US soccer moving HQ to Atlanta area

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Should be in Columbus, OH but I digress

You know, combining this and my last post...

I worked college sports media relations and my coworker's college buddy was also a sports media relations guy, who got a gig with US Soccer and worked in that house. That guy came and helped us when we were hosting an NCAA tournament (really so he could attend, we gave him a cushy job where he got to watch and meet the famous coach of his favorite team).

So qualifying for the 2006 World Cup, USA vs Mexico at Columbus... he returned the favor and we got invited to "help" at the event.

Our "jobs" were to stand on the field and be photo marshals: make sure the photographers didn't walk behind the benches, and returned their photographer's vests after the game.

He's explaining this job to us when he pauses and says "Have you guys ever met Drew Carey?" Which was a really weird question I couldn't even comprehend before there was the weight of someone's arm on my left shoulder and a face appeared over my right shoulder and Drew Carey asked "How the (fudge) are ya?" He was really friendly and chatted for a bit. Despite how it sounds later, everything he said to me was good-natured, fun, kidding, joyous and not being a jerk...

Turns out, Drew got into soccer and when the US was playing a game in Cleveland, he called US Soccer asking for tickets after it was sold out. He was watching a random game while on the phone with them and said "what about those guys in the vests, what do they do? I can be one of them." US Soccer explained they were photographers and he said "Okay, I'll be a photographer." They said screw it, and let him do it. He got into it, and asked the real photogs what he should buy and bought elite gear. He was US Soccer's "second" photographer at matches he wanted to go to.

So two things happened pre-game, Drew Carey tried to walk behind the benches and I tried to stop him and he said "Just tell them I paid you off." So I shouted back "How about you actually pay me off?"

Then I'm chilling up against the wall at the corner flag while guys are warming up with like 6 minutes left on the clock and a ball comes bouncing my way. I stopped it and looked around and a US player (no clue who) is on the other side of the field, at midfield and he nods and puts his hand up like "Send it back." Now I'm TERRIBLE at soccer and wearing soft fabric sneakers and there's 20,000 people in the stadium. So I just get ready to embarrass myself and somehow one-bounce it onto his foot. Easily the best soccer moment of my "career."

US of course wins Dos a Cero to clinch their WC spot.

And collecting the vests, I tell Drew to put his vest on the pile as he's leaving, and he makes a joke about collecting them, and I tell him "But I'm starting a game-used collection, and I need a Drew Carey."

And he turns and says "That's the second time tonight you've been funnier than me, kid. Don't (fudging) do it again." And he takes off the vest, pulls out a sharpie and writes "I'm funnier than you. Drew Carey. 9-3-05 (2-0)" and tosses it on the pile.

So I have nothing but fondness for US Soccer in Columbus. I think it's a great home for US Soccer, since it was the first place where they actually had "home field" vs Mexico.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Training center, not HQ.

Business ops aren't leaving Chicago, they just took up a new space here.
The facility will serve as U.S. Soccer’s new HQ and what’s described as “a central hub for the entire soccer community, including coaches and referees, to access best-in-class training, technology, and infrastructure to promote successful and sustainable playing environments throughout the country,” per the federation.

I'm not much of a soccer fan, but this is a huge win for the city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad