Using machine learning to predict 2019 goals scored

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Totals in general seem pretty low across the board to me. Is there a particular reason for that?

Reactions: Doctor No

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I'd bet that it has to do with how he's removing outliers in his model (which he mentions but not in great detail) - two ways of doing this are to truncate and move on, or to truncate and spread, and from looking at the results, I'm betting on the former.

The results are interesting, although I'd love to see additional details on the construction in order to properly evaluate the level of trust I give to the results (I do a fair amount of this in my day-to-day job, and have seen some great models and some poor ones).

younggreybeard

Sep 14, 2018
Super interesting! Would also like to hear about how the model was made and what factors you included or left out!

Also, did you test the model at all? i.e. Using 16-17 totals to predict 17-18 totals and then compare them against actual results?

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Would also like to hear about how the model was made and what factors you included or left out!

Also, did you test the model at all? i.e. Using 16-17 totals to predict 17-18 totals and then compare them against actual results?

He states to be using historical data but yeah no mention of how it was validated. I would also like to know which, if any, other attributes (age, team...) are used and what, if any, weighting is assigned.

Last edited:

Punn

Sep 24, 2011
Brampton, ON
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I will doing another post on the how:
  1. I defined the target,
  2. the features I used,
  3. a univariate analysis of all the features and the impact on target based on information gain,
  4. algorithm used including pre-processing, feature transformation (categorical and continuous variable), missing value imputation
  5. the lift from each feature and partial dependency,
  6. the most impactful features on the overall model,
  7. performance on the training, cross validation (5 CV), and holdout set based on RMSE and R-Squared
Stay tuned and please subscribe to the website if you like what you see :)

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Algorithms do not shoot hockey pucks, people do. Video game voodoo.

You're welcome to participate in this sub-forum, but future responses such as this will be considered trolling and handled thusly.

From the stickied thread at the top of the sub-forum:
  1. Respect what goes on here. If you can't do that, then feel free to ignore the forum entirely.
  2. Be patient, and trust others' motives. What's basic to you may not be basic to me, and we're all in this together. Be helpful. Take opportunities to learn, and take opportunities to teach.
It's similar to (for instance) going into the Islanders forum and posting "Potvin sucks" in a thread, and you will be handled similarly. If your goal is to get attention, rest assured that you've got it.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
You're welcome to participate in this sub-forum, but future responses such as this will be considered trolling and handled thusly.

From the stickied thread at the top of the sub-forum:

• Respect what goes on here. If you can't do that, then feel free to ignore the forum entirely.
    • Be patient, and trust others' motives. What's basic to you may not be basic to me, and we're all in this together. Be helpful. Take opportunities to learn, and take opportunities to teach.
It's similar to (for instance) going into the Islanders forum and posting "Potvin sucks" in a thread, and you will be handled similarly. If your goal is to get attention, rest assured that you've got it.
I wandered in by mistake. Not an attention hog, just saying what I thought. Don't worry, I won't be back in here(except maybe at the end of the year to see how it ends). No more posts, though.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Max Pacioretty (WPG)
Did I miss a trade Vegas did? :)

Does your model take into account goals "missed" due to injuries? Eg. Getzlaf 11 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad