8 Mark Cullen
9 Andy Hilbert
17 Ryan Kesler
12 Ryan Malone
18 Richard Park
11 Marty Reasoner
16 Jim Slater
19 Drew Stafford

I can live with that. I really like what I saw out of Bacashihua at the end of the season and the forward group has a nice mix of youth, speed, and skill.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Rabid Ranger said:
I can live with that. I really like what I saw out of Bacashihua at the end of the season and the forward group has a nice mix of youth, speed, and skill.

There is certainly youth on the roster. This group is going to need to overachieve if they are to have any success in Latvia.

Given that the tournament is next week, I would assume that the rest of the roster will be announced by the weekend?

Regarding the goalies, I would think that Anderson will carry the load in net. Personally, I've never been impressed with Bacashihua. He's been a decent AHL goalie at best and got his chance to play for the Blues by default rather than by earning a spot. That said, he did play well for a horrible Blues team when given the chance.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
pelts35.com said:
There is certainly youth on the roster. This group is going to need to overachieve if they are to have any success in Latvia.

Given that the tournament is next week, I would assume that the rest of the roster will be announced by the weekend?

The U.S. brass is probably waiting for the first round of the NHL playoffs to conclude before naming additional players. If NHLers don't answer the call, the rest of the roster will probably be made up of European based players. As for the roster, I would say it doesn't look outstanding on paper, but many of those players have bright futures and with the right bit of luck could do well as a group. A good sign is most of the teams in the tourney will be similarly weakened.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Rabid Ranger said:
The U.S. brass is probably waiting for the first round of the NHL playoffs to conclude before naming additional players. If NHLers don't answer the call, the rest of the roster will probably be made up of European based players. As for the roster, I would say it doesn't look outstanding on paper, but many of those players have bright futures and with the right bit of luck could do well as a group. A good sign is most of the teams in the tourney will be similarly weakened.

With the exception of a team or two that might get swept, there won't be a big crop of players to choose from. They obviously can choose from a relatively large sized list of AHL'ers as well.

Even though I know he won't see much/any action, I would obviously like to see Pelletier get the 3rd goalie spot. He did represent the US in the World Juniors back in the 90's.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I agree they are waiting to see what happens with the first round series in the NHL and AHL; I know some guys decline, some are hurt and some are not invited, but always interesting to see the guys from non-playoff teams that aren't on the list; definitely a young group in this prelim 15; will be interesting to see what happens this weekend with the first exhibition game on May 2nd

As a Caps fan, I was wondering whether Halpern would get an invite and accept if he did, since he played his best hockey of the season after the Olympic break and was relatively healthy at the end of the season; he will a UFA this summer.

Here's the link to the USA Hockey announcement with some stats, etc., and the schedule.

http://www.usahockey.com/usa_hockey/ntdp/main/home/news_mwcrost_042706/

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
sk84fun_dc said:
I agree they are waiting to see what happens with the first round series in the NHL and AHL; I know some guys decline, some are hurt and some are not invited, but always interesting to see the guys from non-playoff teams that aren't on the list; definitely a young group in this prelim 15; will be interesting to see what happens this weekend with the first exhibition game on May 2nd

As a Caps fan, I was wondering whether Halpern would get an invite and accept if he did, since he played his best hockey of the season after the Olympic break and was relatively healthy at the end of the season; he will a UFA this summer.

Here's the link to the USA Hockey announcement with some stats, etc., and the schedule.

http://www.usahockey.com/usa_hockey/ntdp/main/home/news_mwcrost_042706/

I would have thought Halpern (and Clymer and Clark) would have been shoo-ins on the team, but it would appear they all declined. Halpern as an UFA could be thinking about his contract next year and doesn't want to risk injury.

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I would have thought Halpern (and Clymer and Clark) would have been shoo-ins on the team, but it would they all declined. Halpern as an UFA could be thinking about his contract next year and doesn't want to risk injury.

I thought about Clark, too, especially with the season he had; Clymer seemed like an outside possibility, but not such a surprise to me to not see him listed; I asked the Caps staff writer yesterday and he said he had not talked to any of them about the World Championships and whether or not they were invited; if he finds something out, he may let me know, but he did speculate that Halpern's UFA status may be/might be a factor.

Non-Caps, if Providence bows out (down 3-1), I think Stastny will be invited.

Last edited:

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
I actually like this roster, although the goaltending doesn't impress me. Though the Canadian combo of Marc Denis and Alex Auld doesn't jump out at me either. Remember, the 2004 edition of Team USA didn't look impressive on paper, but they won the bronze medal. A medal is definitely a possibility.

I am a bit surprised at Halpern's absence from the roster, given his willingness to suit up for USA in the past. I agree this must have something to do with his UFA status.

I was hoping a lot of the young kids would be named to the team and I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform. Keep on eye on Andrew Alberts. He's still developing but he's solid in his own end, pitches in offensively, and is a hard hitter.

lucscaps

Jun 20, 2005
guelph, ont
Does U.S hockey know somehting we don't?

why are GOMEZ, MARTIN, and PARISE on that list, I'm pretty sure jersey is doing just fine in the playoffs.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
lucscaps said:
Does U.S hockey know somehting we don't?

why are GOMEZ, MARTIN, and PARISE on that list, I'm pretty sure jersey is doing just fine in the playoffs.

The list is provisional in nature, meaning that while all of the players are eligible to play in this year's World Championship, several would only be available if their teams are eliminated from playoff contention.

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Here's the complete U.S. entry list: http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/Tournamen...ta/iihf/output/xml/46/IHM0460USA_32E_1_0.html

It would be interesting if Kessel actually plays.

Thanks for finding that list; I had not checked the IIHF site for a prelim list. Interesting that Halpern is listed; perhaps he is considering an invite and looking into insurance issues related to his UFA status or perhaps they are waiting to see who else is available after the first round of the playoffs.

Regarding active teams (AHL and NHL), they have some Devils, Preds, Canes, Providence Bruins, Rangers, Flyers, and Ottawa players listed, but I thought it was interesting/strange they did not list any of the Sabres players on the list. Not looking like they would be available, but still a little odd, IMO, given all the NJ players listed.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
If a player is not on that list, does that mean he is not eligible to play in the World Championships?

Assuming that is the case, then the 3rd goalie would be Corey Schneider from Boston College.

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
pelts35.com said:
If a player is not on that list, does that mean he is not eligible to play in the World Championships?

Assuming that is the case, then the 3rd goalie would be Corey Schneider from Boston College.

This is the language at the bottom of the list: "Note: Prior to the initial directorate meeting, which occurs before the team's participation in the competition, there may be a large number of players included in this output. Following that meeting the team's roster will be reduced to no more than the maximum number of players allowed."

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Walzy said:
Modano would be available :sarcasm:

Haha, yeah, he might get an invitation

As of today, the Rangers, Dallas, and TB are all on the verge of elimination, but none of them offer much in terms of American starpower.

Mike Modano
Bill Guerin

John Grahame

Tom Poti
Jed Ortmeyer

With the exception of Ortmeyer, I doubt GM Paul Holmgren will even ask any of these guys to play.

petrklima85

Apr 13, 2006
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
I would love to see Kessel play.....with some mock drafts having him fall as low as 7th overall it may be what he needs to boost his standing. Provided he does well. It may be a big risk though, if he's even average it may weaken his chances to go in the top 5.

Kesler a dynamic player, looking forward to seeing him.

Hilbert really played well at the end of the season in Pitt. Did he play alot with El Sid ? Is that why he had good #'s ?

I'm jacked that Cash was asked to be a goalie.

I wonder if Lebda is offered a chance to go to the Worlds if DRW are eliminted this week. Never mind, he'll go to Grand Rapids to help the Griffs in Rd 2.

raskolnikov

Sep 13, 2005
LI
pelts35.com said:
He is having surgery I believe on his knee. If you noticed, he didn't play in the last handful of games for the Isles either.

i havent heard anything about his knee..he didnt play the last few games because the coach wanted him to get 30 wins (he did) and wanted snow to get another win since he hadnt won since november. snow failed to do so but they kept giving him chances

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad