Equipment: Updated: CCM RBZ 110 Shin Guards and Pants

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I've managed to crack two pairs of Reebok shin guards in the last year. One was a pair of 7k's from around 2013 and the other was a pair of 6k's from around 2010. All three of the guards that cracked were at the knees splitting from the top.

I haven't shopped for these in a long time and will definitely hit up the stores to try them on, but what brands and models are recommended (or generally disliked)?

Priorities for me would be:

- A good strap system so they don't move around
- Liner/padding that dries quickly
- Ventilation would be nice but not necessary
- Decent protection but NHL level not needed
- Don't really want to spend $100+

Last edited:

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
If you can still find them clearance CCM CLs are nice and should be under 100 USD but I think any shin pad starts moving around once the elastic on the straps starts to wear out.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Try to find some Nexus 1000's on clearance. The strapping system is as good as it gets and you can pull out the liners so it dries quicker.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
I have CCM U+ CLs I use for roller and find the strap on securely, are light and dry fast. I've only used them a few times though. You may still be able to find them at some places on clearance in your size for below $100.

Other shin pads that have a comfortable strapping system and you might find on clearance for under $100 are:

Warrior Dynasty AX1 and AXLT. I found the strapping secure and comfortable (neoprene type wrap top straps) and they have removable liners, but the senior sized pads have a lot of volume in the calf area. If you have a slimmer leg and take 14 or 15 inch pads then the intermediate sizes in these would be good option. I take 16" pads so only have the senior option available.

Bauer One.8 or Bauer APX. Both of those have comfortable neoprene type straps and removable liners.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
I've managed to crack two pairs of Reebok shin guards in the last year. One was a pair of 7k's from around 2013 and the other was a pair of 6k's from around 2010. All three of the guards that cracked were at the knees splitting from the top.

I haven't shopped for these in a long time and will definitely hit up the stores to try them on, but what brands and models are recommended (or generally disliked)?

Priorities for me would be:

- A good strap system so they don't move around
- Liner/padding that dries quickly
- Ventilation would be nice but not necessary
- Decent protection but NHL level not needed
- Don't really want to spend $100+

I'm a Reebok man myself going back to the Jofa days. I like that for the most part, they haven't tried to reinvent the wheel with each new product line. I just got an email from Hockey Monkey this morning and their last, top of the line 20K model is on sale for $109 and the other models go down in price from there. However, if you've had durability issues, I can certainly understand wanting to explore other avenues.

Personally speaking, the only brand of shin guards that has almost gotten me out of my Reeboks has been Warrior. Going back to the 2010 white and grey Projekt line, I feel like their shin guards are amongst the most mobile while still providing adequate protection. The 2013 AX1 stepped up the protection a notch, and those can still be had for around $80.

I've heard good things about the last couple of CCM cycles, but in fairness, I really haven't checked out other brands all that closely.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
If you enjoy the shape/width of the Reeboks, the current CCM Tacks line looks really strong! A more versatile fit profile as well with the strapping and calf guard.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
Yes, the new Tacks line adapts the type of strapping Bauer has been using on their Supreme line for a while and Warrior has used on their Projekt/Dynasty pads. It's much better than the old Reebok strapping system. The top of the line Tacks will obviously be over $100, but you can find something in the middle of that range that would work for your budget.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I ended up with the CCM RBZ 110. I don't like wide shin guards and couldn't stand the older Reeboks. The RBZ shins seem to have a really good strap system that crosses diagonally in both directions. Seems to really lock the shin in place on the leg.

Decided to get a bit of a cheaper model because I mostly play in rec leagues and don't really get a lot of pucks and sticks to the back of the legs. Will see how they hold up.

Thanks everyone!

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
I know you already got them but I just got CCM RBZ 150s on clearance for $80 in store at Total Hockey. Not on sale online for some reason.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yeah I saw some of the higher end models randomly on sale, but they weren't in my size. I think the 110's should be fine considering I play rec hockey and don't drop to block shots or anything.

The CCM protective stuff looks pretty good. I wasn't happy with the Tacklas that I bought over the summer (851's I think) as they were too bulky and didn't fit very well, so I picked up a pair of the 110 pants as well. They are pretty light weight and fit my beer gut better.

Wouldn't mind trying the 130 elbows as well. They look really similar to my JOFA's but look like they would dry a lot quicker.

Tombu

Jan 8, 2012
Penalty box
I took a clearing shot on the back of my leg in beer league a couple of weeks ago. Hit the soft padding on my inside calf. Felt good, man.

Ew0ikON.jpg

I'm wearing Bauer Supreme One.6 shins. I do value and recommend shin pads with a decent backside padding. ;)

Jarick

Doing Nothing
First skate with the RBZ 110 shins and pants. The shins are very noticeably slimmer than my old ones. My skate socks are all stretched out and baggy now. I also noticed a lot more air flow on my legs, maybe from the pants. Everything felt very light and comfortable.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I used the shins and pants for back to back nights and they were fully dry within 20 hours of the first skate. Really appreciate that. My JOFA elbows, Easton helmet pads, and Graf skates were all still damp. Really considering the 130 elbows at this point (although I would never part with the JOFA's).

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I used the shins and pants for back to back nights and they were fully dry within 20 hours of the first skate. Really appreciate that. My JOFA elbows, Easton helmet pads, and Graf skates were all still damp. Really considering the 130 elbows at this point (although I would never part with the JOFA's).

It sounds like you've got a good set of gear for yourself. I have the top of the line CCM RBZ shin guards and they are similar but with Ufoam on the back and sides for protection. The shape is the same, and the strapping is probably similar. Don't worry, you can block shots with what you have from the front and although you'll feel it, you won't get hurt.

My buddy got an older model with a similar design on sale here in Canada, basically a steal actually price wise.
https://www.sportchek.ca/categories...ct/ccm-u-12-senior-shin-guards-331174674.html

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Got my first test with these shins as I fell on one knee twice. To be honest, it hurt like hell, and that's never happened before. It's like the bottom of the knee cap portion banged right into my shin. Both times.

Loving the fit, and they work fine against shots, but this has me concerned. Might have to take a look at the higher end options.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Got my first test with these shins as I fell on one knee twice. To be honest, it hurt like hell, and that's never happened before. It's like the bottom of the knee cap portion banged right into my shin. Both times.

Loving the fit, and they work fine against shots, but this has me concerned. Might have to take a look at the higher end options.

Maybe they are not the correct size for you? I have the RBZ top end model and I'm a big fan, maybe you could step up a model for a little more protection in the knee area.

I would see about the size first, if that's not a problem you can return them for a more protective model in the same line - the 130 model might be a good match.

https://youtu.be/VB2ejzmF4C4

Jarick

Doing Nothing
It's the same size as everything else I've used the last 10 years and fits great, it's just that the bottom of the knee cap pushes through the padding into the shin.

Once that first bruise healed up I haven't had any other issues, but I may at some point add a little bit of additional foam or padding to that area to mitigate the impact. Don't really want to buy new pads if I don't have to.

One other annoyance is that the velcro tabs stick to the socks when pulling up and come undone. Both straps wrap diagonally down, so pulling the socks up pulls them back. No idea on a fix for this.

The pants are still working out really well, zero issues, but I'm not exactly blocking shots or falling all over the place.

I may have to take another look at the elbow pads. My JOFA pads are getting really disgusting, even after washing them.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I "completed" the set with the 110 elbows. I had looked at the 130's, but honestly I don't need much protection most of the time in friendly beer league. Plus they were on clearance for $25 and it's hard to say no for that price.

The CCM elbows seem to run small. I'm 5'7 but have Popeye forearms so I'm always wearing large size elbows. With these guys I almost felt like I could have used an XL, which isn't available. The 110's seemed to run even a touch smaller than the 130's, but maybe it's just because they looked less bulky.

Both the 110 and 130 have large padding right on the inside of the elbow with a notch for the elbow to fit into. I found the padding for both to be too thick compared to the size of the exterior padding, and that made it feel like the pad was sitting on top of the arm rather than the arm fitting inside neatly.

In terms of freedom of movement, in the store I could essentially straighten my arms with the 110's while the 130's limited the movement just a tiny bit. Granted they are both flexible compared to elbow pads from several years ago, but again I play mostly friendly rec league so I'm not as worried about the high end protection.

Comparing the straps, the 110 has a bicep strap and a second strap that goes across the elbow, through a loop, and diagonally across the forearm. The 130 has a bicep strap, a horizontal strap across the elbow, and a horizontal strap across the forearm (like my JOFA's). The 130 did feel a touch more secure, but the 110 didn't slide around too much.

Putting them on before the game, I noticed I was wanting to tighten the strap a bit more. Maybe the elastic has a bit too much play and I would have preferred a stiffer strap? Again I didn't love the elbow pad portion, but my JOFA's don't have any interior padding so maybe I need to adjust. There's the possibility that it breaks in and flattens out over time.

Lastly during play, they really felt a lot slimmer than the JOFA pads. It felt more like I was wearing a recreational pad rather than a serious protective pad. I can't say that I tested the elbows much other than a couple spills, so for now I can't speak to any lack of protection. To be honest, I doubt it would make much of a difference for rec hockey unless you are getting a lot of heavy slashes.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
It's the same size as everything else I've used the last 10 years and fits great, it's just that the bottom of the knee cap pushes through the padding into the shin.

Once that first bruise healed up I haven't had any other issues, but I may at some point add a little bit of additional foam or padding to that area to mitigate the impact. Don't really want to buy new pads if I don't have to.

One other annoyance is that the velcro tabs stick to the socks when pulling up and come undone. Both straps wrap diagonally down, so pulling the socks up pulls them back. No idea on a fix for this.

The pants are still working out really well, zero issues, but I'm not exactly blocking shots or falling all over the place.

I may have to take another look at the elbow pads. My JOFA pads are getting really disgusting, even after washing them.

Are you wearing knit socks or edge socks? I wear edge socks with RBZ130 shins and don't have that problem with the velcro.

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn
I took a clearing shot on the back of my leg in beer league a couple of weeks ago. Hit the soft padding on my inside calf. Felt good, man.

Ew0ikON.jpg

I'm wearing Bauer Supreme One.6 shins. I do value and recommend shin pads with a decent backside padding. ;)

I bought a pair of the vital nation Kevlar socks that have extra padding on the back side of the calf. So far they've been great but haven't gotten tested out too much.
You can get them at prostockhockey.com for $25. http://www.prostockhockey.com/jerse...-blackhawks-vital-nation-practice-sock-black/

Just a tip I bought the xl size and I'm 6'5-6'6 and they're just about perfect in size so bear in mind they run kinda big long. I also have pretty long jock shorts but the Velcro lines up pretty well with the xl.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad