News Article: UPDATE (suspended until 1/2/20): Blackhawks investigating allegations against Marc Crawford

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Did anyone see that Chelios interview by the way? Where he says Babcock screamed and yelled so much at Franzen that he had a nervous breakdown???

Awful to hear. I swear i'm not trying to be a meathead with the following comment but it sees weird that a guy who's 6'4", 220lbs is going to be intimidated by Babcock. I know that stuff doesn't always matter but it seems weird nonetheless and probably speaks to just how much mental intimidation coaches have over players sometimes

Like you alluded to above, it's all about the power dynamic.

Even though Franzen could've easily physically overpowered Babcock, Babcock held the power.

Also, like you said above, almost are these cases are of coaches abusing their power just because they know they can. They're just bullying people they know won't fight back to get their own rocks off, it's not motivating.

Shitty people take advantage of a power dynamic like this.

Here's an interesting and quick read on the psychology of obeying authority:

Obedience to Authority | Simply Psychology

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It's not just coaches who do this. Parents do it, bosses do it, older siblings do it, spouses do it. A lot of people don't know how to handle authority. Throw in the ego boost of being a successful NHL coach and you get this mess

Right. Plus we have to remember that no matter how big some of these guys are, many of them have been living out on their own in the hockey world since 14/15. This might be all they know. Unfortunately, they don’t have much time to gather life experience outside of hockey.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yelling is different than kicking, choking, and physically harming players. Of course sports coaches will yell, especially at higher levels. I had a few of them. I couldn't care less about yelling. It's the physical abuse that is wrong on so many levels.

There's a difference between yelling and consistent verbal abuse though.

The Franzen stuff sounds much different than a one-off of a coach yelling at a player.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

The Franzen stuff sounds much different than a one-off of a coach yelling at a player.

Yeah, this sounds like a diabolical dick looking for weakness and trying to push buttons, not yelling because he is frustrated.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Yeah, this sounds like a diabolical dick looking for weakness and trying to push buttons, not yelling because he is frustrated.

Wasn't speaking to the Franzen stuff. Just the general act of coaches yelling because players are f***ing up, goofing off in practice, not paying attention, etc.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Bowman did a hell of a job bringing in this coaching staff. Well done Stanbo, you sure can pick em........

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
this is a league/game that allows fighting, who should be surprised...every other professional league, a player/players get punted out of the game.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
this is a league/game that allows fighting, who should be surprised...every other professional league, a player/players get punted out of the game.

Because it's a contact sport that allows fighting, we shouldn't be surprised that coaches are physically abusing players?

giphy.gif

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Tessier screamed at Ruskowski, Keenan screamed at Doug Wilson, Daryl Sutter hated and may have screamed at Larms. My brother in law's sister was a personal secretary for Mike & Maryann Illitch many years ago, brother in law said they went to a morning practice once and they could hear someone shouting from the locker room, guess who? it was Jacques Demers screaming at Petr Klima.

Guess it's a part of sports.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Since the Crawford thing has come about the NHL coaching system and players might change a bit, can see players turn into a bunch of grade school brats who can no longer be disciplined..... at all.

Like Kuznetsov.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Some people were highly critical based on Crawford’s past. BWC among them, to his credit.

BWC was for sure. Yelling doesn’t bother me but I am interested to see what comes of this. Avery didn’t have a issue either it seems. BWC you were more into the TB/SM incident right?

I think Carcillo is just looking for his pound of flesh at times and then their are time O think he is being real. He could just be using this as an excuse. He blames his actions on other people far too often. I am a bully because people bullied me.

Reactions: Pez68 and Giovi

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
After detailing abuse allegations, former NHL player Sean Avery comes out in support of Blackhawks assistant Marc Crawford: ‘I deserved it’

After detailing abuse allegations, former NHL player Sean Avery comes out in support of Blackhawks assistant Marc Crawford: ‘I deserved it’

I'm not sure what I think about all this. You look at a guy like Scotty Bowman who was a total **** to the nTH degree for much of his career but in his later years guys seemed to really like him as he softened up.

A fella like Crawford likely knows the old boundaries are no longer acceptable. And, because he crossed those boundaries in the past does that mean he shouldn't be allowed back in the game?

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Avery is not one to give in so I would be shocked.

Me too. Mostly joking. Most likely just wanted attention. Normally not one to say that. But why use this opportunity when all these allegations are coming out against coaches and them getting fired - just to walk it back and say you loved the guy and you deserved it.
Oh, Avery.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Ope. Looks like McPR got to Avery.

I highly doubt that. Avery's response was an non-PR as it gets. If it were PR it'd be the same old sugar coat bull**** but Avery actually owned up the the altercations then said they were warranted? Eeeek

This is a tiny window into how heated some of these guys get. Stories that come out from even the 90's are insane from Pierre McGuire throwing furniture at his players to an anonymous Blackhawk kicking Mike Keenan hard in the nuts during a practice.

Crazy ****.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Me too. Mostly joking. Most likely just wanted attention. Normally not one to say that. But why use this opportunity when all these allegations are coming out against coaches and them getting fired - just to walk it back and say you loved the guy and you deserved it.
Oh, Avery.
He is trying to act to being relevant is important. Could be related to getting attention like you said.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

Hes revealing himself as a very thoughtful and well spoken guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->