Signing(s): Urban Meyer is the Jaguars new HC

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
de2.gif

Lets just hope his "heart issues" or his "need to spend more time with his family" do not rear their ugly heads again, Jags fans.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Yeah, at least in the NFL there is sortof an offseason. No recruiting or spring practices etc.

I still think he will be horrible in the NFL, so full agreement here.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
An all-time great college coach but doesn't have any experience in the NFL and Ray Farmer's (believe to be in the running for GM) draft history with the Browns outside of Bitonio was horrific (even if you give him a pass on Manziel and blame Haslem for it.

Who's the last really successful coach to make the switch? Pete Carroll who had a ton of NFL experience. Rhule is interesting and had very little NFL experience (just one season as an assistant O-line coach at the NFL level).

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
An all-time great college coach but doesn't have any experience in the NFL and Ray Farmer's (believe to be in the running for GM) draft history with the Browns outside of Bitonio was horrific (even if you give him a pass on Manziel and blame Haslem for it.

Who's the last really successful coach to make the switch? Pete Carroll who had a ton of NFL experience. Rhule is interesting and had very little NFL experience (just one season as an assistant O-line coach at the NFL level).

Jimmy Johnson & Barry Switzer

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Jimmy Johnson & Barry Switzer
Johnson is obviously the exception. Switzer just inherited a team Johnson built. No coach here is walking into a team that just won the Superbowl the previous 2 years.

Maybe Meyer can be this generation's Johnson, but I have a hard time seeing it. I'm very curious to see what Meyer's staff will look like. It sounds like he is going to heavily rely on college guys. If I were a Jags fan, I would hope he brings in someone with NFL head coaching experience as co-ordinator or a position coach/assistant head coach. NFL is just a different grind.

Reactions: Voight

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Out of the 3 examples given, Johnson really is the only one I'd consider a college coach with NFL success. USC definitely resulted in Carroll getting another chance, but Carroll had nearly 2 decades of NFL coaching experiences before he went there. Switzer inherited Johnson's team, won a Super Bowl, and them became quickly despised and never coached again.

The fact that Jimmy Johnson is the one guy to "build" winners in both levels is pretty damning considering he last coached a college game in the 80s and a NFL game in the 90s.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
USC definitely resulted in Carroll getting another chance, but Carroll had nearly 2 decades of NFL coaching experiences before he went there.

Jets defensive coordinator for 4 years even before he became their HC in 94

defensive coordinator for two years with San Francisco

and of course 3 years as Pats HC between The Two Bills

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I can't imagine that your coach and QB adapting to the NFL at the same time is exactly the right move to be going with. Especially since there are a handful of talented offensive coordinators on the market right now that could great options for developing Lawrence.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
This will either be a complete success (with Jags winning at least one Super Bowl) or utter catastrophe. No middle ground.

I assume Urban will be hiring director of player personnel/GM to work under him.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Texas boosters gotta be big mad
Only have themselves to blame. Expectations have already made Urban basically quit two other blue blood programs, and those programs arguably aren't as insane as Texas boosters.

I personally think he will do fine. Jaguars won't have much expectations for the first couple of years at least, and the NFL is so much more different now than when Spurrier, Saban, Petrino, etc failed because depending on the teams there aren't a whole lot of differences offensively between many college and NFL teams anymore.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Only have themselves to blame. Expectations have already made Urban basically quit two other blue blood programs, and those programs arguably aren't as insane as Texas boosters.

I personally think he will do fine. Jaguars won't have much expectations for the first couple of years at least, and the NFL is so much more different now than when Spurrier, Saban, Petrino, etc failed because depending on the teams there aren't a whole lot of differences offensively between many college and NFL teams anymore.
Unless they do make the Lawrence for Watson trade. But an in division trade of QBs? Man, like NE and Buffalo back in the day for a first round pick.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Don’t agree about the first couple of years. Urban is there to program-build. Something we’re seeing a lot more of. But everyone’s expectations bring what they are, he ain’t showing up to go 5-11.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad