News Article: UPDATE (suspended until 1/2/20): Blackhawks investigating allegations against Marc Crawford

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Look...there are obvious lines that should never be crossed by coaches ....physical abuse of a player of course must not take place...Racial or ethnic slurs too must never be uttered by coaches...BUT verbal abuse for lousy play...when players dog it or keep making the same stupidxerrors or cannot buy in to a system...YES a coach has every right to slam verbally such lax/refuse to work forca full 60/ or cannot buy in to the system players.. COACHES SHOULD yell at such guys till they wake up and do what he wants on the ice...no coach should suffer prima Donna's who think they know how to pjay the game better ...especially when their actions or lack of on the ice are a problem for team winning.

If such players cannot take criticism or consider a coach chewing the out as "verbal and mental abuse" and go crying to Bettman or a Human Rights Comisdion...then we fans have lost the spirit we love to spoiled brats who are so mentally soft they cannot take what has gone on in sports from coaches and fans of the team they play for who are disgustedxwoth their lack of brlngong an A game o a consistent basosxznd for full 6o efforts most games

Coaches should demand excellence...fans expect at lrsstxtgexapoearance of a full 60 yet and focus ...If players want to hide behind fat guaranteed contracts with NMC protections, to get away with such cheating what they were paid so handsomely for,then you betcha coaches AND fans have every right to verbally abuse them till they start playing to the level of their pay checks.

There must t be a boss ...the coach...there must be accountability...to their coach,their team,and to the fans who invest money and tone to watch the team.

Aside from the redline exceptions on such verbal abuse...all the rest of it is justified when the pkayer deserves to be chewed out.. And the language could be salty the exceptions being racial or ethnic slurs or physical abuse.

Apart from those 2 items Bettman should concern himself more with the frauds going on in some markets where fans have been bamboozled into believing there is parity and that their bottom feeder team actually has more than justxa couple ofvlegit nhl calibre players who can compete in a game.

The fraud going on in ChocGo and NJ ...just to name 2 cases of uncompetitive teams pretendingvtheyvare NHL calibre squads Why Isn't Bettman more concerned about these glaring frauds going on?

Instead we gotta investigate incidents from many years ago when the culture and socio-political correctness parameters have changed a lot since those incidents took place.

Not saying what wS done years ago by coaches was justified even then... it rather saying there are more glaring issues to be looked at NOW I involving competitiveness of some teams ...The League trumpets parity..but the facts are that some teams just have no chance..just cannot compete to the level required for even a 50-50 chance at victory most nights..

Fans expect certain standards of play...when this standard fails to show up night after night ....game after game...the fans are getting duped...suckered in by the NHL expecting gMes actually will be a "contest".

Reactions: forecheck

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Just read that article, and I have to disagree with Lehner on a few points.

I agree with his assessment that shit has changed and what society will accept from an individual's behavior has as well. But he keeps acting as if Peters should get a second chance at some point provided he made an apology, which is bullshit.

Peters' apology was crap (the one that he wrote out recently, not his non-apology a decade ago) and reeked of trying to save face. It's not like he called up AA a few years ago, apologized sincerely, and has changed his ways. Instead he was spending that time kicking Canes players on the bench.

Some here might know the story of James Gunn. Gunn wrote and directed the first two Guardians of the Galaxy movies and was set to write and direct the third iteration before cancel culture hit him and Disney fired him from his directorial duties for some f***ed up tweets he wrote and publicly apologized for, years before. And because he called himself out for the shit before he ever got in trouble for it, when he apologized after being let go, it was sincere and a year or so after being fired, Disney reversed course and hired him back.

Marc Crawford has absolutely had his issues, but he's publicly acknowledged that he's changed well before he became under investigation by the Hawks; which is a huge difference over Peters.

Also, he both sides'd MSNBC and Fox News, which is certainly an opinion I'm not in agreement with.

All in all though, I agree with what he's saying. People live long lives and a lot of times, an individual will continue to mature and change into a better human being who shouldn't have their lives ruined for their past indiscretions. But that requires said individual to show that they have improved, which is certainly not the case for someone like Bill Peters.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Just read that article, and I have to disagree with Lehner on a few points.

I agree with his assessment that **** has changed and what society will accept from an individual's behavior has as well. But he keeps acting as if Peters should get a second chance at some point provided he made an apology, which is bull****.

Peters' apology was crap (the one that he wrote out recently, not his non-apology a decade ago) and reeked of trying to save face. It's not like he called up AA a few years ago, apologized sincerely, and has changed his ways. Instead he was spending that time kicking Canes players on the bench.

Some here might know the story of James Gunn. Gunn wrote and directed the first two Guardians of the Galaxy movies and was set to write and direct the third iteration before cancel culture hit him and Disney fired him from his directorial duties for some ****ed up tweets he wrote and publicly apologized for, years before. And because he called himself out for the **** before he ever got in trouble for it, when he apologized after being let go, it was sincere and a year or so after being fired, Disney reversed course and hired him back.

Marc Crawford has absolutely had his issues, but he's publicly acknowledged that he's changed well before he became under investigation by the Hawks; which is a huge difference over Peters.

Also, he both sides'd MSNBC and Fox News, which is certainly an opinion I'm not in agreement with.

All in all though, I agree with what he's saying. People live long lives and a lot of times, an individual will continue to mature and change into a better human being who shouldn't have their lives ruined for their past indiscretions. But that requires said individual to show that they have improved, which is certainly not the case for someone like Bill Peters.

100%. Glossing over the contrition stage.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I appreciate that Lehner isn't shy about talking to the press. However, I don't necessarily share all the same opinions of his nor do I think he speaks for hockey.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
There’s a significant overlap between deceitful people and people who always say the right things. That’s what bothers me about cancel culture and makes wonder where it originated. It’s also why I like Lehner for being so real. He seems like a genuinely good person. He knows the petty stuff does not matter. I also understand where he is coming from on wanting to give everyone a second chance. In this particular case with Aliu, the n-word thing barely registered with me. I heard Aliu saying he wasn’t given a fair shake and believe him. A second chance to someone who said the n-word in the locker room is not the same as someone who is prejudice and treats people unfairly. Maybe he can be a scout or something, wouldn’t want him in the Hawks organization though, but he should not be in a position of authority over other people anymore IMO.

Reactions: Cowch

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
There’s a significant overlap between deceitful people and people who always say the right things. That’s what bothers me about cancel culture and makes wonder where it originated. It’s also why I like Lehner for being so real. He seems like a genuinely good person. He knows the petty stuff does not matter. I also understand where he is coming from on wanting to give everyone a second chance. In this particular case with Aliu, the n-word thing barely registered with me. I heard Aliu saying he wasn’t given a fair shake and believe him. A second chance to someone who said the n-word in the locker room is not the same as someone who is prejudice and treats people unfairly. Maybe he can be a scout or something, wouldn’t want him in the Hawks organization though, but he should not be in a position of authority over other people anymore IMO.

That's absurd. Aliu wasn't good enough. Period. His career proves that.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Idk. I love Lehner's comments about games.

But I didn't like this. I felt like I was reading the same thing over and over again. "I got a second chance, so everyone else should"

Their second chances were getting hired time after time and now they're facing consequences. Tough shit.

Reactions: Drumman44

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
That's absurd. Aliu wasn't good enough. Period. His career proves that.

I’m not saying he would have been an NHLer. I just don’t believe Peters did everything he could to help him. I’m more inclined to believe he was sent to the ECHL at that time because Peters didn’t like him and wanted to get rid of him.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I’m not saying he would have been an NHLer. I just don’t believe Peters did everything he could to help him. I’m more inclined to believe he was sent to the ECHL at that time because Peters didn’t like him and wanted to get rid of him.

Well, no coaches liked him. He has had issues all across his hockey career. So I'm not sure what your point is. He wasn't a very good hockey player, and he was a head case. Maybe the organization wasn't thrilled with his antics in camp....

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Well, no coaches liked him. He has had issues all across his hockey career. So I'm not sure what your point is. He wasn't a very good hockey player, and he was a head case. Maybe the organization wasn't thrilled with his antics in camp....

I stated my point. Peters shouldn’t be in a position of authority anymore IMO. Kicking his players in Carolina proves it too. If Aliu is a bad guy, that’s fine. This is about Peters getting a second chance at coaching.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I stated my point. Peters shouldn’t be in a position of authority anymore IMO. Kicking his players in Carolina proves it too. If Aliu is a bad guy, that’s fine. This is about Peters getting a second chance at coaching.

I agree with you. I just don't think one thing had anything to do with the other.

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
The last thing I want is lehner to get wrapped up in PC issues the league is dealing with. I'm happy he isnt afraid to say these things, but f*** laz for publishing all of this if it jettisons lehner into any negative spotlight.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
The last thing I want is lehner to get wrapped up in PC issues the league is dealing with. I'm happy he isnt afraid to say these things, but **** laz for publishing all of this if it jettisons lehner into any negative spotlight.
Cant get mad at a journalist for doing his job.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It probably doesn't help that I don't like much of what Laz says. I just saw Robin's own tweets on wanting to say these things, which I can only hope wont blow up in his face.
Lehner will be fine. Nothing he said here will destroy his career and/or image. Most will forget about this interview in a month.

But he's a grown ass man. Even if this was Laz's idea (it wasn't) Lehner didn't need to do the interview if he thought he'd suffer repercussions from it (which again, he won't).

Reactions: Cowch

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
Lehner will be fine. Nothing he said here will destroy his career and/or image. Most will forget about this interview in a month.

But he's a grown ass man. Even if this was Laz's idea (it wasn't) Lehner didn't need to do the interview if he thought he'd suffer repercussions from it (which again, he won't).
Guess that depends on who sees what he says and what they make of it. The current climate of the internet is akin to blowing things up in a negative light. I do, however, see my error in blaming laz.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Guess that depends on who sees what he says and what they make of it. The current climate of the internet is akin to blowing things up in a negative light. I do, however, see my error in blaming laz.
It doesn't matter who sees it though, unless Rocky hates people getting 2nd chances in life.

Lehner said something some won't agree with, but nothing that can be really deemed as controversial. I assure you that I'm in more of a disagreement over his comments than most anybody who'll read it, and yet his opinion doesn't provoke more than a shoulder shrug and a "sorry, I don't really agree with some of this" sorta attitude.

People blew things up decades before the internet. Harry Potter books were set ablaze during the age of dial-up. Rock and Roll was heavily chastised as works of the devil (and not just the hardcore stuff either, but something as simple as Elvis). None of this is anything new, outside of it being a bit more convenient to air your grievances and the fact that it's easier to hear about what people have recently coined as "cancel culture" (the internet is an easier way to receive news than TV, radio, and newspapers).

But again, nobody has the time to bitch and complain about what Lehner said. Maybe a few dissatisfied tweets, but considering how many tweets there are every second, it's small potatoes.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The last thing I want is lehner to get wrapped up in PC issues the league is dealing with. I'm happy he isnt afraid to say these things, but **** laz for publishing all of this if it jettisons lehner into any negative spotlight.

f*** Laz? Haha, no.

I criticize Laz a lot, but Laz is not at fault in any way here. Lehner knowingly talked to Laz on the record, Laz published his comments.

There is absolutely nothing wrong here, and I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of media if you think something improper happened here.

Hell, Lehner promoted Laz’s tweet that promoted this interview.

Reactions: d rake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad