Trent Hunter, NYI: +4
M. Bergeron, EDM: +4

Top Average Time on Ice (ATOI)
Steve Eminger, WAS: 21:24
Dan Hamhuis, NSH: 20:25
Martin Strbak, LA: 19:14
M. Bergeron, EDM: 19:02
Tom Preissing, SJ: 18:52

I'm not very familiar with which goaltenders are technically rookies. I think DiPietro and Raycraft are both ineligable for the Calder, but obviously Fleury is.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Mizral said:
I'm not very familiar with which goaltenders are technically rookies. I think DiPietro and Raycraft are both ineligable for the Calder, but obviously Fleury is.

Is there any difference between a goaltender and a skater in terms or rookie eligibility? The NHL website makes no such distinction.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
SmokeyClause said:
Is there any difference between a goaltender and a skater in terms or rookie eligibility? The NHL website makes no such distinction.

I don't believe so. It's the same 30 games in one year or x many games or x many years formula. Just harder to achieve for goalies so they tend to stay as rookies for several years. I remember Storr being consider a rookie in his 3rd year of full time NHL duty...

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Wicked....

I am a Bruin Fan
Patrice leading all rookies
Raycroft playing superb

I am a Newfie
Jason King 2nd in rookie scoring
Michael Ryder T-8th in rookie scoring

awww.....life is good
I wasn't this happy about Newfie Scoring since Druken's breakout year in Vancouver!!

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
Jakethesnake said:
what about Zidlicky???
Hmm, according to ESPN.com as of Nov, 4, 2003:

Marek Zidlicky: 11 games, 3g, 8a, 11pts
P. Bergeron: 12 games, 3g, 5a, 8pts
Jason King: 11 games, 5, 2a, 7pts

But according to NHL.com, Marek Zidlicky's status is not listed as a rookie. So is Zidlicky a rookie this season or not?

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Vman said:
Hmm, according to ESPN.com as of Nov, 4, 2003:

Marek Zidlicky: 11 games, 3g, 8a, 11pts
P. Bergeron: 12 games, 3g, 5a, 8pts
Jason King: 11 games, 5, 2a, 7pts

But according to NHL.com, Marek Zidlicky's status is not listed as a rookie. So is Zidlicky a rookie this season or not?

This is his rookie season but he is ineligible for the calder. He's too old.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I am making my prediction right now that if he stays with the team, Fleury is a lock to win the Calder this year.

He is the Pittsburgh Penguins. Teams who have played us know. He's the reason that we haven't been routinely embarassed.

IMO, he has it in the bag.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
MrKnowNothing said:
I am making my prediction right now that if he stays with the team, Fleury is a lock to win the Calder this year.

He is the Pittsburgh Penguins. Teams who have played us know. He's the reason that we haven't been routinely embarassed.

This may be so, but I think Joni Pitkanen will have something to say about that. It's possible he'll have 40+ points as a defenseman and be a +30 or so, that's pretty hard to beat if you ask me. He also has almost single handedly resurected the Flyers pp thus far, pretty darn good for a rookie d-man. I believe that it's a two hourse race.

Karamazov

Mar 6, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm not taking anything away from Pitkanen or how well he's played thus far but if he gets 40 pts as a rookie I will gag and keel over. It is completely unheard of for a rookie to get that many points in his first year. AS the season progresses and teams target him a little more expect him to cool off somewhat. Don't get me wrong, this kid is amazing - but 40 pts is a very unreasonable expectation. Fleury should take the Calder this year barring a total collapse with Pitkanen coming in #2. Both very impressive...

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Semin had 2 assists tonight giving him 4 points in 6 games played this season.

I think he's finally made his way into the starting line up...and is getting PP time to boot.

Its on.

:yo:

Karamazov said:
I'm not taking anything away from Pitkanen or how well he's played thus far but if he gets 40 pts as a rookie I will gag and keel over. It is completely unheard of for a rookie to get that many points in his first year. AS the season progresses and teams target him a little more expect him to cool off somewhat. Don't get me wrong, this kid is amazing - but 40 pts is a very unreasonable expectation. Fleury should take the Calder this year barring a total collapse with Pitkanen coming in #2. Both very impressive...

Bryan Berard scored 48 points his rookie year in the league ('97) on a bottom 5 team in the league, so I don't think it's impossible. The league was a bit more offensive then, but it still indicates that it isn't impossible for Pitkanen to score 40. Although, I agree that I don't think he will do it.

Wingboy2999

Feb 16, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
If Fleury stays the Pens starter, no contest. How can you not give it to a goalie with a save % hovering around .925-.930? He is playing incredibly, keeping the Pens in every game and winning some for them.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
MrKnowNothing said:

Nobody has it locked or in the bag...very good rookies this year, wait till the end of the year and then make these statements...Fleury could start sucking, Pitkänen could start sucking....some guy we never heard of might start scoring in bunches.

Fleury's position is the most vulnerable...penguins are not good at all this season, and he will not be able to save them constantly. There will be games where someone will make him look bad and drop his stats to a level where they dont belong.

Fire Bobby Clarke

Pitkanen or Staal will win it...I have seen Staal play a couple of games and he looks really good butright now I would have to lean towards Pitkanen...not because I am homer but he is only a couple of points away from the rookie scoring lead (damn good considering he is a defensmen), he has the best +/- and he means more to Flyers then any other rookie to their teams (with the exception of Fleury).

Biscuit Bullet

Feb 28, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
jincargo said:
Semin had 2 assists tonight giving him 4 points in 6 games played this season.

I think he's finally made his way into the starting line up...and is getting PP time to boot.

Its on.

:yo:

What I find even more impressive than his point totals so far are his shot totals. With limited ice time (10 minutes a game, to be generous), he's tallied 15 shots in 6 games. Rookies usually struggle to get good shots total, but he's proving he has a nose for the net and a knack for creating scoring chances despite his rookie status and his smallish stature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad