Proposal: Updated Buffalo rebuild (ANA, CAR, BOS, TOR, NYR, PHI)

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Lousy deal for the Rangers. Getting rid of Staal at the expense of Chtyil isn't worth it. Chytil projects to do far more for us than Okposo ever could.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
To St Louis
Evander Kane

To Buffalo
2018 1st
Vince Dunn

Look through the entire history of trades involving rental forwards and you won't find a single one that fetched a young Dman as good as Dunn. Teams don't trade pieces like that for rentals.

The late 1st + a B prospect should be the high end of your expectations for a Kane trade based on comparable rental deals.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
The reason why Buffalo is so bad is because they tore everything down, had no one to mentor the young players, then tried to speed up the rebuild with a couple of trades and overpaid UFA's.

If they'd tear it down again I'll feel terrible for the fans. They are already bad enough no need to intentionally tank.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Look through the entire history of trades involving rental forwards and you won't find a single one that fetched a young Dman as good as Dunn. Teams don't trade pieces like that for rentals.

The late 1st + a B prospect should be the high end of your expectations for a Kane trade based on comparable rental deals.

What is a comparable rental deal for one of the top 5 ES scorers over the last 2 seasons? Kane has his faults but I am not exactly seeing something similar. I looked a bit but nothing is coming to mind.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
What is a comparable rental deal for one of the top 5 ES scorers over the last 2 seasons? Kane has his faults but I am not exactly seeing something similar. I looked a bit but nothing is coming to mind.

Just compare with the very best rental wingers dealt over the past several years, you're not going to see any Dunn types involved in those deals.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
leafs don't give up Kapanen,Bracco and a 3rd for Nylander.
he has been bad in the AHL. 32pts in 72 games, -31

still young but the leafs arent paying a top 10 pick price for a kid that has struggled

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
no just no from carolina. Hanifin is worth WAY more than all of this here. he is showing why we drafted him right now. just scored the GWG and is top 30 in defensemen points. Wouldn't trade Hanifin for both let alone add zykov

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
no just no from carolina. Hanifin is worth WAY more than all of this here. he is showing why we drafted him right now. just scored the GWG and is top 30 in defensemen points. Wouldn't trade Hanifin for both let alone add zykov

Calm down my friend. He still has a ways to go on the defensive side of the puck before he attains that truly high-level trade value. What he’s done offensively since being unshackled from Dahlbeck/Tennyson/Murphy has been very impressive, but he’s playing on the 3rd pairing in a sheltered role with no PK time. His value is still, at least in part, based on his potential.

Reactions: DaveG

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
Calm down my friend. He still has a ways to go on the defensive side of the puck before he attains that truly high-level trade value. What he’s done offensively since being unshackled from Dahlbeck/Tennyson/Murphy has been very impressive, but he’s playing on the 3rd pairing in a sheltered role with no PK time. His value is still, at least in part, based on his potential.
we just need him to learn the basics on defense to where he wont be a liability. he has learned that mostly just needs to learn how to hit someone not in a fight. the kid i have now have higher hopes than ever.

HammerTime44

Flyers-Phillies-Packers-LH44
Feb 11, 2014
Philadelphia
I'd take Lehner over our current goalies. I think he's just crazy enough to beat the crap out of someone to wake this team up.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Cause we are not very high on Nylander anymore it seems, I don't watch AHL but those that do have not been too positive on him after he returned from injury. And he didn't wow much last year either. I'd rather go for lower-risk, lower-reward player in Kapanen. TOR have the brothers connection so may be more willing to take a chance on Alex.

For Chytil I have proposed a package that helps the Rangers quite a bit now, when they have still functioning Lundqvist. With the retention on Okposo and by dumping Staal for cheaper D in McCabe I'd think they take the offer. It's anyone's guess as none of us are GMs, just trying to look at where the franchise is and what they are gunning for. Chytil is still technically only magic beans...

The issue is that you are assuming the Rangers are in an "OMG win now before Henrik loses it" mentality. Based on Gorton's moves over the last couple of offseasons, I would say the indication is that the Rangers are in a "build a dominant young team to support Shestyorkin when he gets here" mentality. They would surely like to win one for Henrik, but they are building a roster that will be in its prime for his successor.

Reactions: Monument

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I proposed this in another thread

Edm 1st 2018 (top 5 protected)
Edm 2nd 2018
B prospect

Risto

I think the value is there with likely a top 10 pick and a high 2nd. I was using the Dougie Hamilton benchmark for compiling a deal. Am I far off in that comparison?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Edm 2nd 2018
B prospect

Risto

I think the value is there with likely a top 10 pick and a high 2nd. I was using the Dougie Hamilton benchmark for compiling a deal. Am I far off in that comparison?

B prospect would have to be another 2nd rd pick.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Edm 2nd 2018
B prospect

Risto

Yes.

Hamilton was a pending RFA. Calgary just cut out the offer sheet step. You're not getting Buffalo's best defenseman for a handful of magic beans.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Replace Chytil with Lettieri and the Rangers do it lol

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Do the Sabres have any interest in trading RoR to the Islanders? If so, who would be of interest? (Leddy is not on the table)

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
New proposal based on feedback from 1st thread...

We start from something likes this (not really today's lines) - age; cap hit; contract years after this season;

Kane (26, 5.25, UFA) - Eichel (21, 10, 8) - Reinhart (22, ELC, RFA)
Pouliot (31, 1.1, UFA) - ROR (26, 7.5, 5) - Okposo (29, 6, 5)
Girgensons (23, 1.6, 1/RFA) - Larsson (25, 1.5, 1/RFA) - Pominville (35, 5.6, 1)
Nolan (28, 0.9, UFA) - Josefson (26, 0.7, UFA) - Moulson (34, 5, 1)

Scandella (27, 4, 2) - Risto (23, 5.4, 4)
Beaulieu (24, 2.4, 1/RFA) - Bogosian (27, 5.1, 2)
McCabe (24, 1.6, 1/RFA) - Antipin (24, ELC, RFA)

Lehner (26, 4, RFA)
Johnson (31, 2.5, UFA)

Bigger pieces in the farm of relevance with realistic chance for future NHL jobs in next 2 years:
Casey Mittelstadt
Brandon Guhle
Alex Nylander
Linus Ullmark
Rasmus Asplund
CJ Smith
Justin Bailey
Victor Olofsson
Evan Rodrigues
Nick Baptiste
Hudson Fasching

Cliff Pu
Markus Davidsson
Kyle Criscuolo

Proposed Trades:

Kane to ANA Ducks
for
Maxime Comtois (LW), 3rd round pick (conditional - WCF)

ROR + Baptiste to CAR Hurracanes
for
Zykov (W), Hanifin (D)

Sam Reinhart to BOS Bruins
for
Jeremy Lauzon (D), 2nd round pick, 5th round pick

Alex Nylander, Antipin to TOR Maple Leafs
for
Kapanen (W), Bracco (W), 3rd round pick

Jace McCabe, Okposo (30% retained), Fasching to NYR Rangers
for
Filip Chytil (C/W), Marc Staal (D)

Lehner to PHI Flyers
for
Neuvirth, 3rd round pick

Draft picks by round:
2018: 1-1, 2-2, 3-1, 4-2, 5-2, 6-1, 7-1
2019, 1-1, 2-1, 3-2, 4-1, 5-1, 6-1, 7-1

Until 2019 - accept the suffering and patch the team with young players, AHL-ers and short term vets. Try to obtain a good vet Center through UFA (unlikely many will be tempted to go to Buffalo...)

2018 1st - draft Boqvist. Focus on drafting C and D in 2018 and 2019.

Assumed gone (for late round pick returns or to UFA): Nolan, Moulson, Johnson, Larsson, Pouliot; it's assumed we bury Staal in the minors for last contract year.

Sample lineup 2019-2020:

Comtois - Eichel - Kapanen
CJ Smith - Mittelstadt - Zykov
Chytil - Asplund - Olofsson
Rodrigues - Girgensons - Pominville
Leftovers:
-Bracco
-Pu
-Davidsson
-Criscuolo
-Bailey
-Josefson