Injury Report: Updates In 1st Post | Letang Out vs CBJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
The thing that worries me about concussions is not necessarily coming back too soon, you have to figure these drs aren’t clearing them if they are not symptom free. It’s more about certain guys ability to continually get them from basic or regular everyday hits. It can’t be good to get diagnosed with a concussion regularly I wouldn’t think.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The thing that worries me about concussions is not necessarily coming back too soon, you have to figure these drs aren’t clearing them if they are not symptom free. It’s more about certain guys ability to continually get them from basic or regular everyday hits. It can’t be good to get diagnosed with a concussion regularly I wouldn’t think.

When you have 2 concussions in 5 weeks it’s time to be a bit more cautious. Also after the next 2 games we don’t play until the 28th so it seem like a no brainer (pardon the pun :laugh:) to sit him out.

He might be 100% symptom free and cognitively normal but considering we only play 2 more games in the next 10 days I don’t understand taking that risk.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
You either have a concussion or your 100% healthy.

Its not like an ankle injury where you might be 80% healthy.

If Horny doesn't have a concussion then he should be playing, that's what hes payed to do.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

If Horny doesn't have a concussion then he should be playing, that's what hes payed to do.

I generally agree with this. BUT with how easy he got the last one and how many he has had and that their 2 games away from an extended break, i have no problem being extra cautious and just giving the guy a break.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I have a hope (not sure how realistic) that this past episode for Horny wasn't necessarily a concussion, but more of a "ow the puck hit my jaw, my face hurts a lot, we'll take a week or two off while it heals".

You can't really put that into an injury report though (unless you just call it upper body). But still if it wasn't exactly the C word why would they report it as such

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

There is nothing to determine that though with 100% certainty. It’s also unknown if his brain will get back to 100%. Was he 100% when he got his last one because it seemed to come on easier.

It’s very complex and considering 2 games off will give him double the amount of time off especially with his his history (5 concussions in 4 years) and the 2nd last one being so close, I would have thought that’s the most important thing.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
There is nothing to determine that though with 100% certainty. It’s also unknown if his brain will get back to 100%. Was he 100% when he got his last one because it seemed to come on easier.

It’s very complex and considering 2 games off will give him double the amount of time off especially with his his history (5 concussions in 4 years) and the 2nd last one being so close, I would have thought that’s the most important thing.

Your aloud to have your opinion on concussions, but the doctors who have to clear him know a lot more about concussions then you do.

The Dr's are also aware of the Pens upcoming schedule.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Your aloud to have your opinion on concussions, but the doctors who have to clear him know a lot more about concussions then you do.

The Dr's are also aware of the Pens upcoming schedule.

Are these the same doctors that said Crosby didn’t have mumps? :laugh:

While I don’t see Hornqvist and know his particular situation up close I am well educated on concussions and know doctors are really only providing guesstimates on the situation.

I’m not sure of what doctor he's seeing but I’d question if they didn’t recommend more time given the circumstances just how good they are.

NHL is still lagging when it comes to brain injury.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Are these the same doctors that said Crosby didn’t have mumps? :laugh:

While I don’t see Hornqvist and know his particular situation up close I am well educated on concussions and know doctors are really only providing guesstimates on the situation.

I’m not sure of what doctor he's seeing but I’d question if they didn’t recommend more time given the circumstances just how good they are.

NHL is still lagging when it comes to brain injury.

Just taking a guess here because i'm no doctor

But its very rare for a team to go on a long road trip across the country with only 12 forwards

The only thing that makes sense is that they didn't want to put Horny on IR because they weren't expecting him to be out very long.

That tells me that doctors most likely kept Horny out of the lineup this long for precaution.

He might of been ready to practice with the team a week ago, but they decided to keep him out this long for precaution.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Just taking a guess here because i'm no doctor

But its very rare for a team to go on a long road trip across the country with only 12 forwards

The only thing that makes sense is that they didn't want to put Horny on IR because they weren't expecting him to be out very long.

That tells me that doctors most likely kept Horny out of the lineup this long for precaution.

He might of been ready to practice with the team a week ago, but they decided to keep him out this long for precaution.

If they diagnosed him with a concussion knowing he had one 5 weeks ago and thought it was a good idea to not put him on IR (minimum 7 days) so he could potentially play earlier is pretty crazy to me.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If they diagnosed him with a concussion knowing he had one 5 weeks ago and thought it was a good idea to not put him on IR (minimum 7 days) so he could potentially play earlier is pretty crazy to me.

Some players only miss 1 game with a concussion.

Sid missed one game against the Caps after this the Niskanen hit.

Didn't Dumoulin come back the next game after the Wilson hit?

Every concussion is different.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
When you have 2 concussions in 5 weeks it’s time to be a bit more cautious. Also after the next 2 games we don’t play until the 28th so it seem like a no brainer (pardon the pun :laugh:) to sit him out.

He might be 100% symptom free and cognitively normal but considering we only play 2 more games in the next 10 days I don’t understand taking that risk.

That's what I don't get. Even if he seems fine, given his history and how much time off there is after these next two games, why not err on the side of caution and just rest him these final two games?

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Yeah they are all different but the NHL is well behind in this area (the spotters are a joke) and I’m very skeptical of players being 100% in a couple days especially given the speed the NHL is played at.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yeah they are all different but the NHL is well behind in this area (the spotters are a joke) and I’m very skeptical of players being 100% in a couple days especially given the speed the NHL is played at.

Its the same thing that happens in the NFL, players get a concussion then get cleared the next game.

I guess its a little different because games are once a week, but players are back practicing with the team 2 or 3 days later after a concussion.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Concussions aren't that cut and dry. The brain is such a complex part of the body that it's hard to know what's going on. Concussions, seizures, etc. The symptoms can be detected, but the cause of them is harder to identify.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

When I was a kid I was at a pool party and had to run to get ready for football practice. I ran through the patio dripping wet and patio floor wet is like ice. I smashed my face so hard I'll never forget it. I had to have been concussed, I saw stars the rest of the day and I felt incapable of doing what I had to do.

I couldn't imagine having a concussion in professional sports - let alone several- and risk your life out there. It's crazy players just brush off concussions. It's brain damage for crying out loud.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Give him time off with the break. That can only help in his recovery. One game is not going to make or break the season here and they can win in LV without him.

Reactions: EightyOne

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
I was really hoping Schultz would beat his 4 month projection but it sounds like he will be out until mid February after all.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Did I hear correctly Schultz was taking some drills with the team? :D

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Did I hear correctly Schultz was taking some drills with the team? :D
I saw he was doing drills prior to practice, but nothing with the team. Can you post where you saw/heard it? From his timeline, he should be joining the team in the next week or so. I don't think they should rush him back, but the sooner he returns the better.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I saw he was doing drills prior to practice, but nothing with the team. Can you post where you saw/heard it? From his timeline, he should be joining the team in the next week or so. I don't think they should rush him back, but the sooner he returns the better.

I thought it might have been a cryptic clue from Kingerski. My first thought was Schultz. Maybe I’m way off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad