USA Anthem Follies - Canadian Idol?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

During last night's pre-game ceremonies before the US 5-4 win in Quebec city, "singer" Carol Marcil (daughter of Hockey Quebec head Rene Marcil) forgot the words to the Star Spangled Banner (twice) and then after running off to get a cue card took a Chevy Chase style pratfall before leaving without completing the anthem.

Three lessons from this:

1. Singers should know the words to the song (or at least have a good lip-synch engineer - NOTE do not use someone from Ashlee Simpson's crew);

2. Nepotism does not pay; and

3. Anthem singers should NOT wear high heels on the ice.

Marty Brodeur's take on the whole proceedings????

"You've got to give her credit, she came back twice and fell once," he said with a laugh. "It's definitely a different way to start a hockey game than we're used to.

"There was a little bit of humour involved. It was just too bad for her. I was just thinking that I hope she's not on Canadian Idol."

For the story and a video clip see:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1114263677657_29/?hub=Canada

eaton28

Feb 5, 2005
not a big deal, she was probaly nerves how many americans know ALL the words to Oh Canada... not many

Feb 24, 2004
eaton28 said:
not a big deal, she was probaly nerves how many americans know ALL the words to Oh Canada... not many

Probably, but how many Americans' job is it to know the words to Oh canada?

Roger's Pancreas*

eaton28 said:

I do, and I don't know the words to the star spangled banner. It's only because of hockey that I know it though.

SenatorsFan

Nov 21, 2004
When I first saw the clip on TV last night, I laughed hysterically for about five minutes straight. When I saw it a second time on a different channel, I actually felt really bad for her. But now that I've seen it a third time I can honestly say thats one of the most messed up things I've ever seen.

I don't get it, did they just pick her at random right before the start of the game. The fact that she forgot the words TWICE!!!! is enough. The falling on her back part was just icing on the cake.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Paulina Gretzky was one American who knew all the words to "O Canada" last fall when she sang in Toronto and she managed not to fall down too. As compared to last night's performance, I would say Paulina did a lot better.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
I know the words to both the American and Canadian national anthems, and insist on singing O Canada every time it's played at a hockey game.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Just to correct things, René Marcil is not the president of Hockey Quebec. In fact, René will become Hockey Canada's president very soon, replacing Bob Nicholson.

But his daughter's performance at the Colisee was a classic. Great tv.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
They showed the segment of that fall on my local fox news...they didnt talk about the actual HOCKEY game at all or who Canada was even facing or the outcome...I hate US Media.

Victory Ali*

5-4 USA

In the Canada Vs. USA exhibition in case you were wondering.

I feel really bad for her... it was still funny but just damn... that must have really sucked.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
She was on Good Morning America and she sang the USA's anthem today. So saying that she don't know the words is not right. She was only nervous.

PredsFan77*

Is there anyway I can save this to my computer? This is priceless. Oh and btw I know the words to Oh Canada...I thank HNIC for it.

Nuclear

Jun 15, 2004
PA
It really was horrible, and I feel really bad for her. One of the players that knew the song should have skated over and helped her out IMO.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
FLYLine4LIFE said:
They showed the segment of that fall on my local fox news...they didnt talk about the actual HOCKEY game at all or who Canada was even facing or the outcome...I hate US Media.
Same here. Different channel (ABC) but same thing, they said she was singing the US anthem at a game in Canada between the 2 nations. Then showed the clip. Although, I think by the time the clip is over you kind of forget that it was at a hockey game only focusing on "forgot the words, twice, and fell on the ice."

At least she didn't hit her head on the open door or the boards.

I feel bad laughing because that was so horrible for her, but it's always funny when someone falls down.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I saw the clip too (on the CBC News feed on NWI down here in the States). I'm glad she was ok but I couldn't believe that she flubbed the words to the "Star Spangled Banner".

...and yes, I'm another American who knows all of the words to "O Canada".

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I can't believe that loser was invited to a TV show after embarassing herself like that.

There's nothing wrong with not knowing, forgetting or being too nervous to sing the words to an anthem.

What's wrong is to be selected to perform when you're obviously devoid of talent. What's wrong is to try to accomplish a job you're not cut to accomplish. What's wrong is that there are dozens of people who not only DREAM of performing a national anthem but actually work hard to be REAL pro singers.

Not only did that fat slob get the first gig because of her dad's connection, but now our modern culture which loves to celebrates mediocrity and instant stardom is rewarding that worthless clown further.

Unbelievable.

Maybe she's the next Star Wars kid. They'll make t-shirts and sing her praises like the little Pejorative Slur-geek in 2003.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Nice to see hockey get some big coverage all over the United States, it was even on PTI tonight. I wonder how many stations actually showed highlights of the game too.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
I can't believe that loser was invited to a TV show after embarassing herself like that.

There's nothing wrong with not knowing, forgetting or being too nervous to sing the words to an anthem.

What's wrong is to be selected to perform when you're obviously devoid of talent. What's wrong is to try to accomplish a job you're not cut to accomplish. What's wrong is that there are dozens of people who not only DREAM of performing a national anthem but actually work hard to be REAL pro singers.

Not only did that fat slob get the first gig because of her dad's connection, but now our modern culture which loves to celebrates mediocrity and instant stardom is rewarding that worthless clown further.

Unbelievable.

You're such a delightful person.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
FLYLine4LIFE said:
They showed the segment of that fall on my local fox news...they didn't talk about the actual HOCKEY game at all or who Canada was even facing or the outcome...I hate US Media.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Im watching tonights Fox's Local news and AGAIN..yes AGAIN they showed the segment with the lady falling and forgetting the words...they are really getting a kick out of this. I really wish I had a Canadian satellite, this is just sad. BTW..they ACTUALLY gave the final score of the game, 5-4....no highlights though of course...imagine that! :biglaugh:

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
Vlad The Impaler said:

Unbelievable.

Maybe she's the next Star Wars kid. They'll make t-shirts and sing her praises like the little Pejorative Slur-geek in 2003.
She sings since she's a little kid and she has a beautiful voice. If you don't know what you're talking about, shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->