WC: USA Roster

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Kane said he may participate. Last fall he rejected but said today he had seconds though after rejection.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I think Housley should be coach this year. Yes, Buffalo has been terrible again this season but without defence and great goalie its pretty hard job for him. Hynes is another option if Devils can't make playoffs. Underrated coach for sure. Blashill has been hard spot with declining Red Wings but i don't rate him too highly. I think last year result could have been much better with another coach.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Kane said he may participate. Last fall he rejected but said today he had seconds though after rejection.

Would be huge. I'll believe it when I see it, but if Kane signs on early, he could jumpstart a lot of others to want to play, especially the other impact players.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Would be huge. I'll believe it when I see it, but if Kane signs on early, he could jumpstart a lot of others to want to play, especially the other impact players.
I think when you look at what could be coming from Chicago, it actually for once is a legit shot Kane comes. DeBrincat and Schmaltz alone could lure him here. factor in Murphy and Saad who could come as well along with Hinostroza and half the damn team could be Hawks players - most of these names have not been the problem for the Hawks this year outside of Saad - so take all these guys you can get they have played well this year despite the rest of the team taking a dump.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
I think when you look at what could be coming from Chicago, it actually for once is a legit shot Kane comes. DeBrincat and Schmaltz alone could lure him here. factor in Murphy and Saad who could come as well along with Hinostroza and half the damn team could be Hawks players - most of these names have not been the problem for the Hawks this year outside of Saad - so take all these guys you can get they have played well this year despite the rest of the team taking a dump.

Right, these are legit players looking for a positive ending of their season, and it could be a WIN-WIN-WIN situation for them, Team USA, and all hockey fans watching the games in Denmark.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It's a shame this is how so many American players view this tournament (bold my own emphasis):
‘‘Even last year, I was thinking about it quite a bit,’’ Kane said. ‘‘After I didn’t go last year, I was thinking that maybe I should have went. Obviously, there are different circumstances every time around. We’ll go through them all, whether it’s location or strength of team, who else is going, how the body’s feeling at the end of the season — different things like that.’’

It shouldn't be this way, but it is, and that's why it's so important that some of the high-profile guys (Kane, Gaudreau, Eichel, Keller, etc.) sign up to play, and do so early. If they do, you'll get guys that might have passed to instead join too because they'll want to play with those types of players.

Last edited:
Reactions: SanDogBrewin

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
It's a shame this is how so many American players view this tournament (bold my own emphasis):

It shouldn't be this way, but it is, and that's why it's so important that some of the high-profile guys (Kane, Gaudreau, Eichel, Keller, etc.) sign up to play, and do so early. If they d0, you'll get guys that might have passed to instead join too because they'll want to play with those types of players.

I agree. I think US have to conquer this tournament once before this attitude changes.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
well, McDavid is going for Canada, if we can't get a number of our young guns to go I will just snap. if the best player in the league can go after such a disappointing year, there is no reason why we can't get a Kaner plus Keller, Schmaltz, Tkachuk, DeBrincat, Gaudreau, Dvorak, Galchenyuk, etc...I am not listing Eichel because he has come off a pretty serious injury, I doubt he goes or is even thinking about it unless Kane announces right away he is in.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think Housley should be coach this year. Yes, Buffalo has been terrible again this season but without defence and great goalie its pretty hard job for him. Hynes is another option if Devils can't make playoffs. Underrated coach for sure. Blashill has been hard spot with declining Red Wings but i don't rate him too highly. I think last year result could have been much better with another coach.
I would like Housley and think he would do good here.

My bet is on either Bylsma or Capuano - both not doing much right now and Bylsma is on NHL Network so he can jump in right away- not asking for either, but my gut tells me we get one of these guys...or a Tony Granato!! lol

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
well, McDavid is going for Canada, if we can't get a number of our young guns to go I will just snap. if the best player in the league can go after such a disappointing year, there is no reason why we can't get a Kaner plus Keller, Schmaltz, Tkachuk, DeBrincat, Gaudreau, Dvorak, Galchenyuk, etc...I am not listing Eichel because he has come off a pretty serious injury, I doubt he goes or is even thinking about it unless Kane announces right away he is in.

Also, people here in Denmark simply expect the US to come up with an exciting squad; competition in the stronger Herning group will be very tough.

Jez

Jun 6, 2017
New York
Also, people here in Denmark simply expect the US to come up with an exciting squad; competition in the stronger Herning group will be very tough.

Oh...they might be disappointed. Lack of interest, UFAs and RFAs, injuries, down years...It's going to be hard to put a strong together a roster this year.

The young players seem more eager to represent the US. Mainly thanks to the Program I think. Players become close when they play with the NTDP and the importance of international competition is engrained into them. Also helps that they have won a lot of these tournaments in the past few years.

Eichel (far from 100%), Hanifin (RFA), McAvoy (playoffs), Larkin (RFA), Matthews (playoffs), Werenski (playoffs), Tkachuk (injured), Keller, Fischer, Miller...Add-in other young players like Gaudreau, Boeser (injured), Connor (playoffs), Schmaltz, Trocheck (?), Trouba (playoffs), Gibson (?), Hellebuyck (playoffs), DeBrincat, Jones (playoffs), Slavin, Skjei... and you would usually have a great core. Especially with some of the NCAA guys transitioning to the NHL like Troy Terry.

For this year the best hope for USA Hockey to build a strong roster will be to get Kane to commit and also have players who want to honor Jim Johansson's memory. Pretty sad that is has to come to this.

Taking into account injuries, the current standings and contract status here is what the initial roster can look like if everything falls in place perfectly:

Lee - Trocheck - Kane
Gaudreau - Stepan - Brown
Galchenyuk - Schmaltz - Keller
Kreider - Hayes - Bjugstad
Saad/Dzingel

Slavin - Faulk
Yandle - Petry
Skjei - Johns
Leddy

Quick
Lindgren
Oettinger

The likely scenario is that we end up with only 5 maybe 6 of the players above. I hope I'm wrong.

Obviously some players will join after their playoff runs end but that's usually 2 or 3 guys not 15 players.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Oh...they might be disappointed. Lack of interest, UFAs and RFAs, injuries, down years...It's going to be hard to put a strong together a roster this year.

The young players seem more eager to represent the US. Mainly thanks to the Program I think. Players become close when they play with the NTDP and the importance of international competition is engrained into them. Also helps that they have won a lot of these tournaments in the past few years.

Eichel (far from 100%), Hanifin (RFA), McAvoy (playoffs), Larkin (RFA), Matthews (playoffs), Werenski (playoffs), Tkachuk (injured), Keller, Fischer, Miller...Add-in other young players like Gaudreau, Boeser (injured), Connor (playoffs), Schmaltz, Trocheck (?), Trouba (playoffs), Gibson (?), Hellebuyck (playoffs), DeBrincat, Jones (playoffs), Slavin, Skjei... and you would usually have a great core. Especially with some of the NCAA guys transitioning to the NHL like Troy Terry.

For this year the best hope for USA Hockey to build a strong roster will be to get Kane to commit and also have players who want to honor Jim Johansson's memory. Pretty sad that is has to come to this.

Taking into account injuries, the current standings and contract status here is what the initial roster can look like if everything falls in place perfectly:

Lee - Trocheck - Kane
Gaudreau - Stepan - Brown
Galchenyuk - Schmaltz - Keller
Kreider - Hayes - Bjugstad
Saad/Dzingel

Slavin - Faulk
Yandle - Petry
Skjei - Johns
Leddy

Quick
Lindgren
Oettinger

The likely scenario is that we end up with only 5 maybe 6 of the players above. I hope I'm wrong.

Obviously some players will join after their playoff runs end but that's usually 2 or 3 guys not 15 players.

If the U.S. manages to come up with these two great lines around Trocheck and Stepan (maybe even without Gaudreau) , and players like Slavin, Yandle and Petry man the defense, plus a good goalie like Quick, then I'm optimistic they won't get hammered by Denmark, Latvia and Germany. :D

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Gaudreau is leaving the Flames to spend time with his sick father - forget adding him folks....

but Eichel scored today, so maybe some hope if he finishes strong and wants to keep going for missing so much time the past 2 years

Jez

Jun 6, 2017
New York
Could you explain this to someone who just started getting into hockey, please?

