US Womens National Team Sues for Equal Pay:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I've heard this arguekent before ... if they bring in Equal amount of revenue then they're entitled to equal pay however, if not then they do not deserve to get equal pay. Pretty simple.

Reactions: koyvoo and Gecklund

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I've heard this arguekent before ... if they bring in Equal amount of revenue then they're entitled to equal pay however, if not then they do not deserve to get equal pay. Pretty simple.

That's how I have looked at it as well.

Its so easy to put it that way as a male but at the same time it's the harsh reality.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That's how I have looked at it as well.

Its so easy to put it that way as a male but at the same time it's the harsh reality.
How? I play on a Sunday league should I be expected to get equal pay as a professional?

Should scrubs like Henderson or ronaldo be paid as much as Messi?

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
LOL! In the modeling industry(for example),mens don t stand a chance against woman. should male models supposed to fight for equal pay now? This is ridiculuous! Business is business.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

I think it depends heavily on the year.

From an ESPN article on it
In 2016, five members of the U.S. women's national soccer team filed a similar complaint against the U.S. Soccer Federation with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. That filing noted that, despite the women's team generating nearly $20 million more revenue in 2015 than the U.S. men's team, the women are paid about a quarter of what the men earn.

Granted that year was when the women won the women’s World Cup, but the men obviously didn’t have a World Cup to bring in revenue.

The men and women also fill different rolls. Women’s team players are basically full time national team players whereas men are full time players for their club and only receive bonuses from the national team when they’re called up to it.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The question isn't really one of equal pay to me, it's whether they get a salary reflecting their contribution to the USSF.

There's no women's pro league that gives enough of a financial incentive for women to keep playing soccer into their 30s. The USSF however clearly is trying to do so..why? Obviously because they profit from the USWNT. So the question is whether the money they pay those women is fair or not in light of the revenue generated. I'll leave that to accountants and lawyers to figure out though.

Though I will say their case may have some merit given that the U.S. might be the one country in the world where women's soccer isn't some artifice kept alive by sports association functionaries as a socio-political project.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
People have to realize there's more to this than just equal pay. Insufficient facilities, substandard fields, substandard hotels, commercial flights instead of charter flights compared to the men, turf fields instead of grass. And then you get to the equal pay where if the men and the women play an equal amount of friendlies in a calender year, the men would receive more money if they lost all their friendlies vs the women if they won all their games. And this is something that has been going on for years. US soccer isn't going to suspend them in a World cup year either.

Reactions: valeriammm

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I was agreeing with you, the part where you say they don't deserve equal pay. My bad, should have bolded it

oh I knew you were agreeing with me but Im just question why is it a harsh reality. It's pretty logically to me.

People have to realize there's more to this than just equal pay. Insufficient facilities, substandard fields, substandard hotels, commercial flights instead of charter flights compared to the men, turf fields instead of grass. And then you get to the equal pay where if the men and the women play an equal amount of friendlies in a calender year, the men would receive more money if they lost all their friendlies vs the women if they won all their games. And this is something that has been going on for years. US soccer isn't going to suspend them in a World cup year either.

The results of friendlies matter not... who generates the most money, that's it that's all.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I always feel like women pushing equal pay in womens sports is a waste of time (as terrible as that sounds)

What I always change the narrative to is that we need to work on more equal opportunity more so than equal pay. If more women had the opportunity to play sports there would be more players leading to a bigger talent pool. Slowly this would build the quality of pay and maybe make things more entertaining for consumers.

Obviously it would not touch the guys sport ever. But this way it would be a slow increase of talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad