Speculation: USA Olympic Hockey Team Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
He's the GM. Greenway had his chance to sign this summer and instead manipulated his situation to get an Olympic spot out of it. Good for him if that's what he wanted, but bailing on BU after the Olympics would show poor character, and I would hope that Fletcher would want nothing to do with it.

Or he does what other FA's from the NCAA have done and are weighing their option if they'll duck out for FA instead. He's seemed shifty with the whole thing.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Or he does what other FA's from the NCAA have done and are weighing their option if they'll duck out for FA instead. He's seemed shifty with the whole thing.

He's not a FA though. He'd have to go back to school next year, then wait until the middle of August (2019) to become a FA.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
He's not a FA though. He'd have to go back to school next year, then wait until the middle of August (2019) to become a FA.

Fair enough, but IIRC he can't play in the playoffs (if they make it) if he were to officially sign with the team. Which has he signed his ELC even or do they just own his rights? Does that even matter?

So the earliest he can play is next season. All things considered, does he make the Wild on his first year when players this team have drafted have effectively never started forwards with the big league team the first year? Koivu, Granlund, Coyle, Zucker? All played AHL time before they finally became full rotation on the roster. Is he going to make it over players like Kunin who will most likely make it due to center depth?

What Reilly did to Columbus, no?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He's the GM. Greenway had his chance to sign this summer and instead manipulated his situation to get an Olympic spot out of it. Good for him if that's what he wanted, but bailing on BU after the Olympics would show poor character, and I would hope that Fletcher would want nothing to do with it.

Meh, Coyle bailed on his college team and none of us are holding it against him now.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Meh, Coyle bailed on his college team and none of us are holding it against him now.

Completely agree with the rationale too. What else does he have to prove in NCAA level play? He is going to be the teams like 5th Olympian (Parise, Suter, Koivu, Granlund) on the roster.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Fair enough, but IIRC he can't play in the playoffs (if they make it) if he were to officially sign with the team. Which has he signed his ELC even or do they just own his rights? Does that even matter?

So the earliest he can play is next season. All things considered, does he make the Wild on his first year when players this team have drafted have effectively never started forwards with the big league team the first year? Koivu, Granlund, Coyle, Zucker? All played AHL time before they finally became full rotation on the roster. Is he going to make it over players like Kunin who will most likely make it due to center depth?

He could play in the Playoffs if they wanted him too. McAvoy did last year for Boston. He signed his ELC Apr 10th, didn't play a regular season NHL game (4 AHL games), and played 6 games in the Playoffs. It burned a year off his ELC.

Greenway hasn't signed his ELC with the Wild; that would make him a pro player and ineligible to play in the NCAA.

Rookie year games:
Coyle-37 NHL/47 AHL (lockout season)
Granny- 27 NHL/29 AHL (lockout season)
JEE- is effectively on his rookie season

I don't think Greenway makes the team out of camp next year. The 12th FWD spot is the only thing that's open without getting rid of a FWD or two. He could probably fill the 4th line role, but would be better suited playing bigger minutes in the AHL (same as Kunin this year and Tuch last year). Mid-season/injury callup is more likely for Greenway (like Granny/Coyle)

Under contract or RFA:
Granny/Koivu/Zucker(RFA)
Nino/Staal/Coyle
Parise/JEE/Ennis
Foligno/Kunin/???

I do think the Wild could use burning a year off his ELC at the end of this season as a bargaining chip to get him to sign.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

He can absolutely play in the playoffs. He's on the wild's reserve list as a drafted player. Chris Kreider's first game was a playoff game. Vlad Sobotka and Radulov both in the past have played in the playoffs after signing in April because they were on the reserve list as defected players.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I think Jordan Schroeder would have been a good choice if he wasn't getting 4th line minutes in Columbus. (0 points in 13 games and -5) If he was a full time AHL player, I think he would have been there or at least considered unless he took a huge dive from last season.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think Jordan Schroeder would have been a good choice if he wasn't getting 4th line minutes in Columbus. (0 points in 13 games and -5) If he was a full time AHL player, I think he would have been there or at least considered unless he took a huge dive from last season.
Schroeder has an NHL contract

Wabit

May 23, 2016

He could have asked for an outright release. But, it probably would have signaled the end of his NHL career. NHL front office might blackball him because of their stance on the Olympics.

He's been waiver wire fodder at a couple of times this year. He's in the same position there that he was here.

I've thought for years he would be a really good player on the bigger ice.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

I am aware, thank you.

Simply making the point Wabit made (Thank you) that if he were to ask for that release, he could have played for the country again.

The dude thrives in a USA sweater, all time US points leader in the WJC (granted, he played in 3) and as Wabit said, big ice helps him.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I am aware, thank you.

Simply making the point Wabit made (Thank you) that if he were to ask for that release, he could have played for the country again.

The dude thrives in a USA sweater, all time US points leader in the WJC (granted, he played in 3) and as Wabit said, big ice helps him.
You want a guy to quit his job, terminate his contract, and alienate himself to NHL GM's, just to play in the Olympics?

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
You want a guy to quit his job, terminate his contract, and alienate himself to NHL GM's, just to play in the Olympics?

Yeah that's what I said. :thumbu:

Literally every one of your posts come across and condescending frankly, it's getting ridiculous. I'll be steering clear from now.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yeah that's what I said. :thumbu:

Literally every one of your posts come across and condescending frankly, it's getting ridiculous. I'll be steering clear from now.
How else does he get to the Olympics without doing exactly that?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Asking for his release =/= quitting his job & terminating his own contract.
That's exactly what it would mean. He would be jepardizing his NHL career. What happens after the Olympics are over? Just hope some other team is willing to sign you?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That's exactly what it would mean. He would be jepardizing his NHL career. What happens after the Olympics are over? Just hope some other team is willing to sign you?

To be honest, there isn't much of an NHL career to jeopardize.

Anyways, if it was purely a request, and it was done respectfully, I don't think there'd be lingering effects. However, if the GM said "no" and Schroeder said "screw you, I'm doing it anyway", then yeah, probably would be some issues then.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
To be honest, there isn't much of an NHL career to jeopardize.

Anyways, if it was purely a request, and it was done respectfully, I don't think there'd be lingering effects. However, if the GM said "no" and Schroeder said "screw you, I'm doing it anyway", then yeah, probably would be some issues then.
That first line is pretty easy for you or me to say, probably a little harder for a guy who has been chasing that dream his entire life. Also, the "screw you, I'm doing it anyway" wouldn't even be an option.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
That first line is pretty easy for you or me to say, probably a little harder for a guy who has been chasing that dream his entire life. Also, the "screw you, I'm doing it anyway" wouldn't even be an option.

I don't think USA hockey would take him if he did that. It's not worth the possibility of a feud/bad blood with the NHL.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

If he would've retired two or three weeks ago, and then asked the committee for consideration, he wouldn't have been eligible to be selected?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If he would've retired two or three weeks ago, and then asked the committee for consideration, he wouldn't have been eligible to be selected?

I think he would have been eligible in that scenario. Gionta is the "C" but he retired before the season. But would the committee have selected him if he did that? I dunno.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I didn't know Schroeder signed a 2 year deal. The 2nd year pays $300k more if he's stuck in the AHL: $350k guaranteed (17-18), $650k guaranteed (18-19). That is a lot of incentive for him not opt out of his contract, in all of these hypothetical scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad