News Article: UPDATE POST #58: Growlers Announce Agreement in Principle for a 10-year Lease Extension

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I'm interested in the opinions of Newfs like yourself.

The "news article" is not actually a news article in any sense of the word, but a manifesto drawn by the owner for maximum theatrical effect with the Leafs in town for training camp and the Sens coming for a pre-season game on the same day as the press conference. Maximum torque on this one.

All that sheds no light on the substance of the lease dispute, but I'm pretty sure the locals already have a good grasp of how things lie, and I would very much appreciate their thoughts on that.

I do find the cost of travel to Newfoubland astonishing. I've visited North Sydney, Nova Scotia, where my wife's family lives, dozens of time but have never gone to Newfoundland for want of time. This time we enquired about the cost of the ferry -- it was in excess of $500 return for four passengers with an automobile from North Sydney to Port-aux-Basques. More than double that to Argentia. I see there is a seasonal discount, but I was astonished and asked if Newfoundlanders would at least get a discounted fare and the answer is no. I found it all very steep and wondered how Newfoundlanders could afford such travel.

This would surely be an issue for a lower-level minor-league pro team that isn't made of money where bus travel is the norm.

You're 100% correct on the lease dispute. It's the owner drumming up some media attention against the city, although he's not wrong. The lease cost has hindered his ability to make a profit for sure. This team won the championship in their first season, and it's not a secret that attendance was rather high for every game.

The costs here in Newfoundland are felt every day by those of us who live here. It's not just leaving the island that's expensive, it's importing things as well. Just as an example, it's close enough in price for us to fly to Halifax and rent a car for a week then it is to drive across the Island to Port Aux Basques (about a 6 hour drive from where I am in Gander), and then get on a ferry in usually rough seas for a 6 hour ride. It's expensive here. When oil was $100 a barrel, most of the Island didn't really feel the effects of the associated costs, now nearly everyone is.

Noticed a poster above talking from flying from Toronto - Orlando or Toronto - St. John's and he's correct. It's cheaper to fly to Orlando than it is to fly to anywhere in Newfoundland, so think about commercial flights for vising hockey teams. It's not a cheap trip.

Take all those associated costs and then the city is asking for even more money to lease the stadium, when you have a championship team losing money as it is. It's the case of a council that sees a successful tenant, and asks for even more, eventually driving them away.

It's disheartening because the love of hockey in the province could rival anywhere in the world. We are a passionate fan base and embrace pro hockey (even when the Ice Caps were the Habs farm team :help:)
but politics along with location will always play a factor and likely cost us another pro team.

BTW if you ever get a chance to visit, come during the last 2 weeks of July or the first 2 weeks of August. That's basically our summer. The rest of the year is filled with fog, rain, or snow for the most part. Spend a couple of days in St. John's but then get out of there. The rest of the province has so much to offer. Let me know if you ever need any recommendations!

Last edited:

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Hate to say it but the last 5o0-600 clicks from Orlando down to Miami is a killer. You arrived in Florida but you are still a hellva long ways from the rink. Kinda like driving to Hali you get to NB and you think ok I am in east coast but no way you only half way baby.

Uhh Solar Bears were in Orlando were they not?

Also Orlando to Miami is 380 km not 600

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Would they fly or bus? It beats me, but I've never heard of teams at this level do too much flying.
Newfie is an island in the Atlantic Ocean. It is a 6 hour expensive ferry ride to get off island and then like a 30+ hour bus ride to get to play the Everblades in the swamp in Florida. The team flies the kids. It is cheaper.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You're 100% correct on the lease dispute. It's the owner drumming up some media attention against the city, although he's not wrong. The lease cost has hindered his ability to make a profit for sure. This team won the championship in their first season, and it's not a secret that attendance was rather high for every game.

The costs here in Newfoundland are felt every day by those of us who live here. It's not just leaving the island that's expensive, it's importing things as well. Just as an example, it's close enough in price for us to fly to Halifax and rent a car for a week then it is to drive across the Island to Port Aux Basques (about a 6 hour drive from where I am in Gander), and then get on a ferry in usually rough seas for a 6 hour ride. It's expensive here. When oil was $100 a barrel, most of the Island didn't really feel the effects of the associated costs, now nearly everyone is.

Noticed a poster above talking from flying from Toronto - Orlando or Toronto - St. John's and he's correct. It's cheaper for fly to Orlando than it is to fly to anywhere in Newfoundland, so think about commercial flights for vising hockey teams. It's not a cheap trip.

Take all those associated costs and then the city is asking for even more money to lease the stadium, when you have a championship team losing money as it is. It's the case of a council that sees a successful tenant, and asks for even more, eventually driving them away.

It's disheartening because the love of hockey in the province could rival anywhere in the world. We are a passionate fan base and embrace pro hockey (even when the Ice Caps were the Habs farm team :help:)
but politics along with location will always play a factor and likely cost us another pro team.

BTW if you ever get a chance to visit, come during the last 2 weeks of July or the first 2 weeks of August. That's basically our summer. The rest of the year is filled with fog, rain, or snow for the most part. Spend a couple of days in St. John's but then get out of there. The rest of the province has so much to offer. Let me know if you ever need any recommendations!
Love going ... couple times for business and a few times last year to watch games. The finals were amazing. Hope owner can keep team there. I can see the love for the team and kids. Keep up the good fight. It’s a mauzy day until this gets resolved.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Newfie is an island in the Atlantic Ocean. It is a 6 hour expensive ferry ride to get off island and then like a 30+ hour bus ride to get to play the Everblades in the swamp in Florida. The team flies the kids. It is cheaper.
YYZ or YTO to MCO is a hell of a lot cheaper than YYZ-YYT

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yep great news! Hopefully lots of kids can graduate from Growlers to Marlies. We will see pretty soon. Well done Dean! Good call to work something out there. I'm sure it was hard but the right thing to do.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Lol, I'm literally from St. John's. I knew the details.

Just use better sources. Not just relating to this, but in general, that's an awful website.
okay. It just seemed to have a good amount of the relevant details. I don't ever really go that site for anything, more of a twitter guy.

Iceguy24

Feb 3, 2009
Newmarket, ON
Much as I do like the idea of the Growlers staying put, I bet the arena the Newmarket Saints used to play in would make a decent destination if things can't be worked out.
Moot point now that there's a 10-year lease extension in place to stay put in St. John's. As much as I'd like Newmarket as a Plan B option I'm not sure it would be sustainable. Newmarket's OJHL (Ontario Junior "A") hockey team just relocated to Milton and Orangeville's OJHL team relocated to Brampton last season. I like Newmarket's proximity to Toronto but attendance would be a big issue.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I always thought Brampton was the logical choice but I have no idea how one would deal with the Montreal affiliation etc.
If it were to happen, they'd be right up the road, and the team might still be in Brampton beyond a few years from now.
The main pad they play on is TERRIBLE, but selfishly, I'd like them to move to Brampton.

Reactions: jackflash

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto to St John's is ~2100km in a straight line
Toronto to Orlando it's ~1700km

it's even worse driving as the route is ~3100km to St John's and 2100km to Orlando.

QTY of flights between destinations is all that matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad