Injury Report: Updates In 1st Post | Clean Out Day

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Was it or was it a slash or net front casualty? But not a tonne.

This season

Shot block: Cole, Rowney
Not shot block: Hunwick, Schultz

Last season
Shot block: Bonino, Cullen's foot, Hornqvist's concussion (maybe, could have been from a goal post). Was Kunitz' lower body from a shot block? Probably Dumoulin's hand and Cole's hand in the playoffs but those could have also been slashes. Hornqvist's hand apparently.

Not shot block: letang's neck, Maatta's hand, Crosby's concussions, Dumoulin's jaw, daley's knee, Schultz's concussion, Schultz's ribs, sheary's eye, sheary taking a puck to the arm, sheary's concussion, Guentzel's concussion, ruhwedel's wrist, Kuhnhackl's groin, Pouliot's knee, Murray's WCoH hand, murray's hamstring, murray's tweaked whatever, Cole's ribs, Hornqvist's other concussion

Malkin had whatever, I can't remember. Hagelin broke his leg somehow, Rust had some assorted things

How many of those are pace related either?

Hags ankle/lower leg was from a shot block I think. I believe both him and Horny attributed their injuries to the puck. In any event, your list is very good. Dumo broke the jaw because he was defending in front of our net. I would consider that a shot block. Malkin injured his shoulder blocking a shot against Wpg. I believe all of the hand injuries we had were from pucks while we were defending in front of the net. That's our style. This list, with some modifications, shows that nearly half our injuries were from shot blocks. It follows that we could seriously reduce the odds of injury and/or cut the injuries in half during the RS if we didn't defend primarily by shot blocking....

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I may need to see the incident again but from what I saw the Schultz injury was a total fluke. He went to pin the guy, and the guy decided to make a move with his back to Schultz and Schultz got the elbow flush.

I think it was just one of those things.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Hags ankle/lower leg was from a shot block I think. I believe both him and Horny attributed their injuries to the puck. In any event, your list is very good. Dumo broke the jaw because he was defending in front of our net. I would consider that a shot block. Malkin injured his shoulder blocking a shot against Wpg. I believe all of the hand injuries we had were from pucks while we were defending in front of the net. That's our style. This list, with some modifications, shows that nearly half our injuries were from shot blocks. It follows that we could seriously reduce the odds of injury and/or cut the injuries in half during the RS if we didn't defend primarily by shot blocking....

No, it shows that at most a third of their injuries were from shot blocking over 107 games including the playoffs when they would be blocking everything. In a small sample size it's currently 50% this season.

Dumoulin wasn't a shot block, he got hit by a stray puck. A puck got deflected into his face when he was battling with Bennett. But here's the thing, other teams block a lot of shots and don't have the injury problems the Pens do and have for years. The playoff ones like Bonino, Cole, Dumoulin and Hornqvist will happen because that's the time to block the shots. In the regular season their style only resulted in a handful of injuries from blocked shots. Right now they're not even in that kamikaze shot blocking mode they do in the playoffs. They just continuously find a way to get hurt and have for years. They're going easier right now and are consistently losing players.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Any news on Hunwick? Seems whenever a Penguins player gets a concussion, he's gone for weeks. Other teams get their concussed players back in 3 or 4 games.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I haven't seen an injury update for a few days, so no idea. Last I saw he was skating on his own, but hadn't re-joined the team for practice. Coaches address the media 2 hours before puck drop, generally, so we might get something then.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Yay!

But yeah, someone else will be injured soon.

But seriously though, I hope this means rest start to monitor Letang's minutes more.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Today is probably a travel day, so it's unlikely we get any updates. I'm surprised HCMS gave that much away, TBTH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->