Injury Report: Updates In 1st Post - Full Attendance at Practice (4.13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Well, IF that's true, then I'll bet Malkin is pretty damn sore there but COULD play if he absolutely had to do it. BUT, they know, better to let him rest and be 100% for the playoffs that they're 95%+ to make than it is to risk exacerbating the injury for a couple of points.

I mean, IF Malkin is healthy for the playoffs and you get Rust-Geno-Phil and a healthy Letang too, then anything is possible. IF Malkin literally limps into the playoffs or worse still exacerbates an injury, then the Pens are pretty much ******.

EDIT: That said, it is entirely possible that JR is talking out of his ass.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well, IF that's true, then I'll bet Malkin is pretty damn sore there but COULD play if he absolutely had to do it. BUT, they know, better to let him rest and be 100% for the playoffs that they're 95%+ to make than it is to risk exacerbating the injury for a couple of points.

I mean, IF Malkin is healthy for the playoffs and you get Rust-Geno-Phil and a healthy Letang too, then anything is possible. IF Malkin literally limps into the playoffs or worse still exacerbates an injury, then the Pens are pretty much ******.

EDIT: That said, it is entirely possible that JR is talking out of his ass.

I’d say the plan is probably to keep him out the remainder of the RS but I could see a scenario where we’re losing a lot and he returns earlier...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I’d say the plan is probably to keep him out the remainder of the RS but I could see a scenario where we’re losing a lot and he returns earlier...

Well, these next 5 of 6 brutal games take place over the next two weeks. IF the worst happened, then you've got Detroit twice and NY Rangers to close it out.

You're probably right about the plan, but I think unless it's complete desperation time, they're going to err on the side of caution.

What happened in 2015 really was a game changer in that regard, where Malkin hurt his ankle (against St Louis in a Saturday afternoon game, if memory serves) and kept coming back early because the Pens were sort of desperate for 'just to be safe' points. He did very little if anything and kept exacerbating the injury, so by the time the Pens backed into the playoffs and a first round matchup, Malkin could barely skate.

No way I see them repeating that mistake and rushing him back, only to have him exacerbate the bruise (?) and have to deal with the pain/breathing issues as the playoffs start.

Nah, they'll make sure he's 100% for the playoffs unless there's absolutely no choice.

I suspect it's POSSIBLE that it's a similar situation with Letang (and why it's taking longer than anticipated to see him back on the ice).

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Well, these next 5 of 6 brutal games take place over the next two weeks. IF the worst happened, then you've got Detroit twice and NY Rangers to close it out.

You're probably right about the plan, but I think unless it's complete desperation time, they're going to err on the side of caution.

What happened in 2015 really was a game changer in that regard, where Malkin hurt his ankle (against St Louis in a Saturday afternoon game, if memory serves) and kept coming back early because the Pens were sort of desperate for 'just to be safe' points. He did very little if anything and kept exacerbating the injury, so by the time the Pens backed into the playoffs and a first round matchup, Malkin could barely skate.

No way I see them repeating that mistake and rushing him back, only to have him exacerbate the bruise (?) and have to deal with the pain/breathing issues as the playoffs start.

Nah, they'll make sure he's 100% for the playoffs unless there's absolutely no choice.

I suspect it's POSSIBLE that it's a similar situation with Letang (and why it's taking longer than anticipated to see him back on the ice).

No more Saturday afternoon games against the Blues for Geno.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
A week or two sounds better than week to week because the latter always gives me the impression of it being closer to a month.

I just hope Geno doesn't rush it back. The only thing almost as bad as Geno being out of the lineup with an injury is Geno playing while still being hampered by said injury.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
A week or two sounds better than week to week because the latter always gives me the impression of it being closer to a month.

I just hope Geno doesn't rush it back. The only thing almost as bad as Geno being out of the lineup with an injury is Geno playing while still being hampered by said injury.

I assume you mean because of the longer term implications and not that you wouldn't want an injured Geno in game 7 of the SCF if that was your only option, yes?

Reactions: Shady Machine

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I assume you mean because of the longer term implications and not that you wouldn't want an injured Geno in game 7 of the SCF if that was your only option, yes?

Well, yeah. Obviously if it was a game for all the marbles, you take the chance with Geno at 50% over the alternative. But my concern is over a larger sample size, Geno coming back early and maybe not healing properly that affects the next 5 games, instead of maybe sitting out another 3 of those games so he'll be back 100% by the 4th game.

Reactions: KIRK

treeni12

Oct 30, 2018
wow huge news if only 1-2 weeks is true. Not sure I believe it because when Sullivan uses week-to-week he usually means it. I don't care about seed just get Malkin and Letang 100% and they can beat anybody

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I would honestly just see if he can play the last 2 games if he's healthy by then, limited - VERY LIMITED ice time, like only powerplay time.

Otherwise, just sit him out.

Reactions: Andy99

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Yeah, no need to rush him back. We only need to grab about 7-8 more points to have a very good chance of making the playoffs. That means we could even go 4-5 in our last 9 and probably make it and that's assuming none of those 5 losses were OT losses too.

We're pretty much a lock barring an epic losing streak.

Look at it this way. Montreal has 4 games this week. We have 3. Let's say we have a disastrous week and go 0-3 and get no points to boot. That puts us at 76 games played with 88 points. Montreal would have to win all 4 games to pass us which would put them at 89 points with a game in hand on us. If Montreal went 3 wins and one OT loss they'd tie us, and have a game in hand.

So basically things look super dire for Montreal in terms of catching us if we win even one game this week or get even a point out of any of these games.

That said our schedule is very tough. Carolina, Nashville, Dallas, all on the road. So 0-3 is not out of the realm of possibility I suppose. But Montreal plays Philly (road), Isles (home), Buffalo (home), and Carolina (road). That's three very tough games with two of them coming on the road. I'd be pretty shocked to see Montreal go 4-0 this week.

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
This team needs to finish top 3 in Metro. Wild card vs Tampa or likely Caps with a rusty Malkin and possibly rusty Maatta and/or Letang is not a goo situation to be in. Big game tonight, to say the least.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Letang in the ice with regular jersey

Not getting my hopes up but great news

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Adrenaline and cortisol masks the pain. Overnight you'll get bruising/swelling and it'll start to hurt. I assume we've all F'd ourselves up doing something but continued doing it and didn't realize it was serious until the next day.
Usually Malkin is the one distributing the injuries. Surprised that he got hit that hard are you sure it is ribs

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Someone (on another forum) pointed out that the last two times the Pens won the cup they lost Geno week-to-week at the end of the season. So maybe that's a silver lining.
I don't remember 2017, but I remember we lost him for about the last 15 games or so of 2016. That was the reason for the formation of the HBK line.

Would be nice to see Kessel click with someone else while Geno is down again. Gives us 3 solid lines if/when Geno does come back.

Reactions: BHD

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Big game tonight. I want the Pens to finish top 3 in Metro to play the Flounders. Islanders are a well coached solid team but lack the offense to hang with the Pens. If the Pens are healthy and ramp it up for the playoffs, can't see the Pens losing to them. Plus the caps play a Columbus or Carolina team that will be a tough out. In fact Tampa is not a automatic here with either of those teams. Get Olli, Reese, Malkin back and I like the Pens chances.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad