Confirmed with Link: UPDATED 7/6 - Bourque admits to 'sufficient facts' in drunken driving case

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
In my late teens and 20's I did drink and drive as did most of my peers. There was more than one time I woke up the next morning and had no recollection of driving home and yet car was parked perfectly.

I grew out of that phase and then my job brought me to Florida in 1991 where I lasted one summer. I can tell you at 2 AM in Pinellas County (St Petersburg) half the drivers on the road should be arrested. There are no buses or cabs there so people drive. The kicker for me was one night I got a ticket from the Largo, Florida police FOR WALKING HOME - The bar was 1/2 mile from where I lived but many parts of Florida don't have sidewalks. The Judge in Clearwater dismissed the ticket but told me in the future just drive home if it is only a few blocks. :amazed:

Ask any bartender or waitress what is the hardest part of their job and most will say cutting off somebody who may have had too much to drink. Compound that with the way the brain reacts - in most cases a person with a few pops will say 'I'm fine'.

With the technology we have today I would be in favor of an ignition interlock in all cars that you have to breathe into to start the car.

We are all human - and we all make mistakes.

In my observations,I see bar parking lots full and then empty.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
One study showed DUIs are down by 28% nationally but distracted driving accidents are up by 650%.

yeah

because of texting and driving

which is also stupid

and isn't the same as talking and driving

As far as your "I see bar parking lots full and then empty"....well yeah, most people are pretty responsible and know how much is too much and can go to a bar without operating under the influence. Or they have a DD. Shocking stuff I know.

But keep rationalizing away

And again, there sure seems to be a lot of stories about people who are cared about getting killed in DUI crashes. Not so much with the talking on the phone stuff. Weird.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
yeah

because of texting and driving

which is also stupid

and isn't the same as talking and driving

As far as your "I see bar parking lots full and then empty"....well yeah, most people are pretty responsible and know how much is too much and can go to a bar without operating under the influence. Or they have a DD. Shocking stuff I know.

But keep rationalizing away

And again, there sure seems to be a lot of stories about people who are cared about getting killed in DUI crashes. Not so much with the talking on the phone stuff. Weird.

There is only 1 of us rationalizing here and it ain't me. You keep rejecting the "talking on a cellphone" for "texting" when it's exactly what I said and posted and was studied. As far as 50 cars having 25 designated drivers-uh huh. You can't be serious. Please respond after you read the studies I posted,otherwise you'll keep posting nonsense.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
He was born in Canada and is obviously a citizen, so I doubt it, but I also don't know how that works.

ya you're right, I think its for americans who get a felony DUI.

I could see Ray pleaing down to reckless endangerment, which is what I think many DUI's plea down to on a first offence. However causing an accident is pretty big I assume.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
There is only 1 of us rationalizing here and it ain't me. You keep rejecting the "talking on a cellphone" for "texting" when it's exactly what I said and posted and was studied. As far as 50 cars having 25 designated drivers-uh huh. You can't be serious. Please respond after you read the studies I posted,otherwise you'll keep posting nonsense.

So a few people drive drunk out of those bars. They are idiots too. Hence my usage of "most people"

And I stopped reading your study when i saw it was talking about the baseline at .08. That's not reality. Believe it or not you can be more impaired than that...shocking I know.

And you said distracted driving accidents are up 650%. I'd imagine that's mostly from the advent of texting.

And again...I'm not rationalizing anything. I don't do any of those things. You are the one however blowing it off as everybody does it and painting with a broad brush.

And again you can't dispute this- lotta people with stories of loved ones getting hurt or killed in DUI accidents, not so much with phone accidents.

Only one posting nonsense here is you. Sorry.

Last edited:

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
"Everyone has done it."

No, we haven't. I can't drive a car due to my disability, and don't drink at all due to a combination of health issues and simply not enjoying feeling what little control I have over my own body becoming impaired.

Parents? Never drank. At all.

Brothers? Used to get smashed as teens, but were smart enough to do it at a camp site. No drinking on the way there, no driving back until it was slept off. And they only did that a handful of times. Why? Because getting stupid drunk wasn't actually fun. Neither drink at all now.

I don't know. I've never understood the necessity of having a wine or beer with dinner, or to relax, or to have fun. My family has simply never been that way, I've never been raised around that, so the normalization of such activity is just alien to me.

Ultimately, no one here is saying that Ray should be tarred and feathered for his actions. What people are saying is that he made a series of bad, disappointing choices, choices that he should know better than to make. And that as a visible member/role model in the community, he should be cognizant that his actions have consequences that extend farther than just himself.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
So a few people drive drunk out of those bars. They are idiots too. Hence my usage of "most people"

And I stopped reading your study when i saw it was talking about the baseline at .08. That's not reality. Believe it or not you can be more impaired than that...shocking I know.

And you said distracted driving accidents are up 650%. I'd imagine that's from texting.

And again...I'm not rationalizing anything. I don't do any of those things. You are the one however blowing it off as everybody does it and painting with a broad brush.

And again you can't dispute this- lotta people with stories of loved ones getting hurt or killed in DUI accidents, not so much with phone accidents.

Once again,you'd be wrong.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
"Everyone has done it."

No, we haven't. I can't drive a car due to my disability, and don't drink at all due to a combination of health issues and simply not enjoying feeling what little control I have over my own body becoming impaired.

Parents? Never drank. At all.

Brothers? Used to get smashed as teens, but were smart enough to do it at a camp site. No drinking on the way there, no driving back until it was slept off. And they only did that a handful of times. Why? Because getting stupid drunk wasn't actually fun. Neither drink at all now.

I don't know. I've never understood the necessity of having a wine or beer with dinner, or to relax, or to have fun. My family has simply never been that way, I've never been raised around that, so the normalization of such activity is just alien to me.

Ultimately, no one here is saying that Ray should be tarred and feathered for his actions. What people are saying is that he made a series of bad, disappointing choices, choices that he should know better than to make. And that as a visible member/role model in the community, he should be cognizant that his actions have consequences that extend farther than just himself.

I'm afraid you missed the part where "everyone that I know that drinks has done it." Of course if you don't drink,there is no opportunity.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm afraid you missed the part where "everyone that I know that drinks has done it." Of course if you don't drink,there is no opportunity.

I drink pretty frequently and I have never driven drunk.

And I also don't use my phone while driving.

And I also didn't get drunk and crash into somebody else

Can I call him an idiot for being an idiot now? You done?

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Texting and driving is as stupid as drinking and driving. Both can be avoided. Both shouldn't be done.

What needs to be rationalized here?

Don't do it. Simple.

But like others said, it happens all the time. Guy behind me was facetiming last night and girl in front of me texting. I see it all the time. That distraction could kill someone just as easily as drinking and driving.

Cars could all have the ignition locks, how do you prevent people from cell phone use?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I drink pretty frequently and I have never driven drunk.

And I also don't use my phone while driving.

And I also didn't get drunk and crash into somebody else

Can I call him an idiot for being an idiot now? You done?

Sorry,but I don't believe you have never driven within 2 hours of 1 drink and I don't believe you've never talked on a phone while driving. But I am done.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sorry,but I don't believe you have never driven within 2 hours of 1 drink and I don't believe you've never talked on a phone while driving. But I am done.

I have never driven drunk. Sorry :)

And I used a Bluetooth for my old job for a couple of years...never came close to an accident. Also it wasn't blatantly illegal.

Just a fact. I guess if it makes you feel better at night....

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Post me the actual study please, I'm not sifting through your garbage that sets the baseline at .08 as if everybody who drives drunk is at that.

Remain uninformed,I posted 3,you read only 1 and rejected it because you want the number higher than .08. It's garbage because it doesn't support your beliefs. Do your own due diligence. Get informed.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I have never driven drunk. Sorry :)

And I used a Bluetooth for my old job for a couple of years...never came close to an accident. Also it wasn't blatantly illegal.

Just a fact. I guess if it makes you feel better at night....

They know that handless cellphone use is as dangerous as DUI.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Remain uninformed,I posted 3,you read only 1 and rejected it because you want the number higher than .08. It's garbage because it doesn't support your beliefs. Do your own due diligence. Get informed.

I read the actual study until I saw its flawed baseline, I'm not going to watch ****ing myth busters, and I read your business insider one and didn't see 650% increase due to talking on the phone (your words were distracted driving btw, that definitely includes texting). Specify it plz if not I'm assuming it's garbage

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They know that handless cellphone use is as dangerous as DUI.

Maybe at .08

But again, not everybody falls at that. As a matter of fact I would say most people that get caught are over that. Shocker I know. It crazy that somebody can blow more than a .08

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I read the actual study, I'm not going to watch ****ing myth busters, and I read your business insider one and didn't see 650% increase due to talking on the phone (your words were distracted driving btw, that definitely includes texting). Specify it plz if not I'm assuming it's garbage

If you want the truth,you'll find it. I'm letting you know that as of now,you don't have it. Do you really want it? Get it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If you want the truth,you'll find it. I'm letting you know that as of now,you don't have it. Do you really want it? Get it.

And there you have it folks :laugh:

And I'll leave on this note (again)- seems like many know people who were killed by drunk drivers. Not many know anybody who was killed by bluetoothers

And to clarify (again) I don't think Bourque is necessarily a bad guy. He just did a dumb thing and deserves to be held accountable. Part of that is being called a dumbass. It doesn't matter if it was him or if it was my brother doing it....it's a stupid thing to do, especially when you have money

Good day.

Last edited:

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH

The only time I owned a cell phone was back when I worked the overnight shift at a rehab for brain injured clients (to which several of them were there, unfortunately, due to drunk drivers). It was for emergency purposes only- I never used it for personal use at home, as I used my home phone. My kids knew to call me only when it was important- as in, an emergency situation. I NEVER drove and talked or texted. Does that answer your ridiculous question? by the way, after I left the rehab, I ditched the phone. You see, I believe in talking to people in person! I hate the damn things. I see families eating out all the time, not interacting, because they're all texting. Friends at the beach barely talk to each other, because they're texting others not at the beach with them. I hate the things myself, but I can see the use of them for emergency purposes, or for folks who like to take pictures for memories sake. Anyhow, this topic is not about damn cell phones, so why is this even being discussed? Who are YOU to accuse people of lying, when they tell you repeatedly that they have not drove while drunk, that they have not texted while driving?

Just because YOU do these things, doesn't make it ok for everyone else. Clearly, you think people who do things repeatedly like this are just "making a mistake, they're human, after all!" This is the mentality that scares me. No personal accountability, no remorse. You could give a rat's butt that others lost loved ones and friends to such accidents. All you care about is accusing others who have never done it in their lives and calling them liars and defending those who do it, whether it's a one time thing, or over and over again. I pray you never are responsible for such an accident in your lifetime, not only for any future victims, but for the fact that you might one day wake up with a guilty conscience and remember this conversation on here. I would like to think that others who shared stories affected people like you, but clearly, you could care less that any of their family members and friends are in cold graves- ever tried talking to a loved one's headstone? Bring flowers to them, thinking, "what if they had been home that night, or went a different way home, would they still be with us today?"

I guess, though, that none of that matters to you. It's clear you simply don't care at all.

Do you drink and drive often? Do you talk and text on your cell phone daily? Is this why you are defending others staunchly that do, because you do this as well?

Last edited:

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH

You brought this up as one of your defenses of drunk driving. Put your money where your mouth is, or don't bring it up at all. Years ago on here, you couldn't make a claim like that without providing a link to such a thing. Especially where you're the one arguing with people and accusing them of doing things they have told you over and over again that they have not done. Prove it, or don't discuss the report without a back up link to prove your statement. If you found the link before, it should be easy enough for you to provide it!

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Even if you take the stance that "everyone does it" (which is an absurd notion, by the way), it doesn't make it OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->