Usa In 06'

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
AmericanDream said:
I strongly agree that the US should win this tourney. Like I stated above, they will win ONLY if they pick the best team unlike last years farce. Porter is a good kid, no doubt about it. He is not highly ranked as a prospect, but is a guts and grinder type of a player which is needed. I agree with the fact that you just cant throw out all-star teams, but most of the US's young guns are all around players who can mash it up. Pineault, LaValle, Stoa, Skille, Ryan, Gerbe, Fritsche, Wheeler, and Bourque is no slouch. Also with the punishing d-men in the johnsons, Sauer and Niskanen, who the hell needs more grinders? This team doesnt need a Weller, or even in my opinion a Porter although Porter does have more talent then Weller.

It does not matter if you did not get invited to the pre camp in August to make this team, USA has already said that. Stoa has 2 months to pick up his play and show why he was a first round pick. You can dog him all you want after 4 games, but this kid will impress soon enough. I would have him on my team over Porter anyday.

Brian Lee will have a long a prosperous career in the NHL in due time, I simply said that when he was out there last WJC, Hablover, and he was outhere, he looked lost. I dont know what tourney you watched, but Brian Lee didnt ride the pine, he didnt log Pronger like minutes, but he was out there. He will be a fantastic player, and Ottawa will find that out soon enough.

Joe Palmer is no Billy Sauer. I am sorry, its not even close. You cant even compare the two. I have seen them both play, Palmer is good, he will be a second round pick at the highest, while Sauer who from every publication and scouting board knows is the best goalie in the 06' draft. He wont make this team, but will be a force next year.

I am sorry Hablover that your canuck boys couldnt even hold a candle to Americas talent this year, but I wouldnt call what I wrote "good job trying to pump these guys up." I might be new here, but you sir are an idiot. This team is loaded with first round picks, future first round picks, and just future all-star players. I dont have to pump them up, obviously everyone around the NHL who has drafted them and is salivating over drafting them soon has done a good enough job for me. You better pray Brule, Barker, and the like get to play for your team, because I wouldn't want to play the US this year.
The goalies for next years team will be Frazee and Palmer. You can take that to the bank!

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Finally! Someone to take the heat off of me! :yo:

Ranger, unlike the AmericanDream your posts are well thought out, articulate and accurate. I enjoy reading what you have to write.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
AmericanDream said:
I strongly agree that the US should win this tourney. Like I stated above, they will win ONLY if they pick the best team unlike last years farce. Porter is a good kid, no doubt about it. He is not highly ranked as a prospect, but is a guts and grinder type of a player which is needed. I agree with the fact that you just cant throw out all-star teams, but most of the US's young guns are all around players who can mash it up. Pineault, LaValle, Stoa, Skille, Ryan, Gerbe, Fritsche, Wheeler, and Bourque is no slouch. Also with the punishing d-men in the johnsons, Sauer and Niskanen, who the hell needs more grinders? This team doesnt need a Weller, or even in my opinion a Porter although Porter does have more talent then Weller.

It does not matter if you did not get invited to the pre camp in August to make this team, USA has already said that. Stoa has 2 months to pick up his play and show why he was a first round pick. You can dog him all you want after 4 games, but this kid will impress soon enough. I would have him on my team over Porter anyday.

Brian Lee will have a long a prosperous career in the NHL in due time, I simply said that when he was out there last WJC, Hablover, and he was outhere, he looked lost. I dont know what tourney you watched, but Brian Lee didnt ride the pine, he didnt log Pronger like minutes, but he was out there. He will be a fantastic player, and Ottawa will find that out soon enough.

Joe Palmer is no Billy Sauer. I am sorry, its not even close. You cant even compare the two. I have seen them both play, Palmer is good, he will be a second round pick at the highest, while Sauer who from every publication and scouting board knows is the best goalie in the 06' draft. He wont make this team, but will be a force next year.

I am sorry Hablover that your canuck boys couldnt even hold a candle to Americas talent this year, but I wouldnt call what I wrote "good job trying to pump these guys up." I might be new here, but you sir are an idiot. This team is loaded with first round picks, future first round picks, and just future all-star players. I dont have to pump them up, obviously everyone around the NHL who has drafted them and is salivating over drafting them soon has done a good enough job for me. You better pray Brule, Barker, and the like get to play for your team, because I wouldn't want to play the US this year.

With three post you are certainly the expert. I do agree with some of your takes. However, you come off as a know-it-all and quite arrogant.

1. Stoa was a 2nd rounder not a 1st rounder. Although I hope Stoa turns out to be the player that you want him to be, at this point he's doesn't fit on this roster. Yes he is very talented but he's soft and has a rep for not showing up in big games. The US team needs gamers.

2. Is Pineault a "highly ranked" prospect?? because he was awful at last years WJC.

3. Sure the U.S. team would probably win without Porter. But saying that the U.S. team doesn't need him is like saying Canada didn't need Mike Richards last year. Sure Canada would have won without him but he brought a lot to that team.

I agree that the US has players that are both talented and can play physical. Skille and Fritsche are great examples. I think it's a pretty safe bet that Porter falls in that category too.

4. You are right, if the US picks the RIGHT team, they should win gold. To quote someone who knew something about USA Hockey, "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right players." I'm just thankful that you have no say in the selection process.

Last edited:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I don't disagree with much of what you're saying, but Pineault got injured at the 2005 WJC's, which had a significant adverse impact on his play.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
thomasincanada said:
Let's not go overboard here

It is all realitive. Crosby to the average joe American is just another Canadian who plays hockey. Kessel will be an American who plays hockey at the top level. Someone you can sell to the average joe from the US who doesn't follow hockey the way most everyone on this board does (half the kids that a talked about around here have yet to play a game in the NHL and therefore not house hold names).

I am not saying he will have a Jordan/James type of popularity, but if he can achieve an extremely high level of play - al la Ovich (some foreign player who most can not pronounce his name) and Crosby (and american knows that is the only sport Canadian's care about) - then he might be the person who can drive the average american to the sport.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Spectacular_Bid said:
1. Stoa was a 2nd rounder not a 1st rounder. Although I hope Stoa turns out to be the player that you want him to be, at this point he's doesn't fit on this roster. Yes he is very talented but he's soft and has a rep for not showing up in big games. The US team needs gamers.

Stoa is playing physical this year in the first 4 games. He is getting his chances and is hitting the oppostion. He was called for a major for checking from behind. It wasn't that bad the guy twisted at the last second and Stoa still layed into him good. He was going for the hit and it was too late to pull up. If he opened up the other way he would have flattened him. While Wheeler has more points Stoa looks like a solid power forward too. Granted it is only 4 games. But he is playing big. If he continues to pick it up, and his chemistry with Kessel going. He may get a long look. I honestly think that USA were scared Stoa might just show up and they would be forced to put him on the team if he had a good showing at camp. This way he has to really earn his spot with consistancy night in and night out. If he plays to his ability he is a top player for the US. If he had the work ethic he would have been a mid first rounder. Not an early 2nd.

But i do agree he is a LONG shot. He could score 6 goals or he could be that guy who everyone says " who is this flaking guy."

Last edited:

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
You won't be yucking it up come tournament time, I can assure you of that........

You can assure me of that huh.........well, we will see come tournament time won't we! Yeah, the USA looks good on paper, but remember the game isn't played on paper there Einstein! Canada will give them a good battle if they meet up, but don't forget about Russia because they will take Team USA of out the tournament! You heard it here first!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
HabLover said:
You can assure me of that huh.........well, we will see come tournament time won't we! Yeah, the USA looks good on paper, but remember the game isn't played on paper there Einstein! Canada will give them a good battle if they meet up, but don't forget about Russia because they will take Team USA of out the tournament! You heard it here first!

I like how you call someone "Einstein" for making a prediction, noting that the games aren't played on paper, but then go on to make your own prediction.... :shakehead

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
thats too funny Moby, Habs needs a clue!!!! anyways...

I do apologize for the Stoa first round thing, I meant to put why he was ranked to be a first rounder in every prospect guide, but dropped by the draft. He still is a great kid with talent, who still has a good shot at this team. This is the team that I would pick, I dont care what anyone else thinks, these are just my choices. Most of my picks will be there come the tourney, bank on it.

3 posts on this board does not make me an expert, but my 20 years in this sport and following it, has earned me the right to talk with you EXPERTS.

I would check out the Columbus prospect link Spectacular, and see where Pineault is on that list. He has size, speed, and can score, and he might not of had a great showing at the last WJC, but this isnt last year.

I do agree with Frenzy1 when it comes to Kessel. This sport has never had an American be its top player. Modano and Roenick in their prime were close, but not there. This kid can bring this league into a new direction where the American population starts to watch this sport. Crosby isn't going to do it because he is a Canadian, the Euro's dont do it because no kid can pronounce their name nor have a clue as to where their country is located at. Kessel has the chance to be the next great one in this sport, and I hope he gets every chance to do it.

This game is not played on paper, and Canada will have a great team I am sure, but this post is only about who makes this team. We can all fight over who will win in 2 months, I just want to see who gets picked before that happens. I dont see Canada missing too many of their prospects, Barker and Brule have been returned to their junior teams right? Or is Brule still up with the team?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jeremy Duchense of the Halifax Mooseheads has a dual citizenship and has said he would like to play for the U20 USA team.

I know there is a crowded crease but he is carrying a young rebuilding team and posting pretty good numbers.

2.18 gaa .922 save % with 4-5 rookie dmen every night.

What do you see his chances are of cracking the roster??

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
LaLaLaprise said:
Jeremy Duchense of the Halifax Mooseheads has a dual citizenship and has said he would like to play for the U20 USA team.

I know there is a crowded crease but he is carrying a young rebuilding team and posting pretty good numbers.

2.18 gaa .922 save % with 4-5 rookie dmen every night.

What do you see his chances are of cracking the roster??

I doubt it, although Phillipe Sauve was between the pipes for the U.S. a few years ago in the WJC's so anything is possible. I still think Schneider and Frazee will get the nod.

Last edited:

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
AmericanDream said:
I would check out the Columbus prospect link Spectacular, and see where Pineault is on that list. He has size, speed, and can score, and he might not of had a great showing at the last WJC, but this isnt last year.

I don't claim to be an expert and I respect differing points of view. I have nothing against Adam Pineault and I hope he becomes a dominant power forward. For the sake of US hockey, I hope all these players turn out like you think they will. If they do, I can see many gold medals for the US in the years to come. My point is just because some website, or some publication says a certain player is a "highly ranked prospect" doesn't mean that they will become NHL superstars. I don't think I need to list all the players who were "highly rated" prospect, players who were drafted high who never made it to the NHL let only became a NHL superstar. Yes, the US is loaded with talent that was taken in the first two rounds of the draft but that doesn't always equate to a winning team. There are plenty of players who were drafted in the 3rd-9th rounds that go on to excellent pro careers, not to mention all the undrafted players who excel in the NHL.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
AmericanDream said:
I watched Lee play the other day for North Dakota. He looked great. I'm starting to like that pick more and more every day.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I agree with you Spectacular, but why do we rank prospects then? Why are some drafted higher then others? There must be a reason for this? Why are there all these prospect boards, publications, and experts? Noone ever said just because they are a great prospect that automatically puts them in the NHL. A great prospect playing for his country at the age of 17-20 is a heck of a lot different then figuring out what prospect is going to pan out in the NHL. These kids that I listed are all great prospects, most of them will make it to the NHL in some capacity, I never claimed that status alone gets you to the bigs. But for some strange reason, we all rank these kids, scout these kids, and talk about these kids for no reason I guess.

Transported Upstater

AmericanDream said:
thats too funny Moby, Habs needs a clue!!!! anyways...

I do apologize for the Stoa first round thing, I meant to put why he was ranked to be a first rounder in every prospect guide, but dropped by the draft. He still is a great kid with talent, who still has a good shot at this team. This is the team that I would pick, I dont care what anyone else thinks, these are just my choices. Most of my picks will be there come the tourney, bank on it.

3 posts on this board does not make me an expert, but my 20 years in this sport and following it, has earned me the right to talk with you EXPERTS.

I do agree with Frenzy1 when it comes to Kessel. This sport has never had an American be its top player. Modano and Roenick in their prime were close, but not there. This kid can bring this league into a new direction where the American population starts to watch this sport. Crosby isn't going to do it because he is a Canadian, the Euro's dont do it because no kid can pronounce their name nor have a clue as to where their country is located at. Kessel has the chance to be the next great one in this sport, and I hope he gets every chance to do it.

This game is not played on paper, and Canada will have a great team I am sure, but this post is only about who makes this team. We can all fight over who will win in 2 months, I just want to see who gets picked before that happens. I dont see Canada missing too many of their prospects, Barker and Brule have been returned to their junior teams right? Or is Brule still up with the team?

We can all say Canada's team doesn't look as good at the '05 team. But the '05 team would mash this year's US team into a bloody pulp, so I think it's just a "normal" Canadian team as opposed to a team made largely of the (unreal) '03 draftees.

(Keep in mind that Canada did not have their two highest drafted '03 forwards in that tournament, either, just as they will not have their nation's best teenager for this year's tournament.)

But on paper, the American squad looks amazing. I'd love to see them win this year, because their last win was a 100% upset. It's different when you're one of the favorites.

But PLEASE don't confuse Kessell with Crosby...Kessell is a faster skater and is probably a better pure shooter. THAT'S IT.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
a bloddy pulp? I doubt that. Lets not get carried away here. Canada had a great team last year, but I would put this group of American boys up against that team anyday. USA might win or it might not, but it sure as heck wouldnt be a beatdown one way or the other.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
AmericanDream said:
a bloddy pulp? I doubt that. Lets not get carried away here. Canada had a great team last year, but I would put this group of American boys up against that team anyday. USA might win or it might not, but it sure as heck wouldnt be a beatdown one way or the other.

Homerism at it's finest.

Last years Canadian team was possibly the best junior team ever assembled - this years American team is the best going into this tournament, but not comparable to last years Canadian team and won't deserve to be even compared until they've gone through the tournament unchallenged.

Canada had guys that would have been playing in the NHL had there not been a lockout.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Homerism at it's finest.

Last years Canadian team was possibly the best junior team ever assembled - this years American team is the best going into this tournament, but not comparable to last years Canadian team and won't deserve to be even compared until they've gone through the tournament unchallenged.

And you call me homerism?? hahahahahahaha
how about another word that begins with h...hypocrit
get real bub

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
AmericanDream said:
And you call me homerism?? hahahahahahaha
how about another word that begins with h...hypocrit
get real bub

I don't see how you can call me a hypocrite for saying last year's Canadian Junior Team was possibly the best ever - many people said that - Americans/Canadians/Europeans. I haven't heard anyone other than yourself talk like that about this years American team, however.

Also - I don't think you understand the term homerism, but that's ok as it's not terribly important. I do think it's great you are here - if everyone were realistic about their countries players and teams - this board wouldn't be much fun.

I very much look forward to you rationalizing why the US Olympic team will be better then the Canadians next year. Should be fun :handclap:

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
AmericanDream said:

This year's American team will be in tough against this year's Canadian team (you vastly underestimate them) let alone last year's Canadian squad.

That team was in a class all by itself and could have easily put a beatdown on anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->