Usa In 06'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transported Upstater

VOB said:
This year's American team will be in tough against this year's Canadian team (you vastly underestimate them) let alone last year's Canadian squad.

That team was in a class all by itself and could have easily put a beatdown on anyone.

So VOB, I guess that makes you and I Canadian since we compliment Canada's '05 team...
(KEEP IN MIND EVERYONE...THAT TEAM DID NOT HAVE ERIC STAAL OR NATHAN HORTON either... that would have been brutal.)

And to clarify:

I do think the Uinted States should beat Canada this year. I won't consider it a dissapointment if we don't, but I believe this is a great chance.

espo*

AmericanDream said:
a bloddy pulp? I doubt that. Lets not get carried away here. Canada had a great team last year, but I would put this group of American boys up against that team anyday. USA might win or it might not, but it sure as heck wouldnt be a beatdown one way or the other.
You may do that but i think you'd be very dissapointed.The last two times there was an nhl lock-out Canada pretty much wiped the floor with all comers,Coincidence? Not to people who know the game and it's history.Your team is going to be really good this year in all probability but most likely not on that level, it's just a matter of the talent differential that still exists between those two hockey playing countries.Your best team ever this year? Maybe, a team that would go into a game on paper even stevens against a Canadian lock-out juggernaut squad like last year? Not likely. Yes,they might win and they might lose,with the biggest MiGHT in all probability being on the might lose side.Don't get carried away.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
TransportedUpstater said:
So VOB, I guess that makes you and I Canadian since we compliment Canada's '05 team...
(KEEP IN MIND EVERYONE...THAT TEAM DID NOT HAVE ERIC STAAL OR NATHAN HORTON either... that would have been brutal.)

And to clarify:

I do think the Uinted States should beat Canada this year. I won't consider it a dissapointment if we don't, but I believe this is a great chance.

staal is an 84

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
And to clarify:

I am not so confident. I believe that the U.S. team is as good as Canada but not exactly better than them. I just don't see where the U.S. team has a difinitive advantage over their Canadian counterparts.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
VOB said:
I am not so confident. I believe that the U.S. team is as good as Canada but not exactly better than them. I just don't see where the U.S. team has a difinitive advantage over their Canadian counterparts.

Personally, I think the U.S. has slight advantages at every position, but where I think the U.S. will really benefit is by having a more "mature" squad that features several players who have alot of experiencing playing with each other. Canada will certainly be there talent-wise, but I don't know if they'll have the jam to get it done this year.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
VOB said:
This year's American team will be in tough against this year's Canadian team (you vastly underestimate them) let alone last year's Canadian squad.

That team was in a class all by itself and could have easily put a beatdown on anyone.

I don't think it's an issue of "vastly underestimating" the Canadian squad, but rather highlighting what several "experts" have already said: The U.S. should be considered the favorite at this year's tournament. Every year there has to be a favorite, and that happens to be the U.S team, just like it was a couple of years ago.

Transported Upstater

orangeandblack said:
staal is an 84

Oh yeah, never mind the Staal thing, I forgot he was a late born '84; he played 3 years with Peterborogh before the '03 draft...those late birthdays are confusing...

On a similar note John Tavares will have played 4 years of junior before his draft year (late born 1990), which is pretty hilarious. If the lucky team that drafts him in '09 sends him to the minors at any point, they can thus send him straight to the AHL, because he had played 4 years of CHL hockey.

Transported Upstater

Rabid Ranger said:
I don't think it's an issue of "vastly underestimating" the Canadian squad, but rather highlighting what several "experts" have already said: The U.S. should be considered the favorite at this year's tournament. Every year there has to be a favorite, and that happens to be the U.S team, just like it was a couple of years ago.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

That's all I'm saying, is that the USA should be the favored team this year, and I would like to see a win against the Canadian team, since there was little chance of that happening last year...

espo*

I couldn't have said it better myself.

That's all I'm saying, is that the USA should be the favored team this year, and I would like to see a win against the Canadian team, since there was little chance of that happening last year...
Sure,they're the favourite,tons of talent.Look up and down their roster and you'll see lot's of skill with a good mix from what i hear.Some of their players you'll have to fill me in on because i don't get to see em but i hear enough of them here.So let's go lone Ranger(that would be you rabid)........................give me the low-down on all the guys you think will make their squad.Strengths,what lines you're looking for.Inquiring minds want to know!!

Let's see just what were up against............................you're watching these kids all the time........................you know.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I Think you guys are overestimating the impact that 17 year olds have at this tourny.

But I think the US might be a slight favourite over Canada in terms of skill but playing in front of a home crowd might even the odds a bit. Also I think Canada's Defence is gonna be tough Staal,Bourdon,Barker,Parent,Fistric and whoever else Sutter picks will be interesting to watch against the USA's speed and skill.

It would be a shame if Brandon Dubinsky is not on the USA's team. He is having a fine season in the WHL right now and would fit in on an energy line quite nicely.

espo*

Joe Hallenback said:
I Think you guys are overestimating the impact that 17 year olds have at this tourny.

But I think the US might be a slight favourite over Canada in terms of skill but playing in front of a home crowd might even the odds a bit. Also I think Canada's Defence is gonna be tough Staal,Bourdon,Barker,Parent,Fistric and whoever else Sutter picks will be interesting to watch against the USA's speed and skill.

It would be a shame if Brandon Dubinsky is not on the USA's team. He is having a fine season in the WHL right now and would fit in on an energy line quite nicely.
Yep,defense will be strong........maybe strong enough to knock them around and get them to doubt some of the press clippings they've been hearing.You want to put doubt in their mind.................Canada can do that pretty quickly with the right coaching and game plan,use the "The U.S is going to walk away with this thing"to our advantage.Always a great motivator with a headstrong canuck squad,if they are headstrong................which a good ole Sutter boy coached team should be.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Personally, I think the U.S. has slight advantages at every position, but where I think the U.S. will really benefit is by having a more "mature" squad that features several players who have alot of experiencing playing with each other. Canada will certainly be there talent-wise, but I don't know if they'll have the jam to get it doen this year.

Yes the "maturity" may give the U.S. a slight edge but that will be nullified by having the tournament hosted in Canada. Being led by Sutter and Hartsburg will ensure they have the "jam" to get it done.

I see two evenly matched teams and it will be anyones game.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
VOB said:
Yes the "maturity" may give the U.S. a slight edge but that will be nullified by having the tournament hosted in Canada. Being led by Sutter and Hartsburg will ensure they have the "jam" to get it done.

I see two evenly matched teams and it will be anyones game.

Home ice advantage is overrated IMO. As for your last point, I'll agree with that.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Personally, I think the U.S. has slight advantages at every position, but where I think the U.S. will really benefit is by having a more "mature" squad that features several players who have alot of experiencing playing with each other. Canada will certainly be there talent-wise, but I don't know if they'll have the jam to get it done this year.

You make a good point, several of these players have played together and acheived success on the international level. Porter, Fritsche, Hagemo, Kolarik, Schenider, Kessel, J. Johnson, Skille and Frazee took silver at the Under 18's two years ago. Kessel, J.Johnson, Skille, Frazee and Mueller won gold at last years Under 18. Also, Lashoff, Thelen and Pineault all played in the USNTDP. This is a talented group of kids who has experience playing together.

Is Canada going to bring a team of their absolute best 86's and 87's? Obviously not. Will they have a very talented team that will give the US all it can handle? Of course. This is the WJC, Canada lives for this tournament. All that being said, I still think the US is the favorite. It should be an awesome tournament.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
i think the US is definitely the favorite, but canada is still dangerous, we still have to play the games, but im really confident we can win the gold. this years team, with the right picks will be better then the gold medal team 2 years ago.

canadas defense will be strong, but the US defense may be a little stronger

Staal, Bourdon, Barker, Parent, Fistric is a pretty good top 5, but personally, i feel our top 5 may be even stronger

jack johnson
brian lee
matt lashoff
nate hagemo
aj thelen

sauer, chorney, e johnson, niskanen, mitera...........tough to pick the last 2. anyway, it will be really tough for this defense to not be strong, even if they dont take the guys that we all feel they should pick.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
orangeandblack said:
i think the US is definitely the favorite, but canada is still dangerous, we still have to play the games, but im really confident we can win the gold. this years team, with the right picks will be better then the gold medal team 2 years ago.

canadas defense will be strong, but the US defense may be a little stronger

Staal, Bourdon, Barker, Parent, Fistric is a pretty good top 5, but personally, i feel our top 5 may be even stronger

jack johnson
brian lee
matt lashoff
nate hagemo
aj thelen

sauer, chorney, e johnson, niskanen, mitera...........tough to pick the last 2. anyway, it will be really tough for this defense to not be strong, even if they dont take the guys that we all feel they should pick.

How is Thelan doing in Prince Albert? I just checked his stats and he's a -7. Any reports on his play thus far?

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Joe Hallenback said:

I haven't seen Dubinsky as much as other players but would he really be that great of an addition to the US team? He's a fourth year WHLer and although his stats are good (5G, 9A) He's not exactly setting the world on fire. I think that the 4th line center spot is totally up in the air. To my suprise, I think T.J. Oshie is making a pretty nice case for himself.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Word out of Grand Forks is that both Lee and Chorney are adapting very quickly to college. Both reportedly had strong Summer camps as well.

Also, there's some buzz in Minneapolis that Hagemo may miss the first half of the season, including the WJC, to rest the shoulder he hurt in last year's WJC.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Spectacular_Bid said:
How is Thelan doing in Prince Albert? I just checked his stats and he's a -7. Any reports on his play thus far?

He's a good powerplay guy and moves the puck nicely. He is an ok defender but for such a big guy he sure does play soft. To be fair though he is playing on a Raider team that has been very disappointing so far this season.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Spectacular_Bid said:
I haven't seen Dubinsky as much as other players but would he really be that great of an addition to the US team? He's a fourth year WHLer and although his stats are good (5G, 9A) He's not exactly setting the world on fire. I think that the 4th line center spot is totally up in the air. To my suprise, I think T.J. Oshie is making a pretty nice case for himself.

14 points in 10 games in the defense first WHL is pretty good. I have watched him play about 6 times this season and he is always invloved in the play. He really has picked up his game this year and is consistently one of the better players on the ice. I think he would make a great 4th line energy center causing grief for the opposing team.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
jake1 said:
Word out of Grand Forks is that both Lee and Chorney are adapting very quickly to college. Both reportedly had strong Summer camps as well.

Also, there's some buzz in Minneapolis that Hagemo may miss the first half of the season, including the WJC, to rest the shoulder he hurt in last year's WJC.

yea i think they are both studs. chorney is smallish, but hes so smart and poised that his size doesnt hurt him. lee will have a big tourney. if they lose hagemo that will hurt. he wouldnt be their best blueliner, but they are counting on his leadership, and he is the only defenseman back this year that played significant minutes last year. nodak's freshman class isnt disappointing anyone. so far i hear chorney, toews, lee, and oshie have been great, hows finley been?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
With all this talk of US and Canada leading the pack, I think everybody is overlooking Russia's chances. They're returning 10 players from last year's silver medal team, including Malkin (will be the best player at the upcoming WJC). In fact, apart from Ovechkin, most of last year's offense came from the '86s. They have Radulov, Voloshenko (currently at a point per game in AHL), Lisin, Shirokov, etc. - basically the same team that won the U-18 two years ago. Also, Finland could do well with Tukonen, Korpisoski and Nokelainen (if he's released).

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Joe Hallenback said:
He's a good powerplay guy and moves the puck nicely. He is an ok defender but for such a big guy he sure does play soft. To be fair though he is playing on a Raider team that has been very disappointing so far this season.

I've always thought for his size Thelen was soft. Here is what USHR.com had to say about Thelen and Dubinsky:

A.J. Thelen, ’86, Prince Albert (WHL). Had a bad camp. Does USA Hockey have a short or long-term memory? 13 gp, 2-5-7 (-7)

Brandon Dubinsky, ’86, Portland (WHL). A long shot. Is it tough to make this team or what? 10 gp, 5-9-14 (+1)

They think both are long shots.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Zine said:
With all this talk of US and Canada leading the pack, I think everybody is overlooking Russia's chances. They're returning 10 players from last year's silver medal team, including Malkin (will be the best player at the upcoming WJC). In fact, apart from Ovechkin, most of last year's offense came from the '86s. They have Radulov, Voloshenko (currently at a point per game in AHL), Lisin, Shirokov, etc. - basically the same team that won the U-18 two years ago. Also, Finland could do well with Tukonen, Korpisoski and Nokelainen (if he's released).

You will get no arguement from me! In fact, I predict that Russia will be labled the front runner prior to the start of the tourney.

I don't think many people here forgot about Russia, but comments were made in this thread as to how much better the U.S. was than Canada this year, and my response centered on that.

Transported Upstater

VOB said:
You will get no arguement from me! In fact, I predict that Russia will be labled the front runner prior to the start of the tourney.

I don't think many people here forgot about Russia, but comments were made in this thread as to how much better the U.S. was than Canada this year, and my response centered on that.

Exactly. I have no idea how good Russia may or may not be, but I was never debating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad