TSN: UPDATED 9/15 - TSN will air Habs regional games on TSN2

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Bah.

I would have stuck with RDS anyway. That's the thing with Montreal, it's huge in term of market but the English rights are just not worth it for broadcasters with RDS being so dominant. Even Anglos watch on RDS which reduces English ratings to almost nothing. RDS is paying over $65M a year for the rights and I bet TSN is not even paying 20% of that.

Also I'm not surprised they are putting the Habs on TSN2 and leave the Sens to the main eastern feed (TSN5)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
TSN's John Bartlett joins us to talk about his new role as the regional TV voice of the Canadiens. He also looks at how they'll do in 2017-2018.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/bartlett-habs-will-be-in-battle-for-playoff-spot-1.857905

I'm not too crazy about Bartlett. He was one of the reasons I was happy regional rights went to TSN. There is something about his voice that annoys me. I don't know how to describe it other than nasally a la Ray Romano and Kermit the Frog.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Bah.

I would have stuck with RDS anyway. That's the thing with Montreal, it's huge in term of market but the English rights are just not worth it for broadcasters with RDS being so dominant. Even Anglos watch on RDS which reduces English ratings to almost nothing. RDS is paying over $65M a year for the rights and I bet TSN is not even paying 20% of that.

Also I'm not surprised they are putting the Habs on TSN2 and leave the Sens to the main eastern feed (TSN5)

I'm with Bell satellite and I just noticed I don't even have TSN2. :rant: I have TSN1, TSN3, TSN4, and TSN5 but no TSN2. Looks like I'll have to call Bell to find out why I don't have TSN2. :dunno: I'm in Atlantic Canada.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Just checked into my Bell programming and it looks like I'll either have to bump up to the next package for $20+ dollars more per month or add TSN2 only for $7.

I take back all the bad things I've ever said about Sportsnet's hockey coverage. At least I could watch the regional Hab games without having to pay extra.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Whats the best way to find out if im in thr Habs broadcast region. Im planning on getting tsn2. Live just outside of Belleville

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Just checked into my Bell programming and it looks like I'll either have to bump up to the next package for $20+ dollars more per month or add TSN2 only for $7.

I take back all the bad things I've ever said about Sportsnet's hockey coverage. At least I could watch the regional Hab games without having to pay extra.

That's pretty ridiculous, I get all of the TSN channels and SN channels as part of my sports package from Eastlink. Since its a bell channel you would think Bell would have it in your package.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Actually, I'm in Atlantic Canada and couldn't watch most weekday games on Gamecenter last year because, well, Rogers wanted us to also pay for cable. I figured since it's not Rogers SNE showing the games anymore that it might change things. I was hoping anyway.

Oh, I just assumed you were out of market. When I try to watch the local team on center ice, it's always blacked out and I have to tune in to the local channel.

I assume that's the way game center works except there is no "local channel". In your case, I doubt anything changes regarding gamecenter and the habs.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
If you get TSN2 in British Columbia, do you get Hab games without blackouts? Asking for a friend

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
The guy who did play-by-play for Habs regional games on Sportsnet. Now that the rights went back to TSN, he left Sportsnet and got hired by TSN.

I didn't realize that was him. This is pretty disappointing as I was really hoping for someone better with this change.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
If you get TSN2 in British Columbia, do you get Hab games without blackouts? Asking for a friend

It will be blacked out. He will only be able to view the national games, and tsn doesn't have the rights to telecast those.

Only way to lift the tsn2 blackout is to order CI

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
TSN will use RDS cameras during the game but insert English graphics and have a couple of cameras dedicated for English.

Bottom line is Bell only needs to use one truck for both channels.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
That's pretty ridiculous, I get all of the TSN channels and SN channels as part of my sports package from Eastlink. Since its a bell channel you would think Bell would have it in your package.

I think so as well. I can still get all the regional Sens games on TSN5 which is included in my current package but if I want Hab games I need to upgrade my package or pay an extra $7 a month for TSN2.

I guess TSN2 is BHell's equivalent to the extra Sportsnet One channel offered by Rogers which is separate from the regular Sportsnet East, Central, West, and Pacific channels.

Still sucks since it seems like I will have to pay extra to get Hab games but will still get Sens games without having to pay extra. Hab games must be considered premium games compared to Sens games since TSN2 is advertised as a premium channel by BHell. :dunno:

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009
I'm not too crazy about Bartlett. He was one of the reasons I was happy regional rights went to TSN. There is something about his voice that annoys me. I don't know how to describe it other than nasally a la Ray Romano and Kermit the Frog.

that's extremely disappointing. Might as well still be on sportsnet. Bartlett is trash.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Whats the best way to find out if im in thr Habs broadcast region. Im planning on getting tsn2. Live just outside of Belleville

Have you been getting the Sens games on TSN5 last season? The Habs region is the same as the Sens, so if you're getting one you should get the other. Also if you got Habs games on Sportsnet East last season, then same thing. If you're east of Belleville then you should be good, if you're west then probably not good and if you're north or south, then no idea! I don't know if there's anywhere you can plug in your address and see what region you're in.

So what channel are the national games on? CBC?

CBC and Sportsnet, potentially Citytv too.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Have you been getting the Sens games on TSN5 last season? The Habs region is the same as the Sens, so if you're getting one you should get the other. Also if you got Habs games on Sportsnet East last season, then same thing. If you're east of Belleville then you should be good, if you're west then probably not good and if you're north or south, then no idea! I don't know if there's anywhere you can plug in your address and see what region you're in.

CBC and Sportsnet, potentially Citytv too.

Thanks!

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
It will be blacked out. He will only be able to view the national games, and tsn doesn't have the rights to telecast those.

Only way to lift the tsn2 blackout is to order CI

Thanks, my friend Kodi appreciates the info.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
The only problem my friend Kodi has is that his Bud light glasses light up and tip him off way before he sees it on TV.

your friend kodi is past his prime.

i know a cast that streams allowing kodi to go bye bye....

Hmmm, you all know my friend. I've had good luck with Terrillium, and a host of other IPTV sources.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad