US Pummels Swedes, Swiss Shock Finns at Four Nations

• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The shots on goal stats at the usahockey website don't seem to be correct. What were the shots on goal in the Sweden-USA game?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jack Johnson seems to have run amok. What I like about him is not only does he have excellent finesse tools, but he's a real banger and likes to hit.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Jack Johnson seems to have run amok. What I like about him is not only does he have excellent finesse tools, but he's a real banger and likes to hit.
I agree. His offensive skills are awesome, and his defense is really underated. This kid REALLY hits people. That's a complete package if there ever was one.

A Good Flying Bird*

cagney said:
The shots on goal stats at the usahockey website don't seem to be correct. What were the shots on goal in the Sweden-USA game?

Don't have the totals with me.
But if I recall, Sweden was ahead 12-7 after one (thanks to five or six US minor penalties).
The US badly outshot the Swedes in the 2nd (12 to 4, or something) and then outshot them by a solid margin again in the third.

But in terms of quality scoring chances, it wasn't close. Sweden seemed like they had to work real hard just to get any kind of shot on net.
The speedy US wingers had great success streaking down the wings and cutting to the middle for dangerous scoring chances.

A Good Flying Bird*

Rabid Ranger said:

No kidding.
He goes way out of his way to lay on the hits. He has been borderline out of control so far.

His skating, puckhandling and passing are very good. Haven't seen much of his shot yet.
Defensively, he's not all tha sharp position wise. And those big hits often leave him out of position, or worse, in the penalty box.
But he's been tremendous. Probably the best player of the tourney so far, with Jack Skille and Justin Mercier right behind him

A Good Flying Bird*

flyers guy said:
Does anybody here think Johnson has any chance of overtaking Brule for the 2nd spot in the draft?

Don't know much or anything about Brule, but Johnson can skate, move the puck, shoot, and he loves to hit ... I can't ever remember seeing a defenseman so eager to hit (Though it will be interesting to see if he's as eager against Canadians)
He's already got good size and he'll only get bigger and stronger ...
He's going to need time to learn the position, but when he's got every tool and skill you'd want in a defenseman.
That's pretty darn rare

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Newsguyone said:
Don't know much or anything about Brule, but Johnson can skate, move the puck, shoot, and he loves to hit ... I can't ever remember seeing a defenseman so eager to hit (Though it will be interesting to see if he's as eager against Canadians)
He's going to need time to learn the position, but when he's got every tool and skill you'd want in a defenseman.
That's pretty darn rare

Do you think he needs to be reeled in just a lil? Its awesome that a guy loves to hit so much, but he could be overzealous and one day have the wrong the things happen to him. He could become injury prone as a result of his reckless style.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
Balej's Dance said:
Do you think he needs to be reeled in just a lil? Its awesome that a guy loves to hit so much, but he could be overzealous and one day have the wrong the things happen to him. He could become injury prone as a result of his reckless style.

I think he'll learn much of that when he start at Michigan next fall. Red has a tendancy to make sure defensemen know how to play defense first. U-M's last offensive-defenseman who they decided to turn loose his freshman season was Danny Richmond, and we all saw how that experiment turned out. Plus with the whole strict rules enforcement in college, it sounds like the refs might get whistle-happy with him, so he'll probably have to adjust his style some, or pick his spots when to hit.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
Newsguyone said:
That's pretty darn rare
I'm Canadian and have seen this kid play a LOT and trust me, he'll hit everyone. I want to share a fact-last year in the Under 17 Tourney in Newfoundland, he knocked Brule right out cold! Brule was helped up and off after the hit. This kid plays like a linebacker on ice-besides incredible offensive skills. The Red Wings GM said he's a combination of Konstantinov and Lidstrom. That was said Tuesday night to me directly!

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
SpaceGhost79 said:
I think he'll learn much of that when he start at Michigan next fall. Red has a tendancy to make sure defensemen know how to play defense first. U-M's last offensive-defenseman who they decided to turn loose his freshman season was Danny Richmond, and we all saw how that experiment turned out. Plus with the whole strict rules enforcement in college, it sounds like the refs might get whistle-happy with him, so he'll probably have to adjust his style some, or pick his spots when to hit.
Johnson will be fine, he's more like Jillson than Richmond. Richmond couldn't play D at all. Johnson is used on the PK right now besides PP. Red has a real star and will make him better! I sure hope the Habs get him. What a pair, Johnson and Komasarik!!!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
flyers guy said:
Does anybody here think Johnson has any chance of overtaking Brule for the 2nd spot in the draft?

It depends on the needs of the team picking at number 2, really. If it's a team like Columbus, then I think it's entirely possible. They've got scorers in Nash and Zherdev, but with the clock ticking on Klesla, Johnson could provide them with the number 1 d-man they lack at the moment. Ditto a team like Carolina.

Funkymoses

Hab Fan said:
Johnson will be fine, he's more like Jillson than Richmond. Richmond couldn't play D at all. Johnson is used on the PK right now besides PP. Red has a real star and will make him better! I sure hope the Habs get him. What a pair, Johnson and Komasarik!!!

Neither could Jillson, IMO. He was a great, great physical, skilled player at UM with a box of rocks for a brain. Good for one or two excruciating moments a game. Still well worth the occasional pain. Richmond, on the other hand... oy.

Excited to see Johnson, Cogliano, and hopefully Kessel in Maize and Blue next year. Sounds like Bailey is really coming into his own too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad