Upper Deck named exclusive card licensee NHL/NHLPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
How is this even legal? Wouldnt this give Upper Deck a monopoly?

Upper Deck is a major reason why I got out of sports card collecting. Nice to see that nothing has changed. :shakehead

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Resolute said:

Upper Deck is a major reason why I got out of sports card collecting. Nice to see that nothing has changed. :shakehead

It's legal. NHL gave permission to UD to do that this year. But I can't believe it's continuing into the future...

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
i used to love UD
remember there early 90s draft and rookie cards
but then UD decided to make cards ridiclously expesnive so i said **** em

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Resolute said:

yeah, it's total crap.

the Madden franchise recently did this with NFL video game rights as well.

I have no idea why the NHL and PA would do this though. You'd think more money could be made with lots of different companies making them...

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Sports cards are a joke now with all the special edition decks and the numerous inserts that make the actual deck worthless. Now if it isn't a rookie card or an insert it might as well be a stick of gum, at least there is some pleasure in getting one of those.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think it is a bad move for a league that badly needs to encourage young people to follow the sport. Upper Deck undoubtedly paid a crapload of money, but it is shortsighted. More card companies = more promotion of the league.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Sure there is.

Upper Deck only produces what? 250 different sets every year?

Double that to 500, and the only thing that changes is every card has the same logo. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad