U18: USA: 2019 WJC18

OKOptimistic

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Why do we have the play Finland in the quarterfinals men (sadface). Wtf men we are gonna get knocked out of quarterfinals men and the Finns are gonna laugh at us men :(.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Why do we have the play Finland in the quarterfinals men (sadface). Wtf men we are gonna get knocked out of quarterfinals men and the Finns are gonna laugh at us men :(.
Gonna be a fun match. Two great and even squads. Though I hope our D is gonna be at the same level as the exhibition game.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Don't worry USA has all tools to win the that first elimination game.
USA just need force our ( Finland) players taking idiotic penalties wrong time and score 2 or 3 goals in powerplay to make Finland's defense and goalie shaky to score couple goals more and after that play solid defense and keep our ( Finland) players out of scoring chances and that's it.

Also don't let one 12-0 crush vs lousy Switzerland fool you.
Our ( Finland) guys haven't showed nothing special in this U18 WJC tournament.
And being honest we ( Finland) haven't played so well as defending U18 world champion should play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Svedu

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Gonna be a fun match. Two great and even squads. Though I hope our D is gonna be at the same level as the exhibition game.

The exhibition game from Vierumäki before U18 WJC's doesn't mean jack-shit tomorrow.
And this is a fact.

If USA won't be 1st semifinal team tomorrow i'm more than surprised.
With that roster what USA has in these U18 WJC's they should win whole tournament undefeated.
PS don't let one 12-0 crush vs lousy Switzerland fool you.

Reactions: Rainmaker and Svedu

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
The exhibition game from Vierumäki before U18 WJC's doesn't mean jack-**** tomorrow.
And this is a fact.

If USA won't be 1st semifinal team tomorrow i'm more than surprised.
With that roster what USA has in these U18 WJC's they should win whole tournament undefeated.
PS don't let one 12-0 crush vs lousy Switzerland fool you.
Once this talented group starts playing like they can, they have a good chance at winning against the US. I guess we’ll see tomorrow

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
USA has a stacked team. I expect them to win 5-2. But if Finland plays like they did the first period against Canada, they can make it a tight game and maybe win. Either way, the winner of the game wins gold (against Canada).

Last edited:
Reactions: ChicagoBullsFan

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Brutal. Lol.
not sure how you can come in this thread and say these teams are even when one of them has 8 first round picks in this years draft and a possible 9th in Beecher...need to be on meth to call these rosters even on paper. Finland always finds a way to play above their talent and I admire that, and if they win it is because they played their balls off as David slain Goliath..

Reactions: ChiGuySez

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
not sure how you can come in this thread and say these teams are even when one of them has 8 first round picks in this years draft and a possible 9th in Beecher...need to be on meth to call these rosters even on paper. Finland always finds a way to play above their talent and I admire that, and if they win it is because they played their balls off as David slain Goliath..
Usa has better roster but Finland propably has second most talented team in this tournament so this is kind of final game to this tournament two best teams when playing to theyr skill/potential.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Once this talented group starts playing like they can, they have a good chance at winning against the US. I guess we’ll see tomorrow

Finland's goalies and defense hasn't been impressive.
That Taponen's shutout vs Switzerland came only because Switzerland was lousy as hell.
If you did watch Canada and Belarus games you probably saw how atrocious Taponen was in those games.

Also Piiroinen didn't impress either in Czech Republic game who ever of those two floater goalies will play vs USA it will mean that we can't give rebounds at all for USA's forwards.

Because if we give easy rebounds guys like Hughes, Caufield and Turcotte will score on those 150% likely.
Taponen and Piiroinen are goalies who probably won't get even drafted to NHL this summer
Meanwhile Spencer Knight is ranked to 1st round in this years NHL draft.

I don't know about you but to me there is huge gap between those goalies.
And if i have to choose between Knight and Taponen and Piiroinen i will take Knight 10 / 10.
because Knight is that good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Svedu

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Finland can be tough and are tough for sure. I just don't think they have the horses to keep pace with the USA for 60 minutes. Hope we see a good match though.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

Maybe 6 or 7 in the top 15.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Finland's goalies and defense hasn't been impressive.
That Taponen's shutout vs Switzerland came only because Switzerland was lousy as hell.
If you did watch Canada and Belarus games you probably saw how atrocious Taponen was in those games.

Also Piiroinen didn't impress either in Czech Republic game who ever of those two floater goalies will play vs USA it will mean that we can't give rebounds at all for USA's forwards.

Because if we give easy rebounds guys like Hughes, Caufield and Turcotte will score on those 150% likely.
Taponen and Piiroinen are goalies who probably won't get even drafted to NHL this summer
Meanwhile Spencer Knight is ranked to 1st round in this years NHL draft.

I don't know about you but to me there is huge gap between those goalies.
And if i have to choose between Knight and Taponen and Piiroinen i will take Knight 10 / 10.
because Knight is that good.
There is, but if you’ve watched hockey enough, you’d know that any goalie can get a shutout against a good offense with solid defense. One off night for Knight and one phenomenal night for the Finn and it will be game over.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
There is, but if you’ve watched hockey enough, you’d know that any goalie can get a shutout against a good offense with solid defense. One off night for Knight and one phenomenal night for the Finn and it will be game over.

I'm followed hockey over 20 years so i know damn well anything can happen.
But somehow i don't see major upsets happening today's games.

If / when miracle happen and USA lose today vs Finland of course i'm happy about it.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Canada and Russia will win, 100% sure about it. Sweden- Czechs, i would say 95 % in favor for Sweden. This Czech team worked hard against Finland but they do not have any special prospects this year. With all respect to Koffer, he is no Necas, Vrana or Pastrnak. USA-Finland 80-20 perhaps. USA should be considered as the major favorite.

FinnishSniper, exactly. The BullFan has some points. Finland needs a game from Taponen or Piiroinen that should be considered as unlikely. They have not impressed me, and in all honesty the Swiss team was the worst team i´ve seen in a decade from the alp country.
The thing that worries me is that these goalies can´t hold on any pucks and the rebounds frequently bumps straight out to the opponents.
Even without Kakko i would give Finland an additional 15% if they had promising goalies. Even though some defenders will have some problems with the skating against the americans fast hockey, like Tuomisto perhaps, i would still consider the goalies to be the biggest question mark.
Heinola looked decent against the Swiss in the offense but he needs to step up to his potential that you can see is there.
Kokkonen has been a straight let down in this tournament. I thought he would be a leader and really secure with the puck, nothing flashy but still stable. Unfortunately he has not.
Also, it will be interesting to see how Pärssinen and Intonen can perform defensively against great skating Americans.
I mean just think about it, they have Hughes and company. Probably the number one this year. We are missing Kakko and our biggest hope should be the consensus second pick NEXT year, Lundell.
Everything can happen when two talented rosters meat but still, it would be a major upset when considering that Lundell is our biggest threat and they have plenty of first rounders this year.

Reactions: illone84

SK94

Apr 11, 2016

I think Vlasic has played himself out but Brink or Beecher may sneak in. Seven first rounders for sure. Then Brink, Beecher and Vlasic maybe. In overall you can add Kaliyev. It is amazing how deep this age group is.

Lets go boys. It can't happen again.

Reactions: AmericanDream

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I was worried about this game and i think in first period our defense was pretty bad and Finns had many good chances. Knight was excellent. He was able to make those saves when needed and i think our defense stepped up in second and third period. Third and fourth line did what they needed to do. Was great in faceoffs and got some zone time when team need it from them. First line was really good. Caufield was maybe littlebit quiet today but Hughes led the way like he should. Second line need to be better in semifinal. Turcotte has been really quiet in last two games. Boldy was also pretty quiet today and Brink took couple stupid penalties. Overall it was good perfomance.

Caufield need three goals in two games and Hughes seven points if they want those records from Ovie and Kucherov.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Pretty easy win after a slow start. As others have said, tough QF matchup to draw even if Finland had a really awful preliminary round. Finland is obviously a great hockey country but even when they have a down team, they usually find a way not just to play Team USA well but also pull out wins.

Jack Hughes was dominant.

Trevor Zegras was excellent, his vision and slick puck skills on full display.

It's odd to see Caufield get that many chances and only pot one goal. You start to take it for granted that he can't bury everything.

Spencer Knight had a couple of really nice saves, but looked bored most of the game.

Defense wasn't overly challenged, but they played well. Henry Thrun was excellent.

Turcotte line wasn't good today. Turcotte and Boldy were quiet. Brink was the most dangerous but also took 3 penalties. They'll need to be better against Russia.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
absolutely dominant game from Hughes. I liked what I saw from Brink and Berniers out there as well. Defense was just workmen like and did their job, all you can ask when you have the horses upfront that we do. very happy with this performance and how the team played overall. potential trap game was solidly won - great game boys!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad