Injury Report: Updates In 1st Post | Letang Out vs CBJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Agree with potentially losing a lot of ground
But disagree that they need a depth guy on the right side. Can't Rikko and Olek play both?

Believe they'll roll without Schultz for those 4 months unless another long term injury occurs. I think someone suggested Mike Green, that's a good replacement if the cost to acquire is right
It's about balance. I think the looks on defense, moving from forehand to backhand on the right side is fine when you have 2 right hand defensemen but you need that depth. Remember when Letang was hurt? Schultz played a ton and Ruhwedel got more games in because the team needed another right handed defenseman, we had plenty of guys that were LD/RD then as well.

It's more to do with puck management from the RD side, we'll need another option if Ruhwedel isn't suitable. As it stands though, I think our depth is fine. We'll likely see this...

Dumoulin, Letang
Johnson, Riikola - Both can play LD/RD.
Maatta, Ruhwedel/Oleksiak

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
It's about balance. I think the looks on defense, moving from forehand to backhand on the right side is fine when you have 2 right hand defensemen but you need that depth. Remember when Letang was hurt? Schultz played a ton and Ruhwedel got more games in because the team needed another right handed defenseman, we had plenty of guys that were LD/RD then as well.

It's more to do with puck management from the RD side, we'll need another option if Ruhwedel isn't suitable. As it stands though, I think our depth is fine. We'll likely see this...

Dumoulin, Letang
Johnson, Riikola - Both can play LD/RD.
Maatta, Ruhwedel/Oleksiak

I think it boils down to the last spot battling between Olek and Ruh. And Ruh probably won't be given much of a shot since I believe he's fallen so out of favor due to last years' performance.
Which is sad because the previous year he was doing pretty well (considering his paygrade/responsibilities) before he got a concussion from the Sens player in the playoffs.

Basically it's Olek's to lose because now Maata's spot is firmly cemented (for better or worse).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It also likely determines what happens with Schultz in the offseason (he's a FA)

If the Pens do fine without him, well he's probably good as gone as he'll likely command a nice payday on the open market.
If they flounder, that increases his value to us = more $$ to keep him

Schultz is under contract for 2 seasons. This year (18/19) and next season (19/20). I don't think this really does anything for us in July 2020.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Schultz is under contract for 2 seasons. This year (18/19) and next season (19/20). I don't think this really does anything for us in July 2020.

Wow...for some reason I thought he was a FA after this season. I need to stop sniffing so much glue

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Someone with a cap brain explain to me why #4 is on IR and not LTIR please.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...-in-first-post.2543247/page-18#post-150783579

In short, unless we're right at the cap (ideally $1.00 under it), it doesn't make sense to put Schultz (or anyone really) onto LTIR until we absolutely need to. IR gives us another roster spot. LTIR gives us a roster spot + additional cap space.

If we have 1m in cap space (@78.5m) and put Schultz onto LTIR, we only get to spend to 84m. If we get to $79,499,999 and then put Schultz onto LTIR, we would get to spend to 84,499,999. And then as I mentioned in the post above (see link), if he's on LTIR, we don't get to bank or grow our cap space as the season goes on.

We'll see what happens... but I would suspect that we'll see Johnson or ZAR called up just prior to Schultz going onto LTIR as either of those two would maximize our LTIR space. Or depending on exactly how much we have, perhaps 2 players with 650k cap hits. But the longer we wait and hold out with the current roster, the better off we are cap wise.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I like how they always specify it was "successful" surgery, like there was a danger it would be botched and he'd lose the entire leg.

They botched Olli Maatta’s shoulder surgery. He had to miss more time because of it.

Reactions: EightyOne

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Man, the way Schultz' leg turned, he probably had serious spiral fractures in both bones. That surgery would have been insane and he's going to be carrying a lot of metal around. At least he didn't tear his knee apart like I figured he must have.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I've never had that kind of broken bone before. Like, I can't even imagine the pain. Dumb question, but is it constantly there? Like, do they have to sedate him as soon as they get him to the dressing room to relieve the pain, or does it kind of go into a numbing thing after the initial shock of it?

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...-in-first-post.2543247/page-18#post-150783579

In short, unless we're right at the cap (ideally $1.00 under it), it doesn't make sense to put Schultz (or anyone really) onto LTIR until we absolutely need to. IR gives us another roster spot. LTIR gives us a roster spot + additional cap space.

If we have 1m in cap space (@78.5m) and put Schultz onto LTIR, we only get to spend to 84m. If we get to $79,499,999 and then put Schultz onto LTIR, we would get to spend to 84,499,999. And then as I mentioned in the post above (see link), if he's on LTIR, we don't get to bank or grow our cap space as the season goes on.

We'll see what happens... but I would suspect that we'll see Johnson or ZAR called up just prior to Schultz going onto LTIR as either of those two would maximize our LTIR space. Or depending on exactly how much we have, perhaps 2 players with 650k cap hits. But the longer we wait and hold out with the current roster, the better off we are cap wise.
Not sure what that link is for, I didn't see a post from you or anything about LTIR. And thanks for the explanation but it did mostly go over my head :laugh:

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I've never had that kind of broken bone before. Like, I can't even imagine the pain. Dumb question, but is it constantly there? Like, do they have to sedate him as soon as they get him to the dressing room to relieve the pain, or does it kind of go into a numbing thing after the initial shock of it?
This was my initial thought, he didn't look in pain in the ice. If that was me I would have screamed the f***ing building down.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
This was my initial thought, he didn't look in pain in the ice. If that was me I would have screamed the ****ing building down.

Shock, adrenaline. It definitely would have hurt like bloody hell once the adrenaline wore off. The way he instantly didn't want to move his leg an inch...scary stuff. That must have felt so uncomfortable.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Not sure what that link is for, I didn't see a post from you or anything about LTIR. And thanks for the explanation but it did mostly go over my head :laugh:

Click the link and read that post that it links to... Although if the short version is over your head, the longer one probably won't be much better. :D :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Shock, adrenaline. It definitely would have hurt like bloody hell once the adrenaline wore off. The way he instantly didn't want to move his leg an inch...scary stuff. That must have felt so uncomfortable.

This.

I broke my collar bone years ago in a soccer game, and felt fine... a little pain, but nothing major. Gave it some ice (5-10 mins?) and even tried to finish the game. I lasted maybe 3 minutes - aka the first time the other team put the ball down my side of the field, and I realized I couldn't play, kicked it out of bounds, and walked off. Only to witness my mother tearing a strip off the coach for putting me back out there. When I asked her why she was so mad, she said that even though she said it was up to him if I could go back out there, she didn't think he'd be stupid enough to actually put me back out there (we'd had multiple injuries over the course of the tourny to the point that we had no more subs - if I wasn't playing, we were playing short).

Don't move it, and it's not too bad. At least that's how it was for me. If I didn't touch it, and wasn't moving my around around (or had any weight on my shoulder - aka a sling), then it was fine. Initially (after the shock and
adrenaline) wore off, it was just a throb. But then the collar bone is just a little bone... I'm not sure if that's the same for a larger bone - but I imagine it's fairly similar. But I also imagine that the doc's gave him something fairly quickly once they got him in the room.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013

I never broke a big or major bone so idk how THAT would feel.

The initial break and ankle turn probably hurt like hell. Then shock and adrenaline kick in, and the pain is there but it's almost like your mind disconnects from it. Unless someone touches it, or you move it.

I know thats what it was like when I broke my foot taking a puck off it in highschool.

The initial break when the puck hit stung real bad. But then shock, adrenaline, and numbing I guess kicked in and I didnt feel too bad, almost thought I could keep playing.

Until i went to the locker room with the trainer and it was time to take the skate off and I was mfing the sky and sea.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I've broken bones before, it definitely numbs after a while due to adrenaline but then that first night the bone "wakes up" and it becomes more painful. Still usually tolerable though. It's not like you're screaming in pain but you'll definitely lose sleep over it. Think like a really dull, throbbing ache. Thankfully my worst breaks were in my arm and wrist so keeping it elevated was easy to do and relieved a lot of the pain by having less blood flowing to it.

Back pain by comparison can be a lot worse, in my experience. Although I'm sure Schultz's break was much worse than mine so it's hard to say what his experience was.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008

call it shock or adrenaline or whatever but in certain situation I believe your brain just goes, "you know what? you can't handle this kind of pain so I'm just going to block it out until later."
the most horrific injuries I've had in my life in no particular order:
#1 taking a slapshot to the ear. basically ripped my ear in half. didn't really feel any pain until the ER doc started handling it right before stitching it up. the next day the pain was probably 9 on a scale of 1 to 10.
#2 a car accident in my 20's. my knee was punctured by the extra key hanging down from the ignition switch (when cars still had different keys for the ignition and trunk). I didn't even realized it happened until the paramedics showed up. hurt like hell later though.

Reactions: USMC607

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
call it shock or adrenaline or whatever but in certain situation I believe your brain just goes, "you know what? you can't handle this kind of pain so I'm just going to block it out until later."
the most horrific injuries I've had in my life in no particular order:
#1 taking a slapshot to the ear. basically ripped my ear in half. didn't really feel any pain until the ER doc started handling it right before stitching it up. the next day the pain was probably 9 on a scale of 1 to 10.
#2 a car accident in my 20's. my knee was punctured by the extra key hanging down from the ignition switch (when cars still had different keys for the ignition and trunk). I didn't even realized it happened until the paramedics showed up. hurt like hell later though.

Blah.

I recently tore my ACL at a soccer game, felt immediate pain, but then that subsided. And then I managed to hobble around to join people for some beers. But then the shock started to go away and the pain came back while I was out with friends. For once, beer didn't make me feel better. :laugh: I was in a lot of pain that night and the next two days.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012

I broke my ankle sorta like that. It feels like your foot is burning away. However you go into shock so for the first hour or so it's not horrendous ...

However after that....

They may give him advil or something but they wont sedate him till surgery. Set it. Boot it and wait for surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad