Used the kwik-hands system?

bosstown

Aug 2, 2006
Kind of considering picking up this system to try and improve stickhandling at home over the summer. Here's a link...

http://www.kwikhands.com/

Just hoping to get some direct feedback from anyone who has used the product.
It seems to be a pretty sound system: the high weight balls should encourage proper movements and help to build strength, while the lighter balls should of course work on speed and control. Anyway, it's pretty expensive--so I'd feel better about buying if I heard a little bit from people with hands-on experience. Thanks for any advice.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
I found the kwik hands system very difficult to use, mainly because the holes are too small. I understand the purpose is to make your stick handling much faster, but I think it would have been more effective if the holes were bigger because it seemed like ever time I used it, I would overskate the puck and lose it

brother52

Sep 15, 2006
Russia
I considered getting the thing, but opted for a cheaper SmartHockey ball instead. Looks like all heavy ball does that a lighter one doesn't is building wrist strength, and you can do that with weight training. A pair of dumbbells or a barbell looks like a better investement to me.

bosstown

Aug 2, 2006
adding: take the smarthockey ball and wooden/golf ball and alternate between the two while puckhandling around 3 pucks. Believe me this will help a lot.

Thanks, these are good ideas. I think you guys are right, and it's probably not worth a hundred bucks. If someone on this board told me it had helped them dramatically, I probably would have considered it more.

Redden Hogalot*

I didn't really like it... soft hands > quick hands

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
I didn't really like it... soft hands > quick hands

In that case a good way to practice is "juggling" a smarthockey ball. Pick it up on your blade and bounce it off the blade repeatedly... After some practice you should be able to catch the ball on the face of the blade and just roll it around the blade face before throwing the ball back up into the air.

Before every game I juggle a smarthockey ball, at this point it consists of bouncing the ball on the blade, on the shaft(on the wide side as well as the thin side) and watching the ball on the blade. This gives me two things; it prepares me to mentally slow down and focus also it allows me to get a feel for the blade and the curve.

Redden Hogalot*

Yep, I use a smarthockey ball too. I like it a lot because its a ball and its the same weight of a puck.

kwikhands

Oct 6, 2006
KwiK-Hands Stick Handling System

I may be able to add a little to this thread.

While motion can be learned and developed with little or no weight, strength development must have resistance. Believe it or not, the ability to roll your wrists with speed throughout a 60 minute game requires more strength then you may think, especially in the later part of the periods when surface resistance increases.

Proper wrist roll motion is the foundation from which stick handling is built. With some very specific motions, adding weight can cause the motion to be developed and committed to memory faster. This is the case with the KwiK-Hands System.

The system develops motion and strength in a very specific fashion. By working from a heavy to light weight ball, the motion becomes easier to execute and increases in range (more wrist roll).

Committing motion to memory requires reps and lots of them. The younger the player the less reps. For high school age players 15+ they may need up to 30-50,000 reps to commit a motion to memory. If a player must be untrained of bad habits it could take twice as many reps. Its for this reason that many hours are spent developing solid skating skills.

The primary reason a player slows down with the puck is poor stick handling skills. Imagine having a young player develop his stick handling skills before their skating skills. A player must take the time and reps to develop both strength and motion.

Using light weight balls will only aid in motion development if the motion is being doe correctly to begin with. Using a heavy ball with added resistance (matted surface) forces the proper motion to be used because the ball does not roll without it.

In addition to stick handling development. Our 4 pound balls are used for passing development with tremendous success.

This is certainly one of the most overlooked areas of youth through high school (public) hockey today.

We have prep schools, colleges, players and coaches around the country and programs around the world using this system with great success. USA Hockey magazine chose our product as one of their featured products.

Also go to www.youtube.com and search on kwikhands. You will find videos of several players that used our system.

Good Luck….I could go on for hours on the subject but its time to go back to work.
Ron Gagne
Chief cook and bottle washer
KwiK-Hands,Inc.
506 668 6069

Last edited by a moderator:

bosstown

Aug 2, 2006
Yeah, I found some stuff there too. From the same user, but this is probably a quicker link to the videos

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kwik-hands

The "start" and "after 2 months" videos show a noticeable improvement. For some reason I'm still a little hesitant and would like to talk to someone who has actually used the product. Maybe I'll message that guy from youtube...

Anyway, thanks to all that have responded.

kwikhands

Oct 6, 2006
KwiK-Hands Stick Handling System

You are wise to be hesitant. Many “training devices†have been produced and used by all of us with varying degrees of success.

For skills development requiring a specific motion, choose a product that develops strength and motion via lots of proper reps. This is true no matter what sport you are playing.

If you develop a program using balls pucks or rocks, if it works for you and produces the desired results who should say otherwise. To develop stick handling skills you will find products and paths to success galore. Some work better than others and some work for one player but not another.

The KwiK-Hands System is not easy to use (initially) as a matter of fact it can be damn hard. Why….because the motion needed to properly stick handle is not natural (unless you’re a tennis player) and players have to unlearn a bad motion and re-learn a good motion . When you add a little resistance, motion becomes very very difficult to execute.

When a player begins using the system it routinely takes 30-40 minutes to execute 3 system sets. When a player reaches his/her proficiency level 3 system sets can be done in 4 minutes ! This is very impressive when you remember the science behind the system.

1) Build motion first.
2) Build strength second.
3) Use a high amount of reps to commit the motion to memory.

Take a look at the links below.

This link will take you to a player who has used our system over the years and was very devoted to it. She’s highly skilled and has an incredible wrist roll. The NAHA prep school has built a complete stick handling and passing routine around our system.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArt...23&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=610965&Q_SEASON=2006

This link will show you some off ice stick handling techniques that you can use to develop your skills.

http://www.usahockey.com/ntdp/main_site/main/ntdp/

I’ll leave you with one last quote from a prep school coach that purchased our system just to see if it really worked. I talked to him just before he left for Iraq.

Just wanted to drop a line and tell you the player I had using your system stepped up and became the leading scorer in the JV-B league this year. My son moved from the JV-B team up to prep-school Varsity A and did well. I was so impressed, I'm using the system myself and have found great advancement in wrist strength and stickhandling ability. Great product. Thanks.

Patrick Bateman

Jan 14, 2007
I learned about kwik hands from betterhockey.com months ago and I seriously considered buying it, but in the end the high price tag turned me off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->