All three of them are going to be Restricted Free Agents (RFA). Skjei and Hanifin's entry level contracts (ELC – which are capped) are up at the end of this year and they are due for a raise. The conditions to become an Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA) are that a player needs to have played 7 seasons in the league or be at least 27 when his contract ends.

Players with expiring contracts don't usually go to the World Championships. An injury could impact how much they get on their next contract or make negotiations more difficult.

Larkin is in the same situation this year as well. Because Eichel signed an extension last summer his new contract will kick-in when his ELC ends at the end of the season so he will not hit free agency at all.

Hope it helps (and that I'm right!)

Reactions: Frannel

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Could you explain this to someone who just started getting into hockey, please?

Players who are medically cleared to continue playing once their club season has concluded and are free to join their respective National Teams will always cite contractual status (UFA/RFA) as a reason to decline an invite to the WHC. It's perhaps the #1 reason for players declining, followed by lingering injuries, the bumps and bruises of a long NHL season -exhaustion, family obligations, new born kids, wedding to plan etc. etc. etc.

This is much more prevalent with North American players, especially American, than it is with European.

Reactions: Frannel

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
All three of them are going to be Restricted Free Agents (RFA). Skjei and Hanifin's entry level contracts (ELC – which are capped) are up at the end of this year and they are due for a raise. The conditions to become an Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA) are that a player needs to have played 7 seasons in the league or be at least 27 when his contract ends.
Yes, thanks, that helped a lot already. So basically Hanifin is not prohibited from going he will just simply not go so that he won't limit his chances for a qualifying offer - did I get that right?

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
Players who are medically cleared to continue playing once their club season has concluded and are free to join their respective National Teams will always cite contractual status (UFA/RFA) as a reason to decline an invite to the WHC. It's perhaps the #1 reason for players declining, followed by lingering injuries, the bumps and bruises of a long NHL season -exhaustion, family obligations, new born kids, wedding to plan etc. etc. etc.

This is much more prevalent with North American players, especially American, than it is with European.
Obviously. It is such an honor to make it into the national team here in Europe, I don't think there would be any players declining that offer just because of their contract status - also if you make it to the national team you won't have a hard time finding a DEL team in Germany willing to give you a contract no matter what... but that's just a gut feeling ;-)

Jez

Jun 6, 2017
New York
Yes, thanks, that helped a lot already. So basically Hanifin is not prohibited from going he will just simply not go so that he won't limit his chances for a qualifying offer - did I get that right?

Well, qualifying offers are just for one year. A player like Hanifin who is an important part of the future for his franchise (or a trade asset) is going to get a new contract. He could get something close to what Slavin got last year.

But yes, I don't think the teams and agents like it when their players go to the WC without a contract for the following season.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

Maybe Eichel does go ? He’s been playing great sense he’s came back. Might want to keep it going since he missed a significant part of the season. Well i’m hoping anyways.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Maybe Eichel does go ? He’s been playing great sense he’s came back. Might want to keep it going since he missed a significant part of the season. Well i’m hoping anyways.
well I have more hope now that Mittlestadt just signed...I think Casey is a lock to come and Eichel hopefully will come with him. I saw a lot of emotion from Jack last night, you can see how bad he wants some positives and his passion was coming out in his goals...hopefully he had a good time last year in spite of our outcome to want to come back...just get him a bit more help, eh Kaner???

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I heard he wasn't playing well at all, he had not had a point or maybe just a single assist since his return until he broke out with 2 goals last game.

Anyway, I guess it all depends on how motivated he is to actually play in this thing in regards to how excited American fans should be about him coming over as he played last year and he was awful, he really was.

He might not add all that much, it's all up to Jack.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I heard he wasn't playing well at all, he had not had a point or maybe just a single assist since his return until he broke out with 2 goals last game.

Anyway, I guess it all depends on how motivated he is to actually play in this thing in regards to how excited American fans should be about him coming over as he played last year and he was awful, he really was.

He might not add all that much, it's all up to Jack.

well if McDavid can go play, I think Eichel needs to follow suit...They are the 1-2 punch for their draft and Eichel will forever be linked to him...how does it look when Canada's superstar can come but you don't if healthy??? If you want to be held in an elite category, have to do what the elite do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad