US college kids can now get paid

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
* In California, where there are no varsity hockey programs.

** In a few years.

*** Assuming that the NCAA doesn't find a way to kill this.

Still a whole lot of asterisks before this becomes a reality, especially in college hockey.

Reactions: dm8895 and JMCx4

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I've always had doubts about the US system where an NCAA B-Ball player cannot get a free pizza for an autograph, yet the NCAA and the school will make millions off the kid. And at the same time schools are giving away cars and houses to the parents of star players in order to recruit them. I don't know how the USHL works, but I would guess there is no "allowance" paid to the players?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I don't know how the USHL works, but I would guess there is no "allowance" paid to the players?
The USHL professes to support Goal #7 of USA Hockey's manifesto for junior hockey leagues: "Protection of Amateur Status. To protect, most importantly, the amateur status of all participants under the rules and guidelines established by the International Ice Hockey Federation, USA Hockey, Hockey Canada, the NCAA, the NAIA, and the National Federation of High Schools." Under this condition, USHL players do not receive living expense stipends. However, they do receive free "tuition" (coaching & training) and free equipment and free housing & meals thru a billeting system and free transportation. I will profess minimal knowledge of how this all compares to U.S. college players' treatment.

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
The USHL professes to support Goal #7 of USA Hockey's manifesto for junior hockey leagues: "Protection of Amateur Status. To protect, most importantly, the amateur status of all participants under the rules and guidelines established by the International Ice Hockey Federation, USA Hockey, Hockey Canada, the NCAA, the NAIA, and the National Federation of High Schools." Under this condition, USHL players do not receive living expense stipends. However, they do receive free "tuition" (coaching & training) and free equipment and free housing & meals thru a billeting system and free transportation. I will profess minimal knowledge of how this all compares to U.S. college players' treatment.
To me, it sounds like if you get something for free from the NCAA school, it is ok. If you get something free elsewhere, you are doomed. It's as hypocritical as having a CIS kid lose eligibility just because he played hockey in a CDN University.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00