USHL Central Illinois Suspending Operations

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It was only a matter of time. Given that it's now official, I wouldn't mind seeing Bill Yuill relocate his USHL franchise to St. Louis. Two new ice complexes with NHL-sized ice sheets are slated to open here in Fall 2019. :welcome:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
As a Bloomington-Normal resident, can't say I'm surprised. Disappointed, but this market really just isn't all that interested about in-city sports that aren't Illinois State.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
It was only a matter of time. Given that it's now official, I wouldn't mind seeing Bill Yuill relocate his USHL franchise to St. Louis. Two new ice complexes with NHL-sized ice sheets are slated to open here in Fall 2019. :welcome:
I know when the new Blues facility was first announced they mentioned the USHL in their press release. But since then they haven't listed it, and I'm thinking Lindenwood has probably replaced the USHL as a tennant.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
On the bright side, the USHL will have an even number of teams, even with Team USA.

Last team that said the exact same words (not named "Indiana Ice") was the St. Louis Heartland Eagles. They never came back.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I know when the new Blues facility was first announced they mentioned the USHL in their press release. But since then they haven't listed it, and I'm thinking Lindenwood has probably replaced the USHL as a tennant.
The new Chesterfield Sports Complex also is scheduled to open in Fall 2019. Their "Competition Rink" will have an NHL-sized ice surface and permanent seating for approx. 1,000. On further review, I reckon that seating capacity is unlikely suitable to support a successful USHL team - though it would easily accommodate the current fan base of the Flying Aces. :(

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
On the bright side, the USHL will have an even number of teams, even with Team USA. Last team that said the exact same words (not named "Indiana Ice") was the St. Louis Heartland Eagles. They never came back.
I don't see CSH International letting this franchise stay dark for more than a season. IMO, they'll either sell (seems doubtful considering their recent focus on building a multi-tier hockey portfolio) or relocate. I wouldn't be a fan of a quick relocation to another city just for the sake of the League maintaining its current numbers in 2019-20. But it could happen, as the Flying Aces' owners have been threatening departure from B-N for several seasons.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The new Chesterfield Sports Complex also is scheduled to open in Fall 2019. Their "Competition Rink" will have an NHL-sized ice surface and permanent seating for approx. 1,000. On further review, I reckon that seating capacity is unlikely suitable to support a successful USHL team - though it would easily accommodate the current fan base of the Flying Aces. :(
The new rink there will be really nice but that seating capacity is more along the lines of the current LU Ice Arena seating which as you said is too small. The new SLICE (my nickname for the Blues facility) fits the bill as far as seating capacity in the 3k range, along with the off-ice workout spaces, etc. So I wouldn't be surprised if talks resumed about the USHL there, it's just my feeling that Lindenwood has taken over the spot.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
That competition rink will have the Maryville University hockey team as it's tenant as well as a host of youth programs. ACHA D1 hockey

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
That competition rink will have the Maryville University hockey team as it's tenant as well as a host of youth programs. ACHA D1 hockey
Did not know a/b the Maryville tenancy. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can catch some of their games.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The plan for Maryville is to also start a women's team either next season or the year after once they move into the new rink.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
The final two games for the team are Friday and Saturday; a road game against the Steel, and their last home game against Cedar Rapids.

I'm wondering if they'll crack 1,500 for the team's final game.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I'm wondering if they'll crack 1,500 for the team's final game.
The Aces couldn't get 1,500 butts in seats if they sent buses around B-N with boxes full of tickets to entice warm bodies to climb aboard for the evening. They've never had a casual fan base that they could count on for regular ticket sales, and they lost the vast majority of their small core of supportive STH's after last season. I'd be shocked if there is ever another USHL game played in Bloomington, IL after Saturday night.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'd go if not for the fact that this entire weekend is blocked out for planning/staging a combo early birthday/Easter party for this Sunday.

And, again, this market just doesn't care about in-market sports not involving Illinois State. It's a shame, as I do like the option of going to local games, but the demand is sadly just not there. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else took a crack at bringing a team here eventually, but I'm not expecting it to be soon or succeed.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... And, again, this market just doesn't care about in-market sports not involving Illinois State. It's a shame, as I do like the option of going to local games, but the demand is sadly just not there. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else took a crack at bringing a team here eventually, but I'm not expecting it to be soon or succeed.
Good point - again (we need reminding sometimes).

Low minor pro has failed in three leagues, now USHL has failed. Grossinger Motors Arena seems too big for anything lower (NAHL, NA3HL). I just don't see hockey returning, unless ISU unexpectedly gets an NCAA team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad