WJC: USA Goalies

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Why did USA not play Campbell in net agianst sweden and who will be playing in the Gold medal game?

Well you'd have to ask Dean Blais that. But from what I understand they wanted to alternate starts before the quarterfinals, and Lee has played well and is the veteran of the two so they've gone with him. He's not given up more than two goals in a game in the entire tournament, so they're probably comfortable with him.

That being said I like Campbell better, but I can understand why they would go with Lee and I expect him to get the start against Canada.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Well, obviously the alternating starts business is over with since Lee has played against Finland and Sweden. He's the guy and deservedly so. Campbell has gotten some nice experience and will be the go to guy the next two years.

drew1234

Feb 6, 2008
Toronto
Why did USA not play Campbell in net agianst sweden and who will be playing in the Gold medal game?

Dean Blais likes Lee and so far hes unbeaten.

Whats wrong with him so far?

Yes he does give up rebounds but hes a well positioned goalie. The rebound he gave up last night there should of been a US defensemen to clear the puck but he was out of position. Check out the reply (the US dman joins his partner at the hash marks). Its amazing how Lander and the other swedish forward are at the net beside Lee and yet the two american dmans are at the hash marks with 1 swedish forward who already took the shot.

Second goal could of been interference as the skate/player was beside lee in the net so it should of been disallowed since the puck was outside the crease. But ref missed the call.

Lee came up huge at the end and made big saves. You need the big saves and Lee gives you that. Campbell failed against Canada in the NYE match. Let the goals in. Cant blame him but as coaches say you need timely saves at the big moments. Lee has done that and has a perfect record for 4-0-0.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Dean Blais likes Lee and so far hes unbeaten.

Whats wrong with him so far?

Yes he does give up rebounds but hes a well positioned goalie. The rebound he gave up last night there should of been a US defensemen to clear the puck but he was out of position. Check out the reply (the US dman joins his partner at the hash marks). Its amazing how Lander and the other swedish forward are at the net beside Lee and yet the two american dmans are at the hash marks with 1 swedish forward who already took the shot.

Second goal could of been interference as the skate/player was beside lee in the net so it should of been disallowed since the puck was outside the crease. But ref missed the call.

Lee came up huge at the end and made big saves. You need the big saves and Lee gives you that. Campbell failed against Canada in the NYE match. Let the goals in. Cant blame him but as coaches say you need timely saves at the big moments. Lee has done that and has a perfect record for 4-0-0.

I've certainly been guilty of nitpicking Lee's game, but like you said so far he's unbeaten and he's certainly proved he's a legitimate #1 goaltender at this level. If you think about it, the only times Sweden beat him was when he made an initial save on a good shot, and the rebound went right back to a Swedish player while Lee was caught up in a scramble around the net.

His ability to snare deflections from 2-5 feet outside the crease is impressive, and he made two of those saves last night in the third to foil a Swedish comeback. He's yet to be beat in a one on one situation or let in a shot from the point. He's even stopped puck that have been deflected multiple times.

That being said, he's certainly never been tested like he will on Tuesday.

Tombernack

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Maybe the American coach thought Campbell got exposed by Canada? He let in 4 goals in regulation plus 3 more in the shootout for a total of 7 on the evening. Maybe he saw a weakness and was afraid the Swede's saw it too? Just speculating of course, I really have no idea.

Cashew

Mar 6, 2009
Storrs, CT
Campbell has seen Canada's game first hand in this tournament. Lee hasn't. Mike Lee will still start, but Jake Allen will have a slight advantage as he's played the American's in the tournament already.

Lee is better than Allen, though. It should be an amazing game. Unfortunately, I have practice tomorrow night so I'm going to miss it.

hockeyguy18*

I think both are really good goalies, however, I think Campbell will have the solid NHL career, while Lee most likely won't.

...just my two cents.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
no way they go with JC now, Lee has done just fine in leading us to our first gold medal game since 2004 I believe. Jack did excellent in the games he played, and will be the man the next 2 years like Al Montoya was, but for now, it is Mike Lee's show, like it or not.

CraigC

Feb 22, 2006
Burlington
Campbell has seen Canada's game first hand in this tournament. Lee hasn't. Mike Lee will still start, but Jake Allen will have a slight advantage as he's played the American's in the tournament already.

Lee is better than Allen, though. It should be an amazing game. Unfortunately, I have practice tomorrow night so I'm going to miss it.

I beg to differ.

Mach 9*

Maybe the American coach thought Campbell got exposed by Canada? He let in 4 goals in regulation plus 3 more in the shootout for a total of 7 on the evening. Maybe he saw a weakness and was afraid the Swede's saw it too? Just speculating of course, I really have no idea.

Did Canada start Jake Allen against Swiss?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad