WC: USA Roster

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
what a garbage game, God Finland plays ugly hockey. But like others have said, this better wake them up as Norway and Korea are done...need to be better, need 2nd chances, need pressure...can't coast out there anymore. US looked like they were going through the motions for most of it, facing the Czechs is going to be a battle, nobody to blame but themselves if they get bounced...but to be fair, the Swiss is a team I hate to play, I think they give this Finland team some fits...
yes sir!!!!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
All that matters at this stage is to win. Really strong start but almost let it slip away. Still, they beat a good Czech team and the refs today, which is no small feat.

Kane was a man possessed. Blashill needs to find extra shifts for Atkinson like he has for Kane.

Lots of lazy passes today by defensemen. Need to clean that up.

Not sure what game some of you were watching, but Murphy was awful. Yes, he made one good defensive play after being out of position, but he was a turnover machine today and not solid defensively either.

Guys like Bonino, Lee, and Butcher need to be a lot better than they were today. If you noticed them today, it wasn't good, and they're too important to be bad.

Jensen might over handle the puck the most on a team with guys like Kane and Gaudreau, which isn't a good thing when you're not an offensive defenseman.

Derek Ryan has been great for this team.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
All that matters at this stage is to win. Really strong start but almost let it slip away. Still, they beat a good Czech team and the refs today, which is no small feat.

Kane was a man possessed. Blashill needs to find extra shifts for Atkinson like he has for Kane.

Not sure what game some of you were watching, but Murphy was awful. Yes, he made one good defensive play after being out of position, but he was a turnover machine today and not solid defensively either.

Guys like Bonino, Lee, and Butcher need to be a lot better than they were today. If you noticed them today, it wasn't good, and they're too important to be bad.

Jensen might over handle the puck the most on a team with guys like Kane and Gaudreau, which isn't a good thing when you're not an offensive defenseman.

Bill Peters wishes he had Derek Ryan.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
why does Canada always seem to run into this with the Swiss????

it is almost like they have some agreement to play the Fins balls out, then get ass stomped by the Canucks in 2 days...unreal, Canada now cake walks into the finals just like 2010...blah

We don't have the goaltending to cakewalk anyone.

And they are gonna trap us the same way they did to Finland and so far we have only had one real line going...............whatever one Mcdavid is on. They absolutely know this and will prepare for it.

That is gonna be a tough game.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I watch all the games again with my little boys so they can see it as well since it is day games, and we focus on the Hawks players as well.. Butcher, Martinez, and McAvoy all with more turnovers than Murph. McAvoy had his worst game so far..that turnover in the final minute was horrific. Murphy made a blind dump around that the Czechs picked up in the 2nd but nothing came from it but that was his only turn over in the game that I saw. He made a number of key break ups, some excellent outlet passes as well...then he does 2 back to back massive plays which stopped the goal late in the 3rd then broke up another great chance right after it with a break up of a pass when all hell was breaking lose....

Second time through the entire game, and I will say it again, Murphy was rock solid out there...I am not sure what you are seeing that I am not Bonney...only Hughes had less turnovers that Murph today.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I watch all the games again with my little boys so they can see it as well since it is day games, and we focus on the Hawks players as well.. Butcher, Martinez, and McAvoy all with more turnovers than Murph. McAvoy had his worst game so far..that turnover in the final minute was horrific. Murphy made a blind dump around that the Czechs picked up in the 2nd but nothing came from it but that was his only turn over in the game that I saw. He made a number of key break ups, some excellent outlet passes as well...then he does 2 back to back massive plays which stopped the goal late in the 3rd then broke up another great chance right after it with a break up of a pass when all hell was breaking lose....

Second time through the entire game, and I will say it again, Murphy was rock solid out there...I am not sure what you are seeing that I am not Bonney...only Hughes had less turnovers that Murph today.

Watched the game twice and Murphy was bad. I like him and he's had a good tournament but it was a poor outing from him. The defense as a whole had a poor game, but that doesn't absolve his performance.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Watched the game twice and Murphy was bad. I like him and he's had a good tournament but it was a poor outing from him. The defense as a whole had a poor game, but that doesn't absolve his performance.
I saw one turnover, you said he was a turnover machine??? Well, Murph was the least of our problems today, and his defensive plays back to back saved the game...again, difference of opinions I guess...

boys have to get hungrier and go for the kill on Saturday or we are toast. this game should have been 4-0 by the end of the first with the missed opportunities we had..

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Well which Sweden shows up. The Sweden that should have lost to Latvia. Or the Sweden that is made up of some serious talent. They’ve seemingly scrapped by in all their games but they are undefeated for a reason.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
We don't have the goaltending to cakewalk anyone.

And they are gonna trap us the same way they did to Finland and so far we have only had one real line going...............whatever one Mcdavid is on. They absolutely know this and will prepare for it.

That is gonna be a tough game.
They didn't trap against Finland, they were simply better.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
They didn't trap against Finland, they were simply better.

Reallly?

I didn't watch the game but all I was reading from fans was saying they clogged things up trapping against Finland.

I guess that was what some fans wanted to say/think to cushion the blow of being beaten by them.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Did anyone else see this?
IIHF - Stats you’ve never seen before!

For how frustrating a tournament Gaudreau has had it's unbelievably impressive that he's completed so many passes. Only forward in the top 10 and he's ahead of 2nd by a large gap.
Exactly! It is funny because when I was going over the game again with my boys, we all just looked at each other as Gaudreau was just making passes left and right out there, and many not your everyday variety. The guy has been snake bitten on his shots, and the frustrations of getting hacked a bit have gotten to him, but on his passing game, it has been spot on. That goal Atkinson scored was all because of Gaudreau...Johnny made a beautiful almost 360 backwards pass to Bonino in tight of the point and then on to Atkinson for the beautiful finish. I don't know many who could have pulled that pass off, but it was a very pretty play.

I hope Johnny is having a good time here, you don't want to see your star players hate their experience because they got hacked, didn't perform like they wanted to, etc...I don't know if we see him again here since he has played 3 times I believe, but hopefully he wants to come back again one day.

I told my boys we might not see these guys again as they have answered the call many times already:
Gaudreau
Lee
Larkin
Murphy

they all have been here at least 3 times I believe, and Murph being in his 5th....though if anyone keeps coming back, seems Larkin is the guy who will keep coming as long as we keep asking and he is available.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Reallly?

I didn't watch the game but all I was reading from fans was saying they clogged things up trapping against Finland.

I guess that was what some fans wanted to say/think to cushion the blow of being beaten by them.
That may apply to the second half of the third period but otherwise — no.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Larkin seems to love the tournament. And the red wings seem likely to suck the next few years. Gaudreau I could see missing a few times. It’s always interesting to me what goes through these guys heads when they decide to come.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Well which Sweden shows up. The Sweden that should have lost to Latvia. Or the Sweden that is made up of some serious talent. They’ve seemingly scrapped by in all their games but they are undefeated for a reason.

Yep good for a reason. Really good passing team and puck moving. The US has to cut way down on the turnovers and have a much better breakout.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Will USA get a powerplay tomorrow? Deadliest powerplay in the tournament but refs say nope!

Either team can win it obviously. I actually prefer playing Sweden over Finland/Swiss/Latvia and the boring trap though.

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
If Patrick Kane gets at least 2 points in his last 2 games of this tournament, he’ll be the first NHLer who was active at the time of the tournament to record at least 21 points in a single tournament in IIHF World Championship history and first player period to do it in 41 years. That’s amazing

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If Patrick Kane gets at least 2 points in his last 2 games of this tournament, he’ll be the first NHLer who was active at the time of the tournament to record at least 21 points in a single tournament in IIHF World Championship history and first player period to do it in 41 years. That’s amazing
thanks for coming Kaner!!! He has been awesome and a great leader here, so happy and proud of him!! Just imagine what he could of done last year as well with Eichel, Gaudreau, Lee, Larkin, Nelson, Schmaltz, Keller, etc...if his ass would of came last year, I think they would have played for Gold with that overall team...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Will USA get a powerplay tomorrow? Deadliest powerplay in the tournament but refs say nope!

Either team can win it obviously. I actually prefer playing Sweden over Finland/Swiss/Latvia and the boring trap though.
I am going to guess no...holding is a prerequisite out here, so be prepared for some horrific officiating...I am going to do a shot of Crown every time they do not call an obstruction/interference/or hold...yes, I plan on being drunk by exactly 9:15 am tomorrow!!!!

Reactions: Kyndig

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
US dominated the first but Nilsson saved the Swedes and a Kinkaid softie started it all and it's snowballing now. Debrincat forces the puck so much to Kane it's insane; turnover machine. Gaudreau shouldn't leave the bench for at least the rest of the second, he's been playing selfish, stupid hockey all tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad