USA goalies for W Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
hockey_in_hel* said:
Who will be the goalies for Team U.S.A in the World Cup?????I'm going to go with Robert Esche, John Grahame, and Ty Conklin!

The reason why I don't say Mike Dunham: He hasn't played very well this season, and has been awful in the World Championships this year! :shakehead

Dunham was inconsistent this year and has played great at the World Championships. I don't know what games you've been watching. As for who should be on the World Cup squad, I also agree with Mobey.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
hockey_in_hel* said:
Who will be the goalies for Team U.S.A in the World Cup?????I'm going to go with Robert Esche, John Grahame, and Ty Conklin!

The reason why I don't say Mike Dunham: He hasn't played very well this season, and has been awful in the World Championships this year! :shakehead

John Grahame's numbers this season were awesome and Tampa wouldn't have finished first in the East had he not stepped in and done such a good job while Khabibulin was struggling. That being said, he isn't playing right now. I assume Team USA management will put a premium on big game experience. That means playoff games (especially 3rd round and finals) and World Championship sudden-death games.

Using that formula you'd have to give the nod to Robert Esche and Mike Dunham right now. As for no.3, it's anyone's guess. Personally I like the idea of giving the no.3 job to a young up-and-coming goalie that can soak up the experience of just being around the best players in the world - a goalie touted as the eventual 'next one' to hopefully one day replace Mike Richter's heroics. Of all the young American goalies out there, I think DiPietro is the consensus 'next one'.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Douggy said:
Why not take Ryan Miller as the third guy?

Why? I'd rather have a young guy like DiPietro that's actually played well at the NHL level than a prospect like Miller. IMO he'll be a good one, but the U.S.'s depth isn't that dire that he's needed.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Mobey said:
If it were starting tomorrow:

Starter: Robert Esche
Backup: Rick DiPietro
Backup: Mike Dunham

I agree kind of. I think they will let Esche and DiPietro compete for the #1 job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->