USA Weak on Defense?

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
If I ranked the teams I have seen so far in this tournament I would rank as follows :

Canada
Sweden
Russia
US
Finland

I don't see how you can put the US fourth behind Russia. Even being behind Sweden and yes Canada as well is a stretch. They are finding their groove and I don't look forward to facing them if they are clicking in the elimination round.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I don't see how you can put the US fourth behind Russia. Even being behind Sweden and yes Canada as well is a stretch. They are finding their groove and I don't look forward to facing them if they are clicking in the elimination round.

From what I have seen of them (tonight and against Finland) I am not worried about them.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They weren't bad by any means but I think the US would beat then and Finland would be a toss up, plus they didn't look very good against Norway today, that is until they opened the floodgates with 5 goals in the 3rd

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

They weren't bad by any means but I think the US would beat then and Finland would be a toss up, plus they didn't look very good against Norway today, that is until they opened the floodgates with 5 goals in the 3rd

Hi CanadaGold,

I am not sure the US can beat them (Russia) to be honest...

I have heard for months, how good the US is and how good they will be. I have heard about their potential. But, they have looked average. They have looked like they would finish 4th in the other division (to me). Maybe you are right and I am wrong, but...

I guess we will see once the medal rounds shake out.

:)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hi CanadaGold,

I am not sure the US can beat them (Russia) to be honest...

I have heard for months, how good the US is and how good they will be. I have heard about their potential. But, they have looked average. They have looked like they would finish 4th in the other division (to me). Maybe you are right and I am wrong, but...

I guess we will see once the medal rounds shake out.

:)

you are turning into one of the biggest Canada trolls I have seen in awhile. every post you have is how great Canada is and how average the US is. it is getting stale and redundant...you need to change it up a bit already.

how you can even say the US is fourth when they are undefeated is pathetic at best. I couldnt care less what your opinion of this team is because you simply do not follow these players year round nor know what is expected of them. the only people touting the US as world beaters are TSN and Hockey Canada. Outside of that, there isnt a single soul that thinks the same way TSN does.

The US as it stands hasnt been tested yet, truly tested yet. The Finns are a team that most countries hate to play against because of their maddening defensive system. The US has looked better each game out, and though the score against the Germans wasnt 10-0, the play on the ice might as well have been. I am actually happy the US isnt playing in any real blowout games, as it is forcing this team to play 60 minutes against all competition (though they did take their foot off the pedal a bit in the 3rd), and that is a good thing.

At this point, there simply isnt any team that is head and shoulders above the rest. Canada will have a fight today with Sweden, and the US will have a tough go from the Swiss as well. The US are a medal contending team, and should finish with at least the bronze. The same can be said for Canada, as anything can happen at these tournaments.

I look forward to the medal round as that is when things get fun. I hope for excellent compeition and clean play the rest of the way. The best team will win and if that is Canada, great for them; if it is the USA then great for them as well. Either way, let the kids decide the outcome...

Last edited:

G-Double

Aug 5, 2002
left coast
Visit site
you are turning into one of the biggest Canada trolls I have seen in awhile. every post you have is how great Canada is and how average the US is. it is getting stale and redundant...you need to change it up a bit already.

Somebody had to say it, I wonder what he's doing now after the Swedes really took it to Canada this afternoon. My guess, getting ready to cheer against the US, that way he won't have to change his rankings too drastically.

inoajd

Dec 11, 2010
The first time I saw this thread all I could think of was "Canada is weak on defense". Saw it in the pre-tournament game against Sweden and again tonight.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The first time I saw this thread all I could think of was "Canada is weak on defense". Saw it in the pre-tournament game against Sweden and again tonight.

Oh come on! Canada only let in 5 in regulation against Sweden. They are a brick wall on defense!:sarcasm:

The US has 3 wins so far.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
After watching Dumoulin play several games, including both here. It is safe to say he is a flop. To slow with the puck, passes are not crisp, does not think the game as quick as the others etc. Worst d on team, him and Ramage. Ramage literaly throws the puck out with head down every time. Still light years ahead of Dumoulin. His pro team must be dissapointed as it seems to be a wasted pick now. He shows how you can hide a kid on a great college team. He would get killed in major junior

US will run 4 down the stretch.

Dumoulin lead BC with a +41 rating last year and was used in all situations for the Eagles. He was a +3 on eight different occasions last year for them.

I don't really see how one can call him out based on these games. He has been smooth, relaxed, and a calming presence on the ice for the Americans. He has played a lot of big games in his career already so he's not very easily shaken.

In tight games like the one tonight, one can appreciate his simple approach to the game even more.

rangersfan212

Jun 18, 2010
The Island
Dumoulin lead BC with a +41 rating last year and was used in all situations for the Eagles. He was a +3 on eight different occasions last year for them.

I don't really see how one can call him out based on these games. He has been smooth, relaxed, and a calming presence on the ice for the Americans. He has played a lot of big games in his career already so he's not very easily shaken.

In tight games like the one tonight, one can appreciate his simple approach to the game even more.

A cone on the ice could have been a plus with BC last year

Dont want to beat a dead horse but did you watch the game? He was the one who coughed it up with 3 minutes to go and gave them a dead scoring chance. His "simple" approach was exposed and almost cost them the game. If not for Campbell, another shootout was coming.
He has done nothing to enhance his pro rep, nothing. Swiss had 4 d better at least.

I have no idea how you can say that after almost choking, actually did choke but got bailed out.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Somebody had to say it, I wonder what he's doing now after the Swedes really took it to Canada this afternoon. My guess, getting ready to cheer against the US, that way he won't have to change his rankings too drastically.

I am going to have to change my ranking and, you are correct, not too dramatically...

Sweden
Canada
Russia
US
Finland

Sweden was Spectacular today. Best game I have seen anyone play all tournament - by far. I believe Canada and Sweden will meet in the finals. I hope the results are different.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I am going to have to change my ranking and, you are correct, not too dramatically...

FIXED*

Sweden
US
Russia
Canada
Finland

Honestly, if these are power rankings - US needs to be higher, and Canada has to drop more as the have lost a game. Being reining champs puts them in the top 3 at least.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Honestly, if these are power rankings - US needs to be higher, and Canada has to drop more as the have lost a game. Being reining champs puts them in the top 3 at least.

I disagree. I believe Canada and Sweden are the 2 best teams at this tournament. Russia was close. I can't rank the US higher then forth because of the difficulty they are having beating teams in an incredibly weak pool.

Sweden
Canada
Russia
US
Findland

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I will always stand by my country.

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
Rangersfan can you tell us how Dumolin sucks again? Its amazing how a player so terrible can lead the team in +/- and only be on the ice for one of the team GA.

Just goes to show how you know nothing about what you are talking about and are just talking out of your ass.

rangersfan212

Jun 18, 2010
The Island
He does not suck, has the potential to be a 4-6 guy someday, maybe

My point was how in the heck can Vagrant say what he did after thye play he made at the end of the game. How is that "calming", "relaxed", "simple" etc?

He literally coughed it up with 3 minutes to go in a one goal game. Biggest turnover of the game.

He is fine, far superior to Ramage who looks like a 4th line hs kid with head down throwing it out every time

To say this after that play makes no sense

"In tight games like the one tonight, one can appreciate his simple approach to the game even more"

I know the Swiss appreciated the simple approach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad