News Article: UPDATE POST #58: Growlers Announce Agreement in Principle for a 10-year Lease Extension

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Does it really matter where our D-level players play?

If you don't care, don't comment. Stick to the Leafs.

And to answer your question, yes it matters quite a bit. Proximity makes it easier for call-ups and if we are planning on using it as a development system, which we are, then it is also easier to monitor their progress. Considering we are going to have at least one top 10 prospect there next year (Woll/Scott), plus various other AHL contract prospects (which could easily include the likes of Brazeau, who could be a legit player someday), then this is not nothing.

Reactions: qqaz

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

I cared enough to ask a question, which you also answered...

:laugh:

And to answer your question, yes it matters quite a bit. Proximity makes it easier for call-ups and if we are planning on using it as a development system, which we are, then it is also easier to monitor their progress. Considering we are going to have at least one top 10 prospect there next year (Woll/Scott), plus various other AHL contract prospects (which could easily include the likes of Brazeau, who could be a legit player someday), then this is not nothing.

So if proximity matters, then we should be happy our D-level prospects are moving away from the Maritimes, yes?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

There are a ton of places you can put an ECHL team that are significantly closer than Newfoundland. It's still a two-hour flight.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
They should put it in Virginia as Norfolk Admirals are without an NHL affiliation. I could easily see them play!

Last edited:

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
the Newfoundland Growler have informed NHLTradeRumors that a Press Conference will be held Tuesday to announce the unfortunate outcome of their lease dispute with the city of St.John's.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Would suck if true. St. John's deserves a major-pro sports team, but the problem with it is how deserted St. John's is...

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Proximity would not be a reason for being in St John's lol.

Orlando (our previous ECHL location) is literally closer to Toronto than St John's. I'm not even making that up.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Proximity would not be a reason for being in St John's lol.

Orlando (our previous ECHL location) is literally closer to Toronto than St John's. I'm not even making that up.

Ever booked yourself a flight to Florida?

How about a flight to Newfoundland? Or anywhere domestic in Canada for that matter?

Yeah..

Reactions: Prominence

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I hate politicians. Almost as much as greedy business owners. Not that all business owners are greedy, but this does have a stink of the situation in Calgary. I don't know who is to blame in a situation like this but the writer seems to be dumping it on the local politicians without really giving details. I wonder if the Growlers are being taxed to death or if its that the owners see more $$ potential if they get more breaks. I'm sure they will appreciate the "anyone but" campaign with local politics. I wish Hamilton would adopt that theory with our city councilors.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
First it expensive travel for any team located on the Rock. All that travel is a hinderance to a players and team development also. Not saying that these ECHL players have much chance of being NHLers, but have a the Growlers in St John's is a not really beneficial to the Leafs or MLSE.

Hate to upset anyone on the East Coast but for hockey purposes, having the farm teams closer to the parent team is better.

But I'm hoping the Growlers can stay in St John's.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Much as I do like the idea of the Growlers staying put, I bet the arena the Newmarket Saints used to play in would make a decent destination if things can't be worked out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad