Friedman: Uptick on Edler calls

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
They can't is more like it. He won't go.

Pretty sure Edler said if the team didn't view him in their future plans, he may/would be willing to accept a trade. Wouldn't matter if he had a NTC or not, Benning doesn't want to move one of his best defenseman because he knows he isn't capable of bringing in his own defensemen.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Pretty sure Edler said if the team didn't view him in their future plans, he may/would be willing to accept a trade. Wouldn't matter if he had a NTC or not, Benning doesn't want to move one of his best defenseman because he knows he isn't capable of bringing in his own defensemen.
Stetcher isn't doing too badly right now and Hughes looks like a future stud ;) Hutton is looking pretty good, and though Gillis drafted him, Benning signed him.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Stetcher isn't doing too badly right now and Hughes looks like a future stud ;) Hutton is looking pretty good, and though Gillis drafted him, Benning signed him.
Amazing what players can do given the opportunity... Edler has to go... trade when he has value...

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

So two defensemen in almost 5 years? Not one defensemen has come from pro-scouting, despite the many trade efforts. Hutton does not count because Benning signed him, what the hell - I hope that was a joke.

This team will (and is) suffering without Edler, Benning knows it too. Have to hang onto that last bit of the aging core for as long as possible until he figures out what a good defensemen looks like at the pro level.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Amazing what players can do given the opportunity... Edler has to go... trade when he has value...
I agree to trade Edler(if he will waive) but I would like him back in a lesser role for 1-2 years in the off season. Push Pooliot out and he can take a smaller role, but be there to step in with Hughes is struggling. I would love to see our left side be Hutton, Hughes, Edler.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For Edler if he needs to leave he’ll do so in the summer. He probably doesn’t view playing on a playoff team as a necessity. He’s not one who views his career incomplete without a cup. He’s content to leave his next contract based on his Canucks performance. Doesn’t feel the need to leave his family for 10-12 weeks.

If he goes he’ll do so in the summer when he picks his spot. I’d be surprised if he was willing to waive it.

Plus, Benning is likely under the gun next season to make the playoffs or be fired. It will be year 6 under his watch next season. It would be the 5th straight without playoffs if they miss. Green will also be under the gun. Year 3 for him of his 4 year deal. Typically you have to extend or fire the coach before the final year. Benning will also be down to his final year at the end of next season as well. That’s probably another key point in him not wanting to move out his productive D. Yet he can’t any better upgrades than the likes of MDZ, Gudbranson, Pouliot, etc.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
For Edler if he needs to leave he’ll do so in the summer. He probably doesn’t view playing on a playoff team as a necessity. He’s not one who views his career incomplete without a cup. He’s content to leave his next contract based on his Canucks performance. Doesn’t feel the need to leave his family for 10-12 weeks.

If he goes he’ll do so in the summer when he picks his spot. I’d be surprised if he was willing to waive it.

Plus, Benning is likely under the gun next season to make the playoffs or be fired. It will be year 6 under his watch next season. It would be the 5th straight without playoffs if they miss. Green will also be under the gun. Year 3 for him of his 4 year deal. Typically you have to extend or fire the coach before the final year. Benning will also be down to his final year at the end of next season as well. That’s probably another key point in him not wanting to move out his productive D. Yet he can’t any better upgrades than the likes of MDZ, Gudbranson, Pouliot, etc.

Yeah Edler doesn't seem like he needs a Cup to complete his life or anything. He's too comfortable and moving doesn't seem like his thing.

Agreed on everything else, and it's the reasoning why I think Edler won't even be asked for his list anyways. Benning NEEDS to compete and needs to make the playoffs.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
So two defensemen in almost 5 years? Not one defensemen has come from pro-scouting, despite the many trade efforts. Hutton does not count because Benning signed him, what the hell - I hope that was a joke.

This team will (and is) suffering without Edler, Benning knows it too. Have to hang onto that last bit of the aging core for as long as possible until he figures out what a good defensemen looks like at the pro level.
Of course Hutton counts. Benning's amateur scouts could have easily told him he was worthless and let him walk. Benning has had no reason to replace Edler and Tanev thus far. So out of the 6 spots, Benning had 2 filled, has filled the other 2, and failed to find a good bottom pairing. Lots of teams have terrible bottom pairings. Benning is not the best of GM's by any means, but no GM replaces 2 good D-men unless he is spending a ton of futures to do so. OJ was definitely the wrong choice over Serg and McAvoy, but he still has top 4 potential at least. Woo is trending well. Revamping a Defense without breaking the bank takes more than 5 years, unless you draft studs like Doughty, Hedman, etc.

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
No it doesn't.

Injury prone, slowing d-man aren't worth a 1st!

I agree with that, however, Edler isn't slowing. This was arguably his best season statistically and defensively. He's been a beast, eating up tons of minutes, providing timely offense and doing it on the defensive side - in all situations.

The conversation definitely starts with a 1st or the Canucks don't trade him.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I agree to trade Edler(if he will waive) but I would like him back in a lesser role for 1-2 years in the off season. Push Pooliot out and he can take a smaller role, but be there to step in with Hughes is struggling. I would love to see our left side be Hutton, Hughes, Edler.

Why are we trying to push our best defenseman, who is having an outstanding year despite a few unusual injuries, into a lesser role again....?

Reactions: vanarchy

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
And nobody would really care. It's not like you have some high impact player that teams are going to fight over. He's a cheap rental depth piece for a contender. You should be doing back flips if you get a free second.
LOL

If Edler waives, I can guarantee that there is going to be a bidding war amongst interested teams and I can confidently say there will be many.

Edler's value likely returns a 1st. Teams will likely drive that price up.

Edler on TB, Nash, Wpg, Pitts, Boston, makes them that much stronger on the back end. Imagine having a 3/4/5 defenseman that can eat up 30 min a night. In TB he would be a 3/4 guy. Hedman out for 28-30 minutes, then Edler out for 28-30 minutes. You could have a situation where you're bottom pairing doesn't play more than 7-8 minutes.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Of course Hutton counts. Benning's amateur scouts could have easily told him he was worthless and let him walk. Benning has had no reason to replace Edler and Tanev thus far. So out of the 6 spots, Benning had 2 filled, has filled the other 2, and failed to find a good bottom pairing. Lots of teams have terrible bottom pairings. Benning is not the best of GM's by any means, but no GM replaces 2 good D-men unless he is spending a ton of futures to do so. OJ was definitely the wrong choice over Serg and McAvoy, but he still has top 4 potential at least. Woo is trending well. Revamping a Defense without breaking the bank takes more than 5 years, unless you draft studs like Doughty, Hedman, etc.

No, Benning does not get credit for signing a player that was a two-time Hobey Baker nominee. :laugh: Edler is going to be 33 years old and is injury prone. He has missed 37/19/8/30/14/12/22 (so far this year) games since 2012-13 season. He's not a reliable piece to rely on to stay healthy for the future, especially considering his age. Benning has every reason to bring in defensemen to replace Edler/Tanev because they aren't reliably healthy enough. Canucks need to cash in on his value now while it's probably as high as it will get moving forward.

I don't need the whole spiel about players in the system "looking good" - our fanbase has been through this tire-pumping of prospects just last year with Lind/Gadjovich, while promptly watching them fall flat on their faces in pro hockey (that wasn't predictable at all...).

You're right, revamping the defense doesn't work overnight, which is why we need to trade Edler now.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It would be a huge d bag move if they moved Edler when he didn’t want to.

I get asset management and all, but this is pretty ridiculous if they move him when he didn’t want to.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I get asset management and all, but this is pretty ridiculous if they move him when he didn’t want to.
If they can’t come to terms on an extension? They owe it to themselves to ask. He has final say if he wishes to go.

Canucks can give him more yearly money but can’t go greater than 2 years on the term. Have to protect themselves as there’s only 8 Dmen older than Keith who is 35 that are still playing. A 2 year deal takes Edler to age 35.

If for example Edler was looking for $4.5 per for 3 years which is $13.5 million total. I’d counternwith 2 years for $11 million or $11.5 million If he’s still good enough at 35 to warrant another contract then I’d sign him at that point.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
If they can’t come to terms on an extension? They owe it to themselves to ask. He has final say if he wishes to go.

Canucks can give him more yearly money but can’t go greater than 2 years on the term. Have to protect themselves as there’s only 8 Dmen older than Keith who is 35 that are still playing. A 2 year deal takes Edler to age 35.

If for example Edler was looking for $4.5 per for 3 years which is $13.5 million total. I’d counternwith 2 years for $11 million or $11.5 million If he’s still good enough at 35 to warrant another contract then I’d sign him at that point.
He’s already making $5.5 a year and just had a pretty solid season. He’s not taking a pay cut.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Eazzzy... this is Vancouver where we burn our city loot buildings and flip cop cars when we dont get what we want.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He’s already making $5.5 a year and just had a pretty solid season. He’s not taking a pay cut.
It’s actually $5 million against the cap over his 6 years.

And I said if for example. Those are just random numbers taking into account his age. Point is that if you can pay him around $2 million less in total over 2 year compared to a 3 year deal a, that’s how I would negotiate with Edler. Wear and tear with his injuries over the years I’m not comfortable going to 3 years. They already still have beagle and Eriksson for $9 million total when Pettersson begins contract 2.

They can absorb the higher cap hit while Pettersson is on elc.

dman34

May 6, 2011
Typical HFB overvaluing 1st round picks. If Edler gets traded, it will be to a contender for a late 1st or high end prospect. Just how many late 1st's turn into bonafide NHL players? Based on what Edler brings, a 1st is far from overpayment. The bidding starts there.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Well he has had a pretty good season, and he's now been resting for what like a month or something?
So he's ready to go and a great addition to any playoff team. If he wants to win a cup this is his shot.
I for one hope he leaves to spend the spring with a great team looking to win it all (and pay handsomely)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->