Value of: Upgrade to Dallas D

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Was curious if the below package could yield some manner of upgrade to the Dallas d-corps:

Valeri Nichushkin
1 or 2 defenseman (not Klingberg)

It may feel a bit of quantity-for-quality, but likely more of a deal from a position of strength to fill a weakness. I'm not expecting a huge deal by any means; even a small upgrade is still an upgrade. So fire away, I guess...

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I don't think there's an upgrade available that isn't going to be costly both now (assets traded) and later (expansion draft). Also Lindell/Honka/etc are never going to get NHL experience while roster spots are filled with short-term "upgrades" that may not be worth the spot anyway.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I think the best move is to let the kids play this season and if it's that bad by the deadline, look for an upgrade then, in the hopes that the price won't be as high due to the expansion. If nothing else, wait until that's over in the offseason and see what is available.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Alex Edler for Nichuskin and Oleksiak

Even though we don't have the cap to do that move, there's no way the rest of your fan base except that. If Nuke was further along or close to his potential then maybe we could make a deal with Nuke

Canucks owners are set on making the playoffs, so they won't be moving Edler

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Alex Edler for Nichuskin and Oleksiak

My experience is that Vancouver fans are firmly set against this.

Assets we spend now on an upgrade will cost us in expansion while also keeping us from getting a good look at Lindell, Johns, and possibly Honka. Not really a priority.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If that deal were accepted I'd laugh. Worst case scenario you put Oleksiak on waivers to send to the AHL and he gets taken and you got a 3rd for Hunwick.

They got 2 2nds for Polak and Spaling. Oleksiak could be had for free potentially on waivers. A 3rd from a contender isn't all the much for a cheap, vet on the bottom pairing.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
For MTL, something around Beaulieu + Ghetto for Nuke + Oleksiak is probably fair value imo.

I really don't know how our (MTL) defence pairings will look next year. I assume it will be Beau + Weber on the top pairing so we would need to figure who replaces Beaulieu.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Girardi and a 3rd for Nishuskin and Honka

I was going to say you must have forgot a player, but there isn't a single Ranger player that makes up the value difference here. Maybe the worst thing I've seen in 2016.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Are you looking for RHD or LHD? Kevin Klein could be a potential fit, he could slot into any pairing and play well.

Not sure what the Rangers would want in return

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Are you looking for RHD or LHD? Kevin Klein could be a potential fit, he could slot into any pairing and play well.

Not sure what the Rangers would want in return

If Dallas trades for an upgrade it would be for a LD. Seeing ad we have a top pairing RHD already, a young guy who looked very capable of top 4 RD last year in Johns and Honka coming up.

I think our RD is set for a while, our left D however is currently banking almost completely on Lindell panning out

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Well if Edler for Nichushkin and Oleksiak is bad, how is Edler for Nichushkin and Johns/Honka?

As a Canucks fan I'm 100% down to move on from Edler. We won't be competing for a cup soon enough for him to be useful to us. Trade him before his value is 0.

When Jim Benning lets him walk as a UFA you'll be wishing we'd gotten Nichushkin for him

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Well if Edler for Nichushkin and Oleksiak is bad, how is Edler for Nichushkin and Johns/Honka?

As a Canucks fan I'm 100% down to move on from Edler. We won't be competing for a cup soon enough for him to be useful to us. Trade him before his value is 0.

When Jim Benning lets him walk as a UFA you'll be wishing we'd gotten Nichushkin for him
I would be willing to add some sort of mid pick or a prospect of some sort to Edler to get Nuke and Honka in a deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad