USHL to return to Thunder Bay?

ECS Scout

Jul 28, 2010
East Coast
http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/?p=19823

When you look at the USHL announcing a return to Madison Wisconsin, a return to Thunder Bay does not seem out of the question. Interestingly enough, Madison was also an expansion team in 1984, the same year that Thunder Bay entered the USHL. Coincidence?

Now factor in that a few people within the SIJHL are saying Thunder Bay is rumored to be going back to the USHL and you have the makings of some serious smoke, and where there is smoke……

nosl

May 14, 2007
Nord de l'Ontario
Calibre / Conflict

I recall USHL teams playing against major junior clubs in Canada during exhibition games. Does this league compare to the major junior level? If so, does this potentially impact certain CHL teams' ability to recruit players out of Northwestern Ontario?

If the USHL is considering Thunder Bay, I wonder if the league would consider scooping up one of the largest markets in Canada without major junior or equivalent level hockey, that being Winnipeg. With Fargo being relatively close by, and Thunder Bay rumoured, it could make sense geographically.

I also wonder if expansion into canadian markets would ever cause conflict with the CHL.

jayme2017

Nov 8, 2013
I recall USHL teams playing against major junior clubs in Canada during exhibition games. Does this league compare to the major junior level? If so, does this potentially impact certain CHL teams' ability to recruit players out of Northwestern Ontario?

If the USHL is considering Thunder Bay, I wonder if the league would consider scooping up one of the largest markets in Canada without major junior or equivalent level hockey, that being Winnipeg. With Fargo being relatively close by, and Thunder Bay rumoured, it could make sense geographically.

I also wonder if expansion into canadian markets would ever cause conflict with the CHL.

I think at some point were going to see the Chl and Ushl merge.

jayme2017

Nov 8, 2013
A good chance? Seriously? How do you see a merger working? Three CHL leagues and one USHL league. Factor in the NCAA rules. Not going to happen.

If you look at the Ushl what if some teams left for the Chl that would have a real big impact now what if the Ushl did merge and were the American League of the Chl that would be a win win now saying it will happen but its possible.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
If you look at the Ushl what if some teams left for the Chl that would have a real big impact now what if the Ushl did merge and were the American League of the Chl that would be a win win now saying it will happen but its possible.

Im not sure if you're aware of one of the major reasons why the USHL was formed. It allowed players to play junior hockey in the US, With there different rules from the CHL rules their players don't lose their NCAA eligibility. If these players were to play one game against a CHL team they would lose their NCAA eligibility.

A merger isn't in the cards now or in the future unless the NCAA were to change their rules. We all know that day isn't going to come for a mighty long time!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad