USHL, NAHL, & Tier 3 players pay what?

hockeyhockeyhockey

Feb 25, 2006
I read that in the

USHL that those teams pays for everything for the players: room and board, etc.

NAHL that those teams pays for everything but room and board. If a player is still in high school and he relocates to a different state and lives with a billet family, does he have to pay $200-$300 for room and board. Does the player have to pay the new local public high school a tuition? (even though he will be living with a billet family?)

Tier 3: Players pay ice fees, room and board and (high school tuition?)

5iveforfighting

Jul 4, 2002
I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think the "tuition" is for HS. Unless the player is going to a private school, public schools do not charge tuition. From what I understand the tuition is for playing with the team.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
The USHL pays all expenses, which include equipment and billeting costs.

The NAHL pays for ice fees, some equipment (jersey and stick) but the players are required to pick up billeting costs.

Tier III is allowed to charge players a fee to play (EJHL is around 5k a year) while the player picks up all costs.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB

The NAHL pays for ice fees, some equipment (jersey and stick) but the players are required to pick up billeting costs.

Tier III is allowed to charge players a fee to play (EJHL is around 5k a year) while the player picks up all costs.
Just as a comparison, what do Canadian Major Junior, CJAHL, or regional/provincial Jr B/C players have to pay?
Or US High School/prep school?

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Just as a comparison, what do Canadian Major Junior, CJAHL, or regional/provincial Jr B/C players have to pay?
Or US High School/prep school?

Major Junior pays everything including college tuition.

Everything else is a hodgepodge. Some tier II teams pick up the whole tab for certain players while others provide for nothing at all.

dropthepuckref

Aug 14, 2007
I heard a high school player playing in the NAHL only have to pay room and board. But in order to go to a public school in another state, that the billet family has to sign temporary custody papers so the player will be consider a resident in that school district area.

I heard about one public school wanted to charge a player in high school a lot of money since they said he is not a resident in their school district, even though the player was living with a billet family in that school district.

Anybody have any stories like that?

Who has played in the NAHL Junior A, that was still in high school, that was going to move to a different state and live with a billet family AND had to pay the PUBLIC SCHOOL a high tuition to go to their school. Even though the billet family was in that school district paying property taxes.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca

funny , the ncaa still lets those guys play , but not canadian junior players, what's the big difference?

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
here in canada heres how it works:

Junior A: Equipment, travel, and ice time are all paid for (except the US teams, they are community ran), most teams don't billet a lot of players most are from the area but billets usually receive 100-150 a week..

Junior B: Equipment, travel and icetime are usually paid for because junior B in areas like London, Guelph etc are the highest level available.....Most players are local and are not billeted.

Junior C: These guys usually get a team helmut and pants and their ice time covered but thats about it. No junior C team i know billets all the players are within the area.

Major Junior: They get free everything like the USHL.....They receive a 50 dollar a week allowance, free sticks etc...Their billet families receive 120-170 a week for food.....Some teams provide Overage players with cars to pickup younger players

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
here in canada heres how it works:

Junior A: Equipment, travel, and ice time are all paid for (except the US teams, they are community ran), most teams don't billet a lot of players most are from the area but billets usually receive 100-150 a week..

Junior B: Equipment, travel and icetime are usually paid for because junior B in areas like London, Guelph etc are the highest level available.....Most players are local and are not billeted.

Junior C: These guys usually get a team helmut and pants and their ice time covered but thats about it. No junior C team i know billets all the players are within the area.

Major Junior: They get free everything like the USHL.....They receive a 50 dollar a week allowance, free sticks etc...Their billet families receive 120-170 a week for food.....Some teams provide Overage players with cars to pickup younger players
Also both CJAHL (MJAHL anyways) and CHL have midget drafts. MJAHL teams use as many local players as possible.
But because of the midget draft they (MJAHL) really couldn't have a pay to play scheme.
In NB we don't have Junior B as High School hockey is still quite big. I doubt if besides equipment, players pay for much, to play High School.
Junior C, personal equipment I think the player pays but not much else and yes almost all local players.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
my guess is because none of the money is actually going to the player.

thats a lie...i know for a fact the USHL gives allowances out to its players similar to the OHL and other CHL leagues....In the USHL the players don't have time for jobs or anything so theres noway they are not compensated, they probably receive 50 a week or maybe less similar to the CHL players.....This whole debate has been going on forever it just NCAA preventing Major junior players from Canada coming to the NCAA because their considered "pros"..

5iveforfighting

Jul 4, 2002
thats a lie...i know for a fact the USHL gives allowances out to its players similar to the OHL and other CHL leagues....In the USHL the players don't have time for jobs or anything so theres noway they are not compensated, they probably receive 50 a week or maybe less similar to the CHL players.....This whole debate has been going on forever it just NCAA preventing Major junior players from Canada coming to the NCAA because their considered "pros"..

Hmm, do you live in a city that has a USHL team? How exactly do you know for a fact that the players are getting paid unless you work for the USHL in the accouting dept. I know "for a fact" that the players have plenty of time to work, if they are not working they are required to go to school and there is plenty of time during the day when they have time to work. I guaratee that the players are not getting paid. Do you really think a 16 yr old kid would be able to keep that a secret? I'm not sure where you get your information from, but the players in the USHL are getting money either by working or allowance from their parents if they are younger. Not from the league.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
the league wouldnt pay them...similar to the CHL the league doesnt pay them the team does.....The money could be given to the billet family for them to give to the players....either way its the same thing as what the CHL does...And no Tier 1 Junior A hockey team would make their players have part time jobs they practice and play too much and when their not doing that they are in school

raz

Aug 22, 2007
each team in the NAHL is different. Our own expierience has been the team is paying for everything, billets fees, everything, however no money to the player.

hockeyhockeyhockey

Feb 25, 2006
Are there any Junior A players in the NAHL that are still attending high school that.......had to pay a tuition to the public high school they were attending (living out of state) and/or has anybody experienced living with a billet family still in high school that the team can't find a billet family that will sign a limited guardianship papers.

Just wondering what other high school students playing in the NAHL Junior A did in order to go to school and live with a billet family.

We have a good friend that will probably play in the NAHL next year but will still be in high school.

I am sure he will get all the information from the team that will pick him next year, but just curious what some high school students have experienced so far. :sarcasm:

5iveforfighting

Jul 4, 2002
Are there any Junior A players in the NAHL that are still attending high school that.......had to pay a tuition to the public high school they were attending (living out of state) and/or has anybody experienced living with a billet family still in high school that the team can't find a billet family that will sign a limited guardianship papers.

Just wondering what other high school students playing in the NAHL Junior A did in order to go to school and live with a billet family.

We have a good friend that will probably play in the NAHL next year but will still be in high school.

I am sure he will get all the information from the team that will pick him next year, but just curious what some high school students have experienced so far. :sarcasm:
I can't answer specificially to the NAHL, but if the player is an import all schooling costs would be out of pocket,something about the type of visa needed to play hockey. I don't believe that an out of state player would have to pay schooling, but it might depend on the school district or the state. From my understanding the OOS players here in Lincoln don't have to pay to attend HS. I wouldn't think the tuition if any would be different for the USHL or the NAHL. Personally I think that if the team either can't find a billet in the school district or if the district has a closed enrollment policy the team should be responsible for the players education. Paying directly to the school wouldn't violate any NCAA rules or regs because the player would not be paid for playing hockey. The school would be getting the money.

hockeyhockeyhockey

Feb 25, 2006
I heard two different situations and both were high school students playing in the NAHL.

One high school student: had a billet family signed a limited guardianship and attend their local public high school free.

Different team in the NAHL & Another high school student: had a billet family without a limited guardianship, so the high school student had to pay a large tuition to attend their local public high school.

I heard this from a two kids from two years ago.

So it looks like each team offers different billeting and high school tuition ... to pay or not to pay a tuition

geezette

Jun 9, 2006
30 yrs in the minors
There are plenty of Canadians playing NCAA college hockey on scholarships. They just didn't play "CHL" hockey.
It's a choice kids have to make.

Last edited:

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
There are plenty of Canadians playing NCAA college hockey on scholarships. They just didn't play "CHL" hockey.
It's a choice kids have to make.

But could you imagine if CHL players could take the bursaries that they earn, and then were able to use them at NCAA schools if they choose not to go pro.
Wouldn't that be great.
Can you imagine if some how NCAA and CHL could work out an agreement in which players could stop playing the NCAA scholarship card to negotiate individual terms with CHL clubs.
Oh wait, if NCAA would allow CHL players to use their bursaries at their institutions.......then there'd be no bidding war between NCAA recruiters with big scholarships and CHL recruiters with individual education packages :sarcasm:

Last edited:

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
But could you imagine if CHL players could take the bursaries that they earn, and then were able to use them at NCAA schools if they choose not to go pro.
Wouldn't that be great.
Can you imagine if some how NCAA and CHL could work out an agreement in which players could stop playing the NCAA scholarship card to negotiate individual terms with CHL clubs.
Oh wait, if NCAA would allow CHL players to use their bursaries at their institutions.......then there'd be no bidding war between NCAA recruiters with big scholarships and CHL recruiters with individual education packages :sarcasm:

I think both leagues (NCAA & CHL) are scared because they don't know what might happen if CHL players were allowed to go on to play NCAA hockey.

The NCAA is afraid all the top players would go to the CHL, and turn pro before playing in the NCAA. They'd never see the Kessels, Johnsons, etc. It would turn into the CIS.

The CHL is worried all the top players would leave the CHL for the NCAA at 18. The only 18 and 19 year olds left would be either 2nd tier guys, or guys not smart enough to get into university.

There's just too much to lose if the pendulum swings in the other direction.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
I think both leagues (NCAA & CHL) are scared because they don't know what might happen if CHL players were allowed to go on to play NCAA hockey.

The NCAA is afraid all the top players would go to the CHL, and turn pro before playing in the NCAA. They'd never see the Kessels, Johnsons, etc. It would turn into the CIS.

The CHL is worried all the top players would leave the CHL for the NCAA at 18. The only 18 and 19 year olds left would be either 2nd tier guys, or guys not smart enough to get into university.
There's just too much to lose if the pendulum swings in the other direction.

Simple solution to that would be - in their CHL contract, they wouldn't be allowed to leave for the NCAA until they turned 20 ie finished junior. But then, players and clubs would be in a similar situation as now as players would negotiate ie holdout, play others league's - like they threaten now to negotiate that clause to change it to a younger age etc. So really, I don't think much would change for the CHL.

burtA

Jul 6, 2013
I read that in the

USHL that those teams pays for everything for the players: room and board, etc.

NAHL that those teams pays for everything but room and board. If a player is still in high school and he relocates to a different state and lives with a billet family, does he have to pay $200-$300 for room and board. Does the player have to pay the new local public high school a tuition? (even though he will be living with a billet family?)

Tier 3: Players pay ice fees, room and board and (high school tuition?)

USHL covers everything

NAHL you cover billeting

Tier III you cover everything

Source: http://www.juniorhockeytruth.com/nahl

MNWild9

Feb 16, 2010
Minot,ND
USHL - Teams covers everything expect for billet expenses and Other brands of skates/sticks that are not Reebok or CCM (Players get discounts on Bauer/Easton skates/sticks if they choose to not wanting what the team provides). No players get allowance or any money from the team as it goes against all NCAA rules. Most of the players work or their parents help them out. The USHL teams make sure you are going to the correct High school depending on the district your billet family lives.

NAHL - Teams cover everything expect for billet expenses and if you want different equipment that the team doesn't provide. NAHL teams make sure you are going to the correct High school depending on the district your billet family lives. A lot of the player work.

At one point I lived in a city that has a NAHL team and now live in a City that has a USHL (which I work for)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->