USA wjc evaluation camp starts tomorrow

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Walt Kyle was a poor selection as coach. I could not believe how well Ryan did with the limited time he was given.

It's pretty evident that with the exception of Mike Eaves, the coaching over the past few years has been very suspect. Guys like Scott Sandelin and Walt Kyle are capable in their own comfort zone, but clearly struggled with the nuances of the international game. The U.S. has had the talent to win the last few WJC's, but coaching and lack of chemistry has been a problem, especially at crunch time. Another issue I have is pride, or lack thereof. While the U.S. missed out on the gold the last couple of years, they could have easily won the bronze, which is still an accomplishment. Instead of giving it their all though, the team has folded like a cheap suit. Unacceptable.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Why is the Sanguinetti thing such a disgrace. He is on O minded D man. I think we can all agree on that. So he would play on the PP then to be most effective or be a top four guy. He is not playing forst unti ahead of the Johnsons. He is probally not seeing second PP time or second pairing time between Lee and Chourney. That leaves third pairing and a guy they would need to play PK. Thats not Bobby.

I think there are biases. Thats why Stoa and Earl and others have not made it. When on talent alone they should have been there. But i do not buy into an anti CHL consperacy.

no one here considers him a lock for the team by any means, but he should be invited to camp. sanguinetti was a first rounder, and ryan and weber were 2nd rounders, i know where your drafted isnt everything, but filiangieri, jones and lawson were passed over by 30 nhl gm's twice for the draft and they will be at camp, that has to tell you something.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Why do I get the feeling that if Sanguinetti was a gopher you'd be pimping him?

Sanguinetti is in the same spot Stoa, a gopher, was in last year. There was no spot for him. So do not even waste his time. After last year you could make arguments that Stoa played better than both Wheeler and Skille. When this year i would think Stoa will be a lock. Next year Sanguinetti should be a lock and be looked at to lead the PP.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
But you already admitted you didn't see any NCAA last year. How you really compare him to Chorney? Did you listen to games over the interet?

And if Greg7 can nail a players ultimate potential based on less then 10 games, he should be a pro scout.

I didn't say anything that would indicate he could be a pro scout, that is your conclusion. But it is not difficult to pick up on a players skill set, hockey sense, competiveness, tendencies, etc. after watching a handful of games.

I suppose to be completely accurate I should have said I like Sauer better than I liked Chorney from what I've seen. I am willing to let him improve my opinion of him when I see him again in Sweden this Christmas, but it's not like I think he's terrible or anything. I just think Sauer is better. I could be wrong, and I could change my mind.

For the record, I think seeing a guy 5 to 10 times is an ideal amount to get a good grasp on what he can do. In Chorney's case in particular, having seen him only in one atmosphere in a short period of time adds a huge amount of uncertainty in my assessment of him, especially because I don't know how his development is progressing, but I'm aware of this and don't claim otherwise (unlike what you implied with your statement about nailing his ultimate potential, I never said anything about his potential or value as a prospect). In general, though, I think 5 to 10 games spread over the course of a season is a very nice amount to get a pretty strong idea of what a player is all about, and that does not make me a pro scout.

Having said that, when it comes down to it I think Big Daddy is right. You see a guy a bunch of games in a tournament like that, and most of the time you can get at least a decent idea of what he can do. Sometimes you can be fooled by a bad stretch or someone playing in an unfamiliar role or something, but the majority of the time I find that at least a broad picture can be fairly reliably formed. There is some danger - especially around here it seems - of forming hardened opinions based on only a few things, but I try to be careful to always be open to letting a guy change my mind about him. In any case, I think you missed the point of my post entirely by instead focusing on one small detail that, had I thought about it more, I would not have included specifically to avoid having to explain it like this.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
i don't remember how Rask performed in last year's USA camp?:sarcasm:

I don't follow. The question was how has Rask looked and since Rask is present at the evaluation camp (as a member of Team Finland who along with Sweden are scrimmaging with the U.S.) it's a fair question to ask.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Thanks rabid - I think Marcel missed something in the translation...

Given what he has in front of him, statistically Rask looked "good". I'm curious if his rebound control is better in the scrimmage (just one game I know but...)

As for Kessel - any news. As he can't come to camp this is his "show me time" for a contract so I'm interested if he looks like a "man among boys" out there, or is playing with an appropriate peer group, suggesting another year in college.

Thanks again.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Thanks rabid - I think Marcel missed something in the translation...

Given what he has in front of him, statistically Rask looked "good". I'm curious if his rebound control is better in the scrimmage (just one game I know but...)

As for Kessel - any news. As he can't come to camp this is his "show me time" for a contract so I'm interested if he looks like a "man among boys" out there, or is playing with an appropriate peer group, suggesting another year in college.

Thanks again.

He can come to camp as long as he pays his own way and pays for everything.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
woah!!!!! terribly sorry, i didn't know there scrimmages with Sweden and Finland :banghead: , i only thought this was a preparation for the next U-20 team for USA

Well, it IS their preperation. They've been doing it this way for a while now and it's a good way at seeing who does well in actual games.

There are two USA squads total and one squad from each of Sweden and Finland.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Stalock is doing well...good to see as he was great in the USHL last year.

I would hardly call 44 saves on 48 shots being invisible.. Kudos to Rask.

Actually it was 44 on 47, because the last goal in the first game was made to an empty net. After the second game for Rask (4-1 loss on 11th) it is 70 saves on 77 shots.

But hen talking about an invisible man, where is Jesse Joensuu? I have not find any mentions about him in the raports and his name does not exist in the minutes. Has he been in the starting lineup at all or is he injured or something, because otherwise he is underachieving a big time compared to expectations.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
How has Trevor Lewis looked?

3 goals in 3 games. That puts him in a tie for the goal scoring lead. I believe after the last game he switched teams, going from team blue to team white.

All I have is stats though, I haven't actually heard from anyone on how he's "looked."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad