Cambridge, MA
It is going to be hilarious

Hearing Jack may put this fan over the edge

SlightLeanCats-size_restricted.gif

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

Apparently, we won't be getting the NBCSCH+ feed from Chicago on NESN+, or anywhere else legally. Red Auerbach and Dit Clapper would be steaming mad. NHLN has other games scheduled for Saturday night...weird, because I figured that an 06 matchup that only happens twice a year in the regular season would be catnip for them. But it is an awkward start time, at 8:30 ET.

We are swapping feeds with Philadelphia, so NESN+ will get the Philly feed for the Philly home game, and they'll get the NESN+ feed for our home game. Be prepared for obnoxious Philly fans to complain about Jack.

NHLN feeds will be blacked out locally, because we should be watching NESN+.

Can't really complain. Of the six games, 3 genuine home-grown productions, 1 online feed, 1 imported TV feed, and 1 game unavailable. You have to have NESN+, but that's not a huge barrier unless you're a college kid in the BU dorms, I think.

I certainly can complain. Every single NFL preseason game is televised, and almost half of those are on a national broadcast. Every single game is streamed via the NFL Game pass. For a "major" league not to have any sort of broadcast for any game at all, is pretty weak sauce. NHL has a lot of catching up to do in terms of marketing its product.

Reactions: Chief Nine and BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Apparently, we won't be getting the NBCSCH+ feed from Chicago on NESN+, or anywhere else legally. Red Auerbach and Dit Clapper would be steaming mad. NHLN has other games scheduled for Saturday night...weird, because I figured that an 06 matchup that only happens twice a year in the regular season would be catnip for them. But it is an awkward start time, at 8:30 ET.

We are swapping feeds with Philadelphia, so NESN+ will get the Philly feed for the Philly home game, and they'll get the NESN+ feed for our home game. Be prepared for obnoxious Philly fans to complain about Jack.

NHLN feeds will be blacked out locally, because we should be watching NESN+.

Can't really complain. Of the six games, 3 genuine home-grown productions, 1 online feed, 1 imported TV feed, and 1 game unavailable. You have to have NESN+, but that's not a huge barrier unless you're a college kid in the BU dorms, I think.

The Red Sox starting at 6 screws up the game in Chicago but NESN Plus is open in that timeslot. NBC Sports Chicago is showing it BUT only NHL Network will have the game in Boston - NBC Chicago most likely has White Sox and Cubs conflicts that day.

BTW how many college kids even have cable in this streaming era.

Reactions: talkinaway

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Did Delaware North have the concessions for the Tsongas Center When they played there.I don't think i have ever seen the bruins come to the Centrum/dcu center for a preseason game.

They did early 2000s I remember driving to one would have been 2002. Bunch of fights is all I remember.

They have no incentive to do this anymore since they can lump these games in with season tickets.

Saw a good amount of preseason in AHL barns in those days remember going to some in upstate NY and PA during college.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
They did early 2000s I remember driving to one would have been 2002. Bunch of fights is all I remember.

They have no incentive to do this anymore since they can lump these games in with season tickets.

Saw a good amount of preseason in AHL barns in those days remember going to some in upstate NY and PA during college.

S_051803MarkTalksToLouie.jpg

Lou Lamoriello killed the AHL in Lowell when he demanded the Lock Monsters be rebranded as the Devils.

Lowell had a huge disadvantage with Tsongas only seating 6500 that unlike Providence, Worcester and Manchester they could not get that big 10,000+ crowd on weekends to offset the middle of the week games. But the Lock Monster brand rivaled the baseball Spinners and it was idiotic to kill it.

Fred Cusick actually called many Lowell games on cable 20 years ago (Brad Park doing color)

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I certainly can complain. Every single NFL preseason game is televised, and almost half of those are on a national broadcast. Every single game is streamed via the NFL Game pass. For a "major" league not to have any sort of broadcast for any game at all, is pretty weak sauce. NHL has a lot of catching up to do in terms of marketing its product.

I go back to what I said in the NJ game day thread- as long as the largest portion of revenue remains game attendance based we're going to see blackouts/lack of coverage. If Bettman can ever get a NFL/NBA/MLB size TV contract this will change but not before.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Understand all of this...but hockey pales in popularity compared with the other three major sports.

Also, I’m pretty sure the NHL Network blacked out the replay of the B’s vs NJ game that was supposed to air yesterday? It was listed on the “guide” but they played the Top 50 players stuff instead. So, I wouldn’t count on any replays of the CHI game.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

I actually remember seeing the PBruins in a preseason game at Stoneham Ice Arena. Maybe cuz the Bruins we're on Providence that night?

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
With regards to every NFL preseason game being televised, that's often because those are the *only* local TV rights NFL teams have the ability to sell (and thus local stations tend to fall all over themselves to get the broadcast rights). Even preseason NFL games can be a ratings driver during rerun season, and they often can assist a station's news crew in getting increased access during the regular season.

The NHL/NBA (and MLB) preseason games are usually an add-on to the RSN, are often conflicting with regular season games in other sports (especially the Red Sox for Bruins preseason), and draw comparably little viewership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad