mexican Federation is dominating US soccer. Not only are they are more talented, but now they are out-thinking and out staffing them too. US soccer would not even give Martino an interview. US also did not formally interview Peter Vermes, Jesse Marsch, Tab Ramos, Osorio, Bob Bradley or Julen Lopetegui. Arguably all of thise players have better CV than Berhalter. This was a closed search that proved and/or reinforced all the negative stigmatisms thought about US Soccer. Berhalter may be fine but their hiring process was an embarrassment.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
What exactly did he do with the Crew? What has he won exactly? He is another MLS guy that US soccer pushed because it was a name that they were comfortable with. The reason no one else was linked was because US soccer wasnt hiring anything else.

The best candidate was clearly Tata Martino, and they him go to Mexico. There is a reason that the Mexican Federation is dominating US soccer. Not only are they are more talented, but now they are out-thinking and out staffing them too. US soccer would not even give Martino an interview. US also did not formally interview Peter Vermes, Jesse Marsch, Tab Ramos, Osorio, Bob Bradley or Julen Lopetegui. Arguably all of thise players have better CV than Berhalter. This was a closed search that proved and/or reinforced all the negative stigmatisms thought about US Soccer. Berhalter may be fine but their hiring process was an embarrassment.
I actually forgot about Tata and I agree about that.

Of the other names though the only ones I think could work are Marsch (who I don’t actually think would consider the job since he will be an assistant for one of the best up and coming coaches next season) and Bradley (who again I don’t think would take the job).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I actually forgot about Tata and I agree about that.

Of the other names though the only ones I think could work are Marsch (who I don’t actually think would consider the job since he will be an assistant for one of the best up and coming coaches next season) and Bradley (who again I don’t think would take the job).
Marsch 100% takes that job if offered. So does Tata, but that's what happens when an election is rigged

To be clear, I don't want USA to fail, but I'm not going to be buying jerseys, going to games (including flying) or going out of my way to watch them on tv for the the near future. All of these things were regular events for me since the mid 00's.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Marsch 100% takes that job if offered. So does Tata, but that's what happens when an election is rigged

To be clear, I don't want USA to fail, but I'm not going to be buying jerseys, going to games (including flying) or going out of my way to watch them for the the next future.
I think we can go back and forth about the manager as much as we want but it’s not going to change either of our opinions. I think we should revisit this when he actually has the full squad to choose from.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I’m with @Savant here.

They had a chance to blow it up and address a lot of the issues, and they blindly just stayed the course.

There’s major fundamental isssues they have no interest in dealing with bc they make money.

I’ve never been less interested in the national team.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’m with @Savant here.

They had a chance to blow it up and address a lot of the issues, and they blindly just stayed the course.

There’s major fundamental isssues they have no interest in dealing with bc they make money.

I’ve never been less interested in the national team.
To be truly honest, I was all on board with following them, as I had been, even though they had missed the world cup. But everything afterwards completely turned me off.

Sep 19, 2008
Attendance was pretty paltry and you'll have your regular Outlaws there but you could literally see huge sections of empty seats in the lower bowl during the telecast.

Must be trying to recover after the debacle of having an interim coach for like 2 years. :laugh: Anyway, the debut looked good and they won 3-0. More of that and people might start expressing support for USMNT again

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Attendance was pretty paltry and you'll have your regular Outlaws there but you could literally see huge sections of empty seats in the lower bowl during the telecast.

Must be trying to recover after the debacle of having an interim coach for like 2 years. :laugh: Anyway, the debut looked good and they won 3-0. More of that and people might start expressing support for USMNT again
I don't buy that. There was more people in Cary, North Carolina on a Tuesday night (under Sarachan) in attendance then there were yesterday on a Sunday with no NFL. If the interest isn't gone, at the minimum, US needs to earn some of it back. AO will continue to go for two reasons. Because they have to, and the use membership fees to pay for their tickets.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's a meaningless game, against a meaningless opponent, without marquee players, what did you expect? It would be one thing if it didn't have huge attendance in an area that typically has huge crowds. It's such a non-event that I don't understand some are making waves about it. Is interest down from the casual fans, of course, but this match was always going to have minimal interest, even from people that are more than casual fans.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's a meaningless game, against a meaningless opponent, without marquee players, what did you expect? It would be one thing if it didn't have huge attendance in an area that typically has huge crowds. It's such a non-event that I don't understand some are making waves about it. Is interest down from the casual fans, of course, but this match was always going to have minimal interest, even from people that are more than casual fans.
That's hogwash. Complete hogwash. We had friendlies under Sarachan in smaller cities with cupcake rosters. This was a game at a great venue, on a weekend, on a Sunday where there were no NFL games. The new coach was debuting, and playing a CONCACAF team, that made the world cup ahead of USA. There is no excuse.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That's hogwash. Complete hogwash. We had friendlies under Sarachan in smaller cities with cupcake rosters. This was a game at a great venue, on a weekend, on a Sunday where there were no NFL games. The new coach was debuting, and playing a CONCACAF team, that made the world cup ahead of USA. There is no excuse.
Smaller doesn't mean better market. Sometimes smaller means more desire because they don't get as many games to see in person. What's even your point here? No excuse for what? If Pulisic was playing, there would be more fans there. This was a B/C squad with some A players thrown in. Against a team that casual fans don't care about. Casual fans care about Mexico and then the major nations, casual fans don't care about CONCACAF.

NFL has very little to do with it. There isn't much overlap between fans willing to go to a USMNT and willing to spend money on NFL tickets. Most big NFL fans that I know hate soccer.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Smaller doesn't mean better market. Sometimes smaller means more desire because they don't get as many games to see in person. What's even your point here? No excuse for what? If Pulisic was playing, there would be more fans there. This was a B/C squad with some A players thrown in. Against a team that casual fans don't care about. Casual fans care about Mexico and then the major nations, casual fans don't care about CONCACAF.

NFL has very little to do with it. There isn't much overlap between fans willing to go to a USMNT and willing to spend money on NFL tickets. Most big NFL fans that I know hate soccer.
I didn't say smaller meant better market. I meant the opposite. Phoenix should not have had an issue drawing this game. Period. There is no excuse for a bad turn out. Small market Cary, North Carolina out drew this game, also with no Pulisic, and that was on a Tuesday, with a B/C team. With much less buzz. USMNT was able to get better attendance to these types of games in the past. NFL fans may or may not be soccer fans, but my point is that there wasn't a major sporting event that blocked the attendance here. Frankly its indicative that soccer fans are caring less

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->