US Preliminary Roster Announced

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Where is Tim Thomas? :dunno:

I thought he would be a lock for the starting job.

Did he choose not to go or was he simply not selected?

lametis

Nov 15, 2003
NY
I'm pretty sure Tim Thomas was invited, but he sounded like he was going to refuse the last time I heard.

I hope Kesler shows some of the offensive ability that he didn't show in Vancouver this season very often, hopefully playing for his old coach again will pull it out of him.

Anyone know the USA roster for their game against Belarus today?

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Noodles said:
I'm pretty sure Tim Thomas was invited, but he sounded like he was going to refuse the last time I heard.

I hope Kesler shows some of the offensive ability that he didn't show in Vancouver this season very often, hopefully playing for his old coach again will pull it out of him.

Anyone know the USA roster for their game against Belarus today?

I have not seen a roster (except for the 15), but I thought the game was against Slovenia (Kopitar and company).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
sk84fun_dc said:
I have not seen a roster (except for the 15), but I thought the game was against Slovenia (Kopitar and company).

It is. It looks like there are eight roster spots available (x1 goalie, x4 defensemen, and x3 forwards). Here's my best guess as to who will be added:

Goalie: Cory Schneider
Defensemen: Ryan Suter, Tom Gilbert, Tim Gleason, and Keith Ballard
Forwards: Phil Kessel, Jed Ortmeyer, and Yan Stastny

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Rabid Ranger said:
It is. It looks like there are eight roster spots available (x1 goalie, x4 defensemen, and x3 forwards). Here's my best guess as to who will be added:

Kessel? That would be awesome. Russia will have their super kids, Canada will bring Crosby to the show and Sweden will have Bäckström playing. Lets hope for it anyway.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
johnny_rudeboy said:
Kessel? That would be awesome. Russia will have their super kids, Canada will bring Crosby to the show and Sweden will have Bäckström playing. Lets hope for it anyway.

It would be pretty interesting to see Kessel against what amounts to his peers in another high profile international competition.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:

Based on the expanded roster submission and the eliminations to date, I would agree with most of those. Schneider seems like a definite given he is the only other goalie on the list. On D, I could see Meyer ahead of Gilbert if Philly gets eliminated (esp with Holmgren involved). The forwards seem a little more iffy to me depending on what happens tonight (Matt Cullen, Higgins, etc.). I commented on Stastny last week and think he is a given if he says yes. Regarding other AHL guys on the list, Westrum is still playing, but Stempniak, Fritsche and Pohl are available now.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
sk84fun_dc said:
Based on the expanded roster submission and the eliminations to date, I would agree with most of those. Schneider seems like a definite given he is the only other goalie on the list. On D, I could see Meyer ahead of Gilbert if Philly gets eliminated (esp with Holmgren involved). The forwards seem a little more iffy to me depending on what happens tonight (Matt Cullen, Higgins, etc.). I commented on Stastny last week and think he is a given if he says yes. Regarding other AHL guys on the list, Westrum is still playing, but Stempniak, Fritsche and Pohl are available now.

Good points. I agree on Meyer and if Higgins is available he is a virtual lock. I'm kind of surprised a player like Ballard or Gleason hasn't already been officially added yet, unless they're not 100% on board yet. A player like Fritsche is also a strong possibilty. He too was coached by Mike Eaves.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Rabid Ranger said:

Here's to hoping that you are wrong about your goalie guess, but your other guesses would be just fine.

BTW, Esche could be available after tonight's game, but something tells me that he wouldn't accept the invitation after being the 3rd stringer in the Olympics.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
pelts35.com said:
Here's to hoping that you are wrong about your goalie guess, but your other guesses would be just fine.

BTW, Esche could be available after tonight's game, but something tells me that he wouldn't accept the invitation after being the 3rd stringer in the Olympics.

I don't think Esche would go either, although with the Holmgren connection you never know. He is playing very well right now and would make the goaltending picture for the U.S. a lot brighter.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Reaper45 said:
Gleason still has a bum knee, he played most of the 2nd half with it, I doubt he goes.

I was wondering about that, but thought perhaps he was ok since he was on the prelim list.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
sk84fun_dc said:
I was wondering about that, but thought perhaps he was ok since he was on the prelim list.

That could be what the U.S. brass is waiting on-to see if he's physically able to go. An interesting omission (yet again) is Paul Mara. Whose cornflakes at USA Hockey did he piss in?

lametis

Nov 15, 2003
NY
Here's the scoresheet from the game today. It's all I could get from here.

USA 6 SLOVENIA 0
0:1 PP1 Malone (Gilbert, 33)
0:2 EQ Stafford (Cullen, 34)
0:3 PP1 Cullen (Hilbert, Alberts, 38)
0:4 EQ Kessel (Corvo, 43)
0:5 EQ Malone (Brown, Corvo, 44)
0:6 EQ Brown (53)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Noodles said:

USA 6 SLOVENIA 0

Thanks for the link. It looks like Kessel and Gillbert are on the roster (at least for the time being). The joys of Joe Corvo and Phil Kessel on the ice at the same time! :yo:

* As an aside, is there a cooler crest than what's on the Slovenian jersey?

Last edited:

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Noodles said:

USA 6 SLOVENIA 0

Based on the article, it appears that both Bacashihua and Anderson played in this game.

Just out of curiosity, did they bring extra players or did they only have the 15 that were announced last week (2 goalies, 5 d, 8 f)?

I know that they are waiting to see what happens in the NHL playoffs, but I find it a bit odd that they don't have a full roster in Latvia 3 days before their first game.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Here's some (loosely translated) comments from Mike Eaves after today's game:

Mike Eaves , selector The United States of America :: " sober-minded are yourself till then without stage-fright dnevi , wherefore yet nismo bili uigrani. Without delay are prophet , yes indeed public I am standing upon I your reprezentanco , which yourself there is transplantable withal upon theatre. Running there is bila a long while , a good while counterbalance , when are winnable uppermost woodless , then yourself us there is shipping. Upon SP yourself I am wishing wage upon I medal , yet that bo this widely with difficulty "

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
pelts35.com said:
Just out of curiosity, did they bring extra players or did they only have the 15 that were announced last week (2 goalies, 5 d, 8 f)?
If I'm not mistaken, the article says the Americans had 18 players. Probably the original 15 + the 3 college players.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
pelts35.com said:
Based on the article, it appears that both Bacashihua and Anderson played in this game.

I know that they are waiting to see what happens in the NHL playoffs, but I find it a bit odd that they don't have a full roster in Latvia 3 days before their first game.

Noodles - Thanks for the link.

From reading the boxscore information, they took more than the 15 already named (e.g., Kessel and Gilbert). Sounds to me like they took some of the younger guys on the longer prelim list for the exhibition games and will finalize the roster based on the exhibition game performances and which playoff or guys coming off of injuries become/became available. No surprise in an exhibition game that the two goalies split the duties. Also, this is a good experience for the young guys, regardless of making the WC roster.

Rabid Ranger - I meant to ask about Mara the other day; seems he was invited and said no or has done something to get on the outs with USA Hockey or is hurt. Anybody know?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
sk84fun_dc said:
Noodles - Thanks for the link.

From reading the boxscore information, they took more than the 15 already named (e.g., Kessel and Gilbert). Sounds to me like they took some of the younger guys on the longer prelim list for the exhibition games and will finalize the roster based on the exhibition game performances and which playoff or guys coming off of injuries become/became available. No surprise in an exhibition game that the two goalies split the duties. Also, this is a good experience for the young guys, regardless of making the WC roster.

Rabid Ranger - I meant to ask about Mara the other day; seems he was invited and said no or has done something to get on the outs with USA Hockey or is hurt. Anybody know?

Mara has been unavailable/not asked to be on a U.S. national team since he was on the WJC team several years back. I'm not sure if it's something he's said/done or if he's just not a favorite of the U.S. brass.

Last edited:

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
Here's some (loosely translated) comments from Mike Eaves after today's game:

Mike Eaves , selector The United States of America :: " sober-minded are yourself till then without stage-fright dnevi , wherefore yet nismo bili uigrani. Without delay are prophet , yes indeed public I am standing upon I your reprezentanco , which yourself there is transplantable withal upon theatre. Running there is bila a long while , a good while counterbalance , when are winnable uppermost woodless , then yourself us there is shipping. Upon SP yourself I am wishing wage upon I medal , yet that bo this widely with difficulty "
Mike Eaves always had a knack for summing it up. "Yourself there is transplantable withal upon theatre," is practically Shakespearean, in tone, and in import. :D

(Aren't online translators fun? :) )

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Mara has been unavailable/not asked to be on a U.S. national team since he was on the WJC team several years back. I'm not sure if it's something he's said/done or if she's just not a favorite of the U.S. brass.

Thanks I know the history of Mara not being on the teams, I was just wondering if someone knew the inside scoop :)

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
petrklima85 said:
I was kind of hoping that the Americans would add Legwand and Suter once the Preds were eliminated.

Suter is on the prelim list; as Rabid noted in an earlier post, I think he will get an invite

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad