WC: USA Roster

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I know that there is plenty of opportunity for frustration but I'm gonna feel good about this. We got some guys to come.....we had a successful run... hopefully guys start thinking "i wanna join this and end that drought". I choose to view the glass as half full.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm proud of this team. They were very resilient after a couple of setbacks (the Finland and Sweden games) and came out with a medal. Good building block.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
No I don’t think players are pissed at other players for not coming. US born players have every right to stay home if they want. Players like Larkin and Lee would stop coming if they found out USA hockey were black listing other US players. It would back fire in heartbeat.

Brian Burke gets mad becuase Bobby Ryan’s agent was tough in negotiations. So what does Burke do ? Makes sure Ryan doesn’t go play for Olympic Gold. This is why other hockey Internationl organizations and fans make fun of USA hockey. If you start black listing that will get around and NHL players participation will dwindle to nothing. College players and AHL players.

So good plan trying to be tough like Brian Burke.
really???

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm proud of this team. They were very resilient after a couple of setbacks (the Finland and Sweden games) and came out with a medal. Good building block.
I am damn proud of them as well...especially those that continue to answer the call..they fought back all game, even though they had like 14 power plays lol!!! I do hope this is a spark for better things ahead - more players coming and not automatically turning it down now that Kane came a long with some other top talent, and another medal..

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I love Patrick Kane.
absolutely! first time here in a decade, leads the tournament in scoring and honestly just looked like he had so much fun out there most games, and that he really enjoyed playing with a lot of these guys...Kane gets too much heat on the internet as being a dick, he once was arrogant and cocky, but he has matured and grown up and now leads by example. as a Hawks fan I hope he never is here again, but as a US fan I really do hope he can come back and finally help get us a damn Gold medal!! I really wish he came last year, I think that team could have done this if not better as well.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
So how was the coaching? I still don't know what to think of Blashill in detroit
for once coaching wasn't an issue...I wish he would have tried to change a bit more around against Sweden, but hell I don't know what else could have been done there, that was 3 minutes of some of the most flukiest shit I have seen...it just deflated the whole team, I don't think the staff had much they could do there but just say keep fighting..

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
my thoughts:

I am always proud of those that come here. Always! Every guy that dons the red, white and blue always hold a special place in my heart. This team had the talent to win, they really did. The defense was a Motley Crue, but skilled and quick on the puck, exactly what you need to be here. They got their horse in McAvoy, but you could tell the kid went through a lot this year, he simply wasn't himself in the end, though still played great - just he sets a high bar for himself. I hope he comes back as well, and with a healthier season under his belt.

The ones who didn't come - well, no point in talking about it anymore, these guys did come and they played with their hearts on their sleeves even in a game against Sweden that after watching it again I still can't comprehend what went down there.

I have no issues with the coaching staff at all, they played to this teams strength, I liked the line usage, and had no issues on the d pairings either. Only thing could be they should have given Milano more ice time, I have no idea why he was stapled to the bench especially in the earlier games..but outside of that, no issues.

For specific players I will say this -

Chris Kreider - I loved him here. 10 points overall...His speed is absolute elite, his back check on McDavid was something I still can't believe as he hammed McD as well...it was beautiful!! Kreider is a guy that when you watch play you wonder how he doesn't dominate every night - it is frustrating because he has the size, speed, and skill to be a beast. He was one of the first to join this team, had a close bond with JJ, and said he already had his summer when he missed a few months...have to love that and to see a player of his ilk coming here speaks volumes for a hopeful bright future.

Cam Atkinson - he was a surprise for most of us as we simply were unsure if he would come..no tweets, rumors or anything..his name was just there on the final roster and we were pumped!! Thank God he came as he really bounced back in the second half of the year and carried it here. You know he came to play with Kane, and you could tell they were becoming buddies on the bench always joking with each other. Cam scored a lot of big goals here and formed one hell of a power play with Kaner. He has a ton of skill and hopefully we see him again as well.

Patrick Kane - not much needs be said towards our Captain - he stirred the drink every game, everything ran through him. He led the tournament in scoring and generally looked like he was honored to be here and absolutely enjoyed his time regardless of a bronze..if he comes again, it will be another great team, but I think we might have said good bye to Kaner in this tournament...who knows..

Johnny Gaudreau - we all know this wasn't the best for Johnny. He worked hard out there, you saw him really trying, just things weren't going in for him. He made so many great passes, put up a lot of points as well, but the slashes he kept getting got to him and he snapped a few times out there. I am sure the loss of his dad has made this even harder, but he came despite all of that, and I will never say a bad thing about him period. One of the games most electric players, answers the call for the US, and though he might not ever come back with how he got wacked around out there, he played with his heart and just let a few situations get the best of him. Thanks for being here throughout all the shit you dealt with prior while others couldn't bother to miss a horse race.

Dylan Larkin - I am pretty confident if there is one guy we see again next year, this is him. You can just see how he holds himself when he talks about USA Hockey, how much he loves being here and the passion he shows on the ice. He has been one of my favs since his USNDP days, and so proud we have at least a few of these guys like Canada has with O'Reilly who will answer the call as long as we keep calling..He is our next Ryan Kesler, hopefully we get lucky and get a healthy Matt Tkachuk and Brock Boeser to join Larkin next year!!

Anders Lee - The other "big surprise" like Atkinson - we even were told he declined because of a wedding, and yet there his name was for the 3rd time!! You can tell how much Lee loves playing for his country he just showed it this entire tournament. I wish he would have connected on a few more of those tip ins, but big ice hockey isn't Lee's best place to showcase his ability...but he still played well, had 4 goals in the tournament and overall was a net presence each and every game. I love the guy for being here, and wish him nothing but the best as the 27 year old likely has done his tour of duty for the US.

Alex DeBrincat - had an up and down tournament. When Alex was at his best, it was buzzing around the net and creating offensive chances. When he was at his worst is when he was continually by the point forcing tight passes which lead to some costly turn overs. Such a bright future ahead for this kid, and so happy he holds no grudges like some apparently do with USA Hockey as he was cut from the WJC team after being on the team the year prior. He is a 30-40 NHL goal scorer, that will be back here and in more prominent roles.

Nick Bonino - I am glad he came here, obviously for the GWG goal today hahaha!! But he did what he was advertised to do, play strong down the middle, solid at the dot, and a good veteran presence on a pretty young group. You can tell he is never going to be confused for Auston Matthews out there, but he added a lot to this team and stabilized our lines which was the most important thing he could do here.

Colin White - It was hard really to say how good/or bad he played here. He really wasn't that noticeable in either a positive or negative way and I guess that is a good thing as he just soldiered along and did his job. Kane requested him for his center over Bonino and Coleman, so that should tell you the confidence Kane had with him. I liked White out there as a 3rd or 4th line center, not as a #1 center with Kaner...but he did the best he could, he likely will e back here again on a rebuilding Sens team, and hopefully this sparks Colin to a great year and bright future like this tournament does for so many.

Blake Coleman - I enjoyed Coleman out there. I thought he was buzzing every game out there doing the little things needed for a team to win. He simply has poor hands around the net, the guy isn't a goal scorer, but his hard work helps him put up double digit goal totals. He did what was asked of him here, and we needed guys like this to pk and shut down other teams top lines. Good soldier, would welcome him back any day.

Derek Ryan - He was good. Another solid player that worked well on the pk and power play. I think he was asked to do a bit too much early on, but when Bonino came, he settled into his role and was used perfectly. Another solid soldier type player that you have to have to win some ugly games, welcome him back any year as well!

Sonny Milano - RIP! hahaha...no clue why he didn't see more ice time, kid has skill and looked good anytime I saw him out there, didn't look happy at all every time the camera was on him, and can't blame him..hopefully he will come back one day, but I have my doubts after this. No reason he couldn't see more ice time in the beginning..oh well.

Alec Martinez - I was expecting a lot more here from Martinez who I would have to say left me feeling ho-hum. He made so many turnovers throughout this tournament, he never really seemed to find his groove. He played top pair, and drew top opposition, so I understand the pressure on him with such a young blue line around him. He got better once McAvoy came, but still made some massive turnovers that were costly. Happy to see him finally here as a 30 year old player, but didn't see the offense needed from him on that top pair that we desperately needed at times. I will take him back again, but not as a top pairing dman.

Charlie McAvoy - What more could you ask from this kid, who battled through injuries, a tough 7 game series loss to fly out here and help out his boys? I am so happy he came here, his first 2 games were just awesome as the talent just oozes with him...but you can see he was wearing down a bit by the end which one could only expect...just an explosive talent at the point that sparked this team and its blue line. Many more tournaments ahead for him hopefully down the road.

Connor Murphy - I thought he just played solid. He played a lot on the penalty kill as well as the power play. Made some huge breakups and goal saving plays throughout the tournament. Made a few bone head plays/penalties as well, but this is Murphs 5th time here, how can you not love a guy that keeps answering the call for the US. He makes a great shut down dman/3rd pairing in years we can send a better overall unit...he struggles a bit on the big ice like Lee to keep up, but he was asked to do a lot for this team and I think he did a real damn good job out there. If the Hawks suck again next year, dare we see Murph again for a 6th time???

Quinn Hughes - Lol, can't believe how well he played. He was sheltered in the first 2 games, then that went out the window and the kid was on the ice for all situations and points of the game. Hughes just looked real good out there, happy to know he likely will be here again next year and whoever lands this kid has a NHL ready dman right now. Kid held his own out there and came away more impressive than he was going in, which many thought wasn't possible.

Will Butcher - He was our top dman on the point for power plays, was silky smooth out there in passing and positional play. Very impressed with Butcher who has really worked hard over the years to be a a better overall player. He was used correctly this year for the Devils and should earn an even bigger role next year with how well he showed here. Bright future ahead for him as well.

Keith Kinkaid - I have nothing bad to say here, the guy was the only one who came at this position that was a NHL starter/border line starter and he played well for most of the tournament. He typically made the saves he needed to, though I wish he would have been able to stop a few against Finland/Sweden that got in. He isn't the reason why we didn't get to the Gold, he played strong when he needed to against Canada and would take him back any year as it seems we might be in tough for goaltending for the next few years until Gillies, Needle, or Demko start making it in the show.

Overall proud of these boys - they did the best they could with what they had. I wish we had a few more weapons that showed up, but now maybe a few more younger guys like Keller, Dvorak, Boeser, Mittelstadt, Matthew and Brady Tkachuk, Eichel, Hanifin, etc all come next year along with other proven top talent...

It was a great tournament to watch overall, a lot of solid teams and as long as the competition gets better I think more top players will come as Denmark, Swiss, Czechs, Latvia, etc are now teams that can win on any given night...players generally didn't want to come to get cheap shotted game in and game out by B or C level teams/players...I think that is changing and this tournament is showing that.

Bronze medal winners- Team USA - this was a great team, thanks for the 3 weeks of enjoyable hockey!

Last edited:

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Big thanks to @AmericanDream for all the info and interaction in all things USA hockey.

Makes it a lot easier for some of us bandwagon fans to jump on for the big tournaments and I always enjoy reading his posts like the monster he just posted in this tread.

Hoping this tournament will be a good building block for USA hockey going forward and see some of these guys come back and help us win a gold medal someday.

Reactions: usahockey22flyers

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Big thanks to @AmericanDream for all the info and interaction in all things USA hockey.

Makes it a lot easier for some of us bandwagon fans to jump on for the big tournaments and I always enjoy reading his posts like the monster he just posted in this tread.

Hoping this tournament will be a good building block for USA hockey going forward and see some of these guys come back and help us win a gold medal someday.
Thanks Doc!

We are a small but loyal group, join in anytime you like, we can use all the band-wagoners as we can get lol!!!

My posts are garbage compared to some on here, trust me, wait until Bonney posts his epic post that makes mine look like toilet paper!!!

we do this for all the tournaments, WJC as well, so keep an eye on this board as much as you can!

Reactions: DrJustice

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Thanks Doc!

We are a small but loyal group, join in anytime you like, we can use all the band-wagoners as we can get lol!!!

My posts are garbage compared to some on here, trust me, wait until Bonney posts his epic post that makes mine look like toilet paper!!!

we do this for all the tournaments, WJC as well, so keep an eye on this board as much as you can!

You know toilet paper is never appreciated until it’s not there when you need it you know. Like today while hiking and after eating something wrong the night before I would have paid a lot of money for toilet paper where I was.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Blake Coleman - I enjoyed Coleman out there. I thought he was buzzing every game out there doing the little things needed for a team to win. He simply has poor hands around the net, the guy isn't a goal scorer, but his hard work helps him put up double digit goal totals. He did what was asked of him here, and we needed guys like this to pk and shut down other teams top lines. Good soldier, would welcome him back any day.

Will Butcher - He was our top dman on the point for power plays, was silky smooth out there in passing and positional play. Very impressed with Butcher who has really worked hard over the years to be a a better overall player. He was used correctly this year for the Devils and should earn an even bigger role next year with how well he showed here. Bright future ahead for him as well.

Keith Kinkaid - I have nothing bad to say here, the guy was the only one who came at this position that was a NHL starter/border line starter and he played well for most of the tournament. He typically made the saves he needed to, though I wish he would have been able to stop a few against Finland/Sweden that got in. He isn't the reason why we didn't get to the Gold, he played strong when he needed to against Canada and would take him back any year as it seems we might be in tough for goaltending for the next few years until Gillies, Needle, or Demko start making it in the show.

I feel like you were spot on for all three of these guys and your descriptions could just be translated over to the Devils season.

Coleman was third in individual high danger scoring chances or whatever it's called for the Devils behind Hall and Nico all year. Just consistently finds a way to generate chances, but can't finish for some reason.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You know toilet paper is never appreciated until it’s not there when you need it you know. Like today while hiking and after eating something wrong the night before I would have paid a lot of money for toilet paper where I was.
I don't think I have ever seen toilet paper used in such a bright context!! thank you my friend, my spirits have totally been lifted!!! until the next tournament we all bitch about hahahaha!!

Reactions: Xokkeu

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
my thoughts:
Colin White - It was hard really to say how good/or bad he played here. He really wasn't that noticeable in either a positive or negative way and I guess that is a good thing as he just soldiered along and did his job. Kane requested him for his center over Bonino and Coleman, so that should tell you the confidence Kane had with him. I liked White out there as a 3rd or 4th line center, not as a #1 center with Kaner...but he did the best he could, he likely will e back here again on a rebuilding Sens team, and hopefully this sparks Colin to a great year and bright future like this tournament does for so many.

Where did you get that bit?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Where did you get that bit?
after Bonino's first game, Kane requested to play with White over Bonino, said he liked working with him better. It was reported numerous times and Ferraro and Hughes said it a number of times over the last 3-4 games on air...

Kane requested to play with Colin White as his center....I think he built some chemistry with him and felt Bonino would fit in better between Gaudreau.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
FOUR U.S. PLAYER RECORDS BROKEN

Three players on the U.S. Men's National Team broke four U.S. tournament records at the 2018 IIHF Men's World Championship. Captain Patrick Kane (Buffalo, N.Y.) set U.S. set U.S. single tournament records in both points (20) and assists (12). Alternate captain Dylan Larkin (Waterford, Mich.) finished the tournament with six assists, giving him a U.S. career record of 22 assists in IIHF Men's World Championship play. Additionally, Keith Kinkaid (Farmingville, N.Y.) won seven of the nine games he played, tying Ed Maki (1939) and Connor Hellebuyck (2015) for the U.S. single tournament record for most wins by a goaltender at seven.

U.S. TEAM RECORDS BROKEN

In addition to the player records broken, the United States has tied or set three team records, all of which came in Team USA's 13-1 win over Korea on May 11.
With 25 shots on goal in the first period, the U.S. established a new team record for most shots in a single period, besting the old record of 22 set on April 22, 1996 in the second periodagainst Austria (W, 5-1). The first period also saw two U.S.power-play goals and one for Korea, marking the third time that has ever happened in a U.S. game. It previously occurred in the third period on April 27, 2009, versus Austria (W, 6-1) and again in the second period on May 15, 2010, against Kazakhstan (W,10-0). Additionally, Team USA's five power-play goals againstKorea tied the 1986 U.S. Men's National Team that registeredfive on the man-advantage against Poland on April 13, 1986.

GAUDREAU, KANE, LARKIN CLIMB ALL-TIME U.S. POINT TOTAL LIST

U.S. forwards Johnny Gaudreau (Salem, N.J.), Patrick Kane (Buffalo, N.Y.) and Dylan Larkin (Waterford, Mich.) inched closer to the all-time U.S. record for most points in tournament history, which is held by Mark Johnson, 1980 U.S. Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Team gold medalist, who tallied 33 (15-18) in 61 games. With 30 career points each in tournament play, Gaudreau (9-21) and Kane (11-19) are now tied with Craig Smith for third all-time while Larkin (7-22) shares sixth place with 2004 U.S. Hockey Hall ofFame inductee Paul Coppo at 29 points apiece. “

From USA hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad