Status
Not open for further replies.

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
latest

Sep 19, 2008
Waaaay too many negative nancys up in here and not enough cooking advice in the cooking subreddit. Dudes not here asking for how to price things or calculate overhead. Dude's here for cooking advice. Not every good kitchen is run by a professional chef and not all professional chefs run good kitchens.
I push about two hundred lbs of wings a week. Here's my advice:
As a note: Our wings are straight skin and spices, no batter. Our boneless wings are battered, though.
Precook your wings. This solves the problems over raw chicken. You're starting off with a cooked product. The final fry before serving is to just crisp up the skin and send it out hot. You have a few choices.
Pre-fry your wings. This method involves taking raw wings and deep frying them until they are nicely browned. This method gives you a fast final cooking time for service and they also prep fast too. However, this can be super harsh on your oil. Wings release a lot of juice, collagen, fat, and some spices rub off. All of these things will darken your oil super fast and give that fishy greasy smell. To get around this, morning crew does the prefrying they swap oil for the night crew. If this isn't possible, you could try the next two methods.
Oven roasting. This gives your wings a little head start in the oven. However, it takes some time to prep. Think 15 to 20 minutes compared to prefrying which is about 8 minutes. Also, from time to time, we get a real ugly wing. It might be a supplier thing, but if I could guess, a bruise or a broken bone leaks and it makes a section of the wing dark gray. I only spot this when I need to oven bake wings.
Parboiling. My personal favorite. It preps a lot in one go. Keeps the oil clean. However, it also knocks off any seasoning you marinated the wings in. It would be better to season it post fry. Also, the fry time for service is much longer compared to a prefried or oven fried wing. The final cooking time would really depend on how large and strong your fryers are. Think 4 minutes for prefried. 8 for oven. 10 for parboiled. The final cooking stage is more about making the skin that beautiful chestnut brown.
Also, if your deepfryer isn't the best in the world, remember that oil temperature does drop. If you keep pushing wing order after wing order on a weak fryer, it's going to take more and more time to brown these wings. Get accustomed to your machine and keep and eye on how the food looks.
Tips on boneless wings. We make them fresh. Simple spiced batter and flour is all it takes. Make your wings flat. Not a cube. If I could give you dimensions, think 1 inch by 1 and a half inch by a half inch. The more surface area you have on the wing, the faster it will cook and the more batter you can put on the wings and the more sauce you can put on the wings. To save time, put the wings in the batter and have a container of flour nearby when you need to make an order so you can dredge them real quick. I would recommend frying them twice. I fry for 1 minute 30. Let it rest for 1 minute 30. Fry again for 1 minute 30. You might have to let it go longer if you're doing a big batch.
Cauliflower wings sound like they come from a bag, so I would imagine cooking them till brown and be done with it.
Some tips. When you get the tickets or orders in, immediately put down the plates that the food will be on. That way if you have to go grab an ingredient or sauce, you can look at your counter top and see what you need to make just by seeing the plates, rather than checking the ticket each time and it ensures you didn't miss anything for the ticket.
Use your down time well. While the wings are cooking, get your celery, blue cheese, or ranch ready for the plate. Anticipate your next move and think ahead. It'll really shorten down your ticket time.
And the final bit, you save more time doing the same task in a row than you do separately. If you see 5 orders come in for wings, of course fry five orders. But when it comes to plating, don't think of it as each individual plate at a time. Put down all the celery for all the orders. Then all the blue cheeses, etc. You lose time going back and forth for each task, so nine times out of ten, it's better to do all in one go.
Flying solo in a kitchen can be pretty tough, not going to lie. Try your best to be on top of things. Get some dishes cleaned while you can and good luck to you.
In advance, learn how to sauce wings. Go buy a metal bowl and practice spinning and flipping wings with a squirt bottle in one hand. Also, here's an article on deepfrying by Kenji Lopez. It says how to deepfry in a wok, but the foundations on what exactly happens when you deep fry something are spot on and it's a great read before you start.

Sep 19, 2008
"they douse a little drip of hot sauce on the wings"

literally says in prior seasons he covers the whole wing with sauce :laugh:

Sep 19, 2008

Sean answered this in a video from last year.

Paraphrased, You put the sauce in a bowl and then toss the wing so that you have full coverage. For the last hottest ones, you have to be careful with how much you put in the bowl so that you don't hurt anyone.

Sep 19, 2008
To help out all the Hot Ones fans looking to create their own wings challenges at home, First We Feast's Sean Evans sets out to discover the secrets of making proper Buffalo wings from scratch. To learn the poultry arts, he taps Dan Borowski and John Henninger of Dan & John's Wings in the East Village, who flex their Buffalo pedigree during a no-frills cooking tutorial. Armed with fresh, farm-raised chicken, a vat of soybean oil, and a stockpile of Frank's RedHot, these upstate natives will show you the keys to making crispy, no frills drums and flats at home.

Sep 19, 2008
"Court documents say the boy told officers he wanted a Play Station, an XBox and a computer, and if he didn't get them, there would be a "part 2."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad