Injury Report: Updates In 1st Post | Clean Out Day

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
And the chances of him taking it to the media with some little dig are slim to none.
Doesn't seem like a Sully thing to do at all. But still odd to see conflicting quotes, and Sully's little add in at the end.

Maybe we need Tocchet and Ian Cole back. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Doesn't seem like a Sully thing to do at all. But still odd to see conflicting quotes, and Sully's little add in at the end.

Maybe we need Tocchet and Ian Cole back. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Sullivan was probably just doing his usual thing with injuries and is quietly annoyed with JR. Him having problems with players I get. Him revealing that to his nemesis in any way? No, he’s probably pissed off he’s expected to give injury reports at the end.

Nah, they need Kunitz back.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'm not going on a limb to say that Phil definitely had some kind of wrist or hand injury. During the regular season it was evident that he hurt his hand on several occasions. It was probably not as significant an injury as say - a torn groin or busted up knee - but it was enough to limit his shot and screw up his confidence. Sullivan didn't see it the same way - naturally - because hes comparing it to other injuries on the team. He doesn't seem like much of an excuses guy in general.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
huh. you are right. did he mean last april then? well that would be stupidly confusing :laugh:
Yeah, I have no idea what he is talking about. :laugh:

I don't completely trust Yohe's reporting to begin with but isn't he the guy who doesn't seem to like Phil? I think I remember him taking some subtle shots at him.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I'm not going on a limb to say that Phil definitely had some kind of wrist or hand injury. During the regular season it was evident that he hurt his hand on several occasions. It was probably not as significant an injury as say - a torn groin or busted up knee - but it was enough to limit his shot and screw up his confidence. Sullivan didn't see it the same way - naturally - because hes comparing it to other injuries on the team. He doesn't seem like much of an excuses guy in general.
He fell into the boards right at the trade deadline, that was his first UBI, ribs or shoulder. His game took an immediate dive. Then in last regular season game vs the Flyers late in March, he took a slash to the wrist. He was completely neutered then. He also had some sort of wrap on his hamstring. Honestly, he was all kinds of f***ed up.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Certainly interesting, in that GMJR and HCMS seem to suffer in their respective explanations of Kessel's injury.

I'm not looking into it much. I believe that his injury wasn't severe, but was something that was absolutely debilitating. Agreed he should've been shut down for a short time in the regular season in order to recover.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
He fell into the boards right at the trade deadline, that was his first UBI, ribs or shoulder. His game took an immediate dive. Then in last regular season game vs the Flyers late in March, he took a slash to the wrist. He was completely neutered then. He also had some sort of wrap on his hamstring. Honestly, he was all kinds of ****ed up.

Interesting. Where/how did you hear about the hamstring wrap?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
He fell into the boards right at the trade deadline, that was his first UBI, ribs or shoulder. His game took an immediate dive. Then in last regular season game vs the Flyers late in March, he took a slash to the wrist. He was completely neutered then. He also had some sort of wrap on his hamstring. Honestly, he was all kinds of ****ed up.
Didn't he take a hard hip hit / land on the ice on his hip late season too. Around 2 weeks before PO's right when he really went to the trash bin?
Phil was demolished I refuse to believe otherwise. Looked like it, played like it.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Certainly interesting, in that GMJR and HCMS seem to suffer in their respective explanations of Kessel's injury.

I'm not looking into it much. I believe that his injury wasn't severe, but was something that was absolutely debilitating. Agreed he should've been shut down for a short time in the regular season in order to recover.
Him and Brassard mostly. I couldn't imagine having to play professional hockey on a torn up groin. That shooting pain / lack of strength would drive me insane. What are the odds.
Should have figured it was too good to be true to have almost a whole year of relatively healthy players only to get sap'd right at post season / R1.

Reactions: ncm7772

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
huh. you are right. did he mean last april then? well that would be stupidly confusing :laugh:

It was last April. It says they get “aggravated” that Kessel is so “enamoured” with his streak. I get being annoyed with the streak but that example is stupid. They won the cup in 2017 and he had 23 points in 25 games. Sullivan also apparently turned on Cole who listened and sat out.

The thing with this season was that they dicked around and didn’t clinch until the home stretch and were playing for home ice. They needed him playing through shit for most of the season. I doubt 1 game off was going to do whatever his problems were any good either.

The nhl culture of players having to play 82 games if they can and the love the ironman streaks get is stupid. It’s an 82 game season and up to 28 playoff games with potential for OT in the poorly run meat grinder.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Him and Brassard mostly. I couldn't imagine having to play professional hockey on a torn up groin. That shooting pain / lack of strength would drive me insane. What are the odds.
Should have figured it was too good to be true to have almost a whole year of relatively healthy players only to get sap'd right at post season / R1.

Agreed. I've never injured my groin (knocks on wood), but I played my entire football season in 2011 with two strained hamstrings. Sucked. Can only imagine how much worse playing with a wonky groin would be.

Reactions: shoplifter

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Agreed. I've never injured my groin (knocks on wood), but I played my entire football season in 2011 with two strained hamstrings. Sucked. Can only imagine how much worse playing with a wonky groin would be.

It’s horrible. I had a grade 2 way back and it didn’t fully heal for 5-6 months. You feel it every second you are skating and you constantly think about how much it’s going to hurt when you do a quick turn or even worse, have to stop on a dime.

It always feels like it’s going to rip and it’s so f***ing bad...

I’d rather have tendinitis in my elbow again and that took over a year to get better.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Interesting. Where/how did you hear about the hamstring wrap?
One of the beat guys on some radio show or podcast....could have been DVE, Savran, Madden, or post-game on 93.7....I can't remember which. So much stimuli during the 24/7 coverage of the playoffs, it's all a blur. Anyway, it was mentioned that he was seen with a wrap around his hamstring area, in the locker room.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Kessel's use from late season through the playoffs was poorly managed. If Sprong had played that badly no one would have expected him to be kept in the lineup. Why would anyone suggest it was Phil's decision to play or not?
Sully played him, too much, he owns it.

Reactions: Finesse

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016

I just read the article and Yohe did say last April, so I guess April 2017. Regarding Kessel, I thought a member of the media said awhile ago that Kessel had been walking with a limp for most of the season, so that would seem to support the idea that he was having hamstring problems.

EDIT: Yohe says Kessel had been walking with a limp in this article. It's from The Athletic, so behind a paywall.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
P I don't think Sully, for as much as it's been noted he and Phil are not great pals, would be spiteful and petty enough to take a shot at him in an exit interview on clean out day.

If some are thinking that was a shot at Kessel by Sullivan, I think they're reading too much into a harmless comment. If Sullivan was calling out Kessel at the exit interviews on a clean out day, that's a great way to lose the room, to lose respect of all of his players. Not something he would be doing.

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
It was last April. It says they get “aggravated” that Kessel is so “enamoured” with his streak. I get being annoyed with the streak but that example is stupid. They won the cup in 2017 and he had 23 points in 25 games. Sullivan also apparently turned on Cole who listened and sat out.

The thing with this season was that they dicked around and didn’t clinch until the home stretch and were playing for home ice. They needed him playing through **** for most of the season. I doubt 1 game off was going to do whatever his problems were any good either.

The nhl culture of players having to play 82 games if they can and the love the ironman streaks get is stupid. It’s an 82 game season and up to 28 playoff games with potential for OT in the poorly run meat grinder.
Exactly.

Phil got them into the playoffs while most of the the Pens were dicking around like they wanted to be a lottery team. The streak BS is stupid but we actually needed him playing through stuff this season. Next, I'm half expecting to hear he has a "gambling problem."

I also agree with those who say people are reading far too much into Sully downplaying injuries. It's what he does.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Exactly.

Phil got them into the playoffs while most of the the Pens were dicking around like they wanted to be a lottery team. The streak BS is stupid but we actually needed him playing through stuff this season. Next, I'm half expecting to hear he has a "gambling problem."

I also agree with those who say people are reading far too much into Sully downplaying injuries. It's what he does.

Definitely. I think he just doesn't want it to seem like they're making excuses and letting entitlement slip in.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad