Injury Report: Updates In 1st Post | Letang Out vs CBJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Rust was in a bad position and McQuaid moved toward him and finished his check. My complaint is when a player is on the boards, the opposing player has to play the puck as the primary responsibility. I think the hit on Ruhwedel was also the same kind of play. Foligno made mo attempt to play the puck and IMHO should have been charged with boarding. Two injuries could have been avoided with calling those kind of situations that way.

I don't think either play was dirty or unwarranted. I'd have to watch again, but the main point of a check is to separate a player from the puck.. not necessarily making a "play on the puck."

If either of the 2 were iffy it would be the McQuaid hit, but I don't think there was any malice intent behind it.

Reactions: Multigrain

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Rust was in a bad position and McQuaid moved toward him and finished his check. My complaint is when a player is on the boards, the opposing player has to play the puck as the primary responsibility. I think the hit on Ruhwedel was also the same kind of play. Foligno made mo attempt to play the puck and IMHO should have been charged with boarding. Two injuries could have been avoided with calling those kind of situations that way.

C'mon man, this is hockey. It's a collision sport. Nothing wrong with either of those hits. This is a game of violence and physicality. Not trying to be rude here man, but come on.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
My point was in a position of no where to go on the boards, playing the puck would be a safer play. I get it is a physical game, just seems to me a player who is in a vulnerable position is not hammered as a "hockey" play. It is the issue of how hard you line up someone who really is a easy target trying to make a play.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Maybe my brain is getting old, but when was the last time a Penguin injured an opponent with a hit? It seems weird all these hits that injure Penguins players never go unpunished, and I mean by the league. It can't be that all of these pro players are Pejorative Slured when it comes to absorbing a hit. I guess my point is that other teams' tactics against these Penguins is to hit them hard, so maybe getting a big body was a legit concern...

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Maybe my brain is getting old, but when was the last time a Penguin injured an opponent with a hit? It seems weird all these hits that injure Penguins players never go unpunished, and I mean by the league. It can't be that all of these pro players are ******ed when it comes to absorbing a hit. I guess my point is that other teams' tactics against these Penguins is to hit them hard, so maybe getting a big body was a legit concern...
How many has Malkin injured? Just wondering if it is a long list.

Hell Yeah!!!

Mar 11, 2007
ATL
Maybe my brain is getting old, but when was the last time a Penguin injured an opponent with a hit? It seems weird all these hits that injure Penguins players never go unpunished, and I mean by the league. It can't be that all of these pro players are ******ed when it comes to absorbing a hit. I guess my point is that other teams' tactics against these Penguins is to hit them hard, so maybe getting a big body was a legit concern...
I don’t think it’s a coincidence. We take a way disproportionate amount of punishment than we give. Roster composition drives that.

Reactions: Pens17

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
It's hard to tell if we actually receive more punishment or if it's just confirmation bias. I'm inclined to think it's the latter.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Really gotta hope that at least one of Dumo or Letang is back by Thursday otherwise I’m going to start thinking these guys are out long term. We have survived without them so far but it’s going to catch up and we have little room for error in that B2B with Columbus

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Just a thought. People are thinking that Dumo is ahead of Letang because he's skating. I'm not sure that is necessarily the case. If he has something like a pulled neck muscle, they may just want his neck immobile for a set period of time to heal. If he was skating he would risk aggravating it. I wouldn't be surprised to see him skate for a day or 2 and go right back into the lineup.

Of course, this is just a shot in the dark. My main point is that we know almost nothing about the injury, so it's difficult to define progress.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens next practice is Monday so by then things should be clearer on both. I would love to have both back and ready to go by Thursday.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Pens next practice is Monday so by then things should be clearer on both. I would love to have both back and ready to go by Thursday.

This is the Penguins we are talking about. Day to Day could mean a return by 2020 sometime.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Obviously the best case scenario would have been to have everyone that is injured back fully at practice. But hearing that all 3 defenseman were either beforehand skating or practicing in non contact was actually surprising in a good way.

Should be back soon. Was really surprised to hear Maata was skating. Didn’t think he would be close yet and hadn’t heard a peep about him.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Oh, nice. When I saw the tweet about Letang and Olli skating before practice but not Dumo, I assumed he'd had a setback.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Obviously the best case scenario would have been to have everyone that is injured back fully at practice. But hearing that all 3 defenseman were either beforehand skating or practicing in non contact was actually surprising in a good way.

Should be back soon. Was really surprised to hear Maata was skating. Didn’t think he would be close yet and hadn’t heard a peep about him.

It’s a shoulder injury so nothing preventing him from skating.

Reactions: Andy99

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

And may affect him when he does play. Hes already slow...last thing we need is him to be bothered by that shoulder. Letang and Dumo will be back and we have others, if Maatta is struggling they better not keep him in there.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I have no clue what our defense will look like when everyone is healthy.

A shoulder injury would definitely affect his skating if it was bad. You wouldnt be able to pump your arms at all. You’d feel your shoulder at every movement you made. So the injury has to be progressing well or the feeling pain factor has to be near a minimum.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I have no clue what our defense will look like when everyone is healthy.

A shoulder injury would definitely affect his skating if it was bad. You wouldnt be able to pump your arms at all. You’d feel your shoulder at every movement you made. So the injury has to be progressing well or the feeling pain factor has to be near a minimum.

Uh. You can’t skate through pain. A shoulder injury would not prevent a player from participating in a casual skate.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Uh. You can’t skate through pain. A shoulder injury would not prevent a player from participating in a casual skate.

A bad shoulder injury certainly would. And let’s not act like these guys are going through a “casual skate”. Look at the video of Letang of his pre-practice skate. You can’t do that with a badly injured shoulder

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think it was Yohe who said the Pens thought Maatta would be out 4-6 weeks.

Hes been out 3 weeks and he just started skating, so this is kind of where hes suppose to be.

Reactions: BHD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad