Update on Zherdev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Just wondering if there have been reports in the Columbus media about his situation. I know the Dispatch claimed two or three weeks ago that the situatin could be resolved within a week... still waiting to hear.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
The NHL is now involved. My Prediction is this situtation is gonna explode at any time, so stay tuned...

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Samkow said:
The NHL is now involved. My Prediction is this situtation is gonna explode at any time, so stay tuned...

How is the NHL involved and in what way? Where did you hear this? How would the situation "explode"?

I appreciate your input but your posts are always so vague they say nothing at all.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Yosemite Sam said:
How is the NHL involved and in what way? Where did you hear this? How would the situation "explode"?

I appreciate your input but your posts are always so vague they say nothing at all.

I know less on the matter than I should, but apparently the IIHF has cleared the way for Zherdev to play in the NHL. However, Zherdev's club team is refusing to release him.

Because of the agreement between the IIHF and NHL that states if the IIHF clears it, he should be on his way over. The NHL is beginning to talk to the IIHF, because based on their current agreement, Zherdev should already be in North America.

As is my understanding.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Alright, Im gonna try to explain it in detail.

June 23rd-Nikolai Zherdev is selected by the Blue Jackets

August 15th-Nikolai Zherdev is signed by the Columbus Blue Jackets. According to IIHF Rules, a 100,000 Transfer Fee Must be played to his former Club. It is payed, so zherdev should be free to leave for Columbus.

September 10th-Main Camp is about to begin. Zherdev should be here. But he is in Russia, playing in for CSKA. A Dialogue is opened between the team and CSKA Officials.

October 1st-Still No sign of Zherdev, Assistant GM Jim Clark traveled to Finland and Russia to talk more personally to CSKA Officials. No Luck, Russian officials threaten to put Zherdev in the army if he tries to leave for Columbus(Similar to Chitsov and Svitov)

October 5th-No Luck, NHL gets involved in the process. IIHF does nothing.

Many things about this that make it unique.

-IIHF doing nothing. They should start to threaten Russia with disqualifing them from International Tournaments like the world Championship. Nothing has been done.

-The Transefer agreement between IIHF and NHL expires September 15th 2004. There are fears that Russia will break off from the IIHF and charge high sums of money to get Russians to the NHL. The NHL needs to be nice to the Russian Federation to get them to stay with the IIHF on the transfer agreement.

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Samkow said:
Alright, Im gonna try to explain it in detail.

June 23rd-Nikolai Zherdev is selected by the Blue Jackets

August 15th-Nikolai Zherdev is signed by the Columbus Blue Jackets. According to IIHF Rules, a 100,000 Transfer Fee Must be played to his former Club. It is payed, so zherdev should be free to leave for Columbus.

September 10th-Main Camp is about to begin. Zherdev should be here. But he is in Russia, playing in for CSKA. A Dialogue is opened between the team and CSKA Officials.

October 1st-Still No sign of Zherdev, Assistant GM Jim Clark traveled to Finland and Russia to talk more personally to CSKA Officials. No Luck, Russian officials threaten to put Zherdev in the army if he tries to leave for Columbus(Similar to Chitsov and Svitov)

October 5th-No Luck, NHL gets involved in the process. IIHF does nothing.

Many things about this that make it unique.

-IIHF doing nothing. They should start to threaten Russia with disqualifing them from International Tournaments like the world Championship. Nothing has been done.

-The Transefer agreement between IIHF and NHL expires September 15th 2004. There are fears that Russia will break off from the IIHF and charge high sums of money to get Russians to the NHL. The NHL needs to be nice to the Russian Federation to get them to stay with the IIHF on the transfer agreement.

Thanks. Now that I'm in the loop, I feel much better. ;)

So the only influence the IIHF can exert against teams who do this is to threaten to rescind their international hockey privileges? Weird. How can the actions of one team be held against the rest of the Russian players?

I'm not in the know here, but if the Russian hockey people signed an agreement, aren't they then legally liable for their actions?

Again, thank you for all the info. I hope I didn't sound TOO snippy earlier. Cheers.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Today during Dynamo - Lokomotiv game commentator mentioned that Zherdev got some little injury.

PS: Ovechkin scored awesome goal

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Slay said:
Today during Dynamo - Lokomotiv game commentator mentioned that Zherdev got some little injury.

PS: Ovechkin scored awesome goal

Just coming back from work, and before coming to HF Board, 10 minutes ago,I read all available russian electronic newspapers I'm use to read and none of them explained why Zherdev was not in today's CSKA game. I've not seen also any information on CSKA web site.

Few days ago, Tikhonov openly said, I reported the link here, that he was not happy with the performance of Zherdev and that he was affected by all these talks about Columbus.

There may be something going on. We will see soon.

This hole created a place for Montreal prospect Kostytsin who played today for CSKA main club, back from CSKA 2.

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
Supposedly the NHL and CBJ are being told that Zherdev has been placed in the army... The CBJ doesnt seem to buy that Zherdev is in the army... The NHL has stepped in to put pressure on the IIHF and CSKA to release Zherdev... but not much has been said sense then...

Columbus Dispatch...
We’re being told that he (Zherdev) is in the army, but we really don’t know," Clark said. "If he has been conscripted — I suppose that’s how you’d describe it — there’s still the issue of the second year of service. Chistov and Svitov, or their agents, bought their way out (of the second year)."

Clark said Bill Daly, the NHL’s chief legal officer, filed a complaint with the IIHF last week.

"The purpose of the complaint is to have the IIHF investigate the player’s status," Clark said. "The Russian federation is saying that the player is in the army, which is what Tampa Bay went through with Svitov. Anyway, we’ll see where that goes. The next step is Zherdev is going to meet with the president of his Russian team.

"The most important thing in all of this, from my point of view, is we don’t want to put the kid in a difficult situation, whatever happens."

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
tom_servo said:
If this is the case, then you might wonder how hard it could be to see Ovechkin over here next season.

There was an article a couple weeks ago about that

dispatch.com

What’s scarier in the big picture is this: The aforementioned transfer agreement between the NHL and IIHF runs out next year — and there have been strong indications that the Russians won’t join in on any new agreement. Put another way: The Russians might break with the IIHF and make up their own rules for doing business. The Russians might be looking to create circumstances like those that exist in professional soccer.

Here’s a circumstance: Under certain conditions, the Spanish soccer club Real Madrid might ultimately pay $35 million to Manchester United to buy the transfer of David Beckham. The two clubs recently made the blockbuster deal.

Granted, that’s an extreme case. The point does not change, however. If an NHL team wants to take a player of Zherdev’s caliber out of Russia, the cost could soar in the near future.

Next summer, just as the current transfer agreement runs out, one of the most coveted players in a generation will become draft eligible. He is a Russian, playing for Moscow Dynamo in the Elite League. His name is Alexander Ovechkin. He’s a 6-foot-2, 200-pound, stick-handling, sharpshooting, bodychecking, forechecking — and even backchecking — monster with a panoramic view of the ice.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
I read an article on CSKA's website that said that Zherdev made a verbal agreement to stay with the team this year to improve his game before coming to the states.
They are pissed because he signed a contract with Columbus without their knowledge.As a punishment (in my opinion) he was then placed on the 4th line and saw his ice-time dwindle to almost nothing until recently when he was benched for the last 2 games.
CSKA has threatened to put Nikolai in the army just to keep him from going to Columbus.They have also said that Zherdev does not even have a passport to leave the country anyway.
I think they will let him go after this season and the Bluejackets will just have to wait till then.

I think this incident is isolated to CSKA for now and should not affect Ovechkin's ability to play here next season.As long as he doesn't make the same mistakes that Zherdev did.

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
Spongebob said:
I read an article on CSKA's website that said that Zherdev made a verbal agreement to stay with the team this year to improve his game before coming to the states.
They are pissed because he signed a contract with Columbus without their knowledge.As a punishment (in my opinion) he was then placed on the 4th line and saw his ice-time dwindle to almost nothing until recently when he was benched for the last 2 games.
CSKA has threatened to put Nikolai in the army just to keep him from going to Columbus.They have also said that Zherdev does not even have a passport to leave the country anyway.
I think they will let him go after this season and the Bluejackets will just have to wait till then.

I think this incident is isolated to CSKA for now and should not affect Ovechkin's ability to play here next season.As long as he doesn't make the same mistakes that Zherdev did.

Thanks for the update...

WHat doesnt make sense to me is, that if they want him to stay, why put him on the 4th line...? A punishment? That really doesnt make that much sense to me. If they are going to give him no ice time and bench him, what do they care if he hops the pond. It seems like a really childish move by CSKA.

I was under the impression the team was in control of their players passports... could they just be using this as another reason he has to stay?

Also, Since when does a verbal agreement override a signed contract? And I though Zherdev did even have a CSKA contract signed?

How would they be able to put him in the Army, wasnt he born in Ukraine?

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
Spongebob said:

one problem. its a written rule. once the contract is signed and the transfer fee is paid, he is a bluejacket. thats a big difference over him "saying" he would stay. theres no argument here imo. zherdev is a bluejacket and cska are holding him illegally. now you may not agree, but thats how i see it

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
paul99 said:
Few days ago, Tikhonov openly said, I reported the link here, that he was not happy with the performance of Zherdev and that he was affected by all these talks about Columbus.

There may be something going on. We will see soon.

This hole created a place for Montreal prospect Kostytsin who played today for CSKA main club, back from CSKA 2.

I am talking about last 2 games why he wasn't playing, i.e. because of injury, that is what commentators mentioned.

I don't think that something is going on, I strongly doubt that he can be sent to the army.

I don't think that because he signed with Colambus was the reason sending him to the 4th line. He signed in preaseason and at the same time was playing in the first 2 lines at preaseason games. He was send down because of poor performance or it can't be the reason?

About Kostytsin. He was in the roster of CSKA but didn't play at all. Dubinin (another player of CSKA-2) was playing.

PS: this thread is turning into secretive/mysterious/fiction and almost spy story :)

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Slay said:
I am talking about last 2 games why he wasn't playing, i.e. because of injury, that is what commentators mentioned.

I don't think that something is going on, I strongly doubt that he can be sent to the army.

I don't think that because he signed with Colambus was the reason sending him to the 4th line. He signed in preaseason and at the same time was playing in the first 2 lines at preaseason games. He was send down because of poor performance or it can't be the reason?

About Kostytsin. He was in the roster of CSKA but didn't play at all. Dubinin (another player of CSKA-2) was playing.

PS: this thread is turning into secretive/mysterious/fiction and almost spy story :)

Agree. We have to remember that Tikhonov, has a coach, has to play his best players. I repeat it is not serious to think he would not put Zherdev or any other player on the ice for other reason than incapacity to help the team. Soviet time is over. Plus, Tikhonov is recognized as a coach who likes to give kids a chance.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
As Slay reported it previously, it seems Zherdev has just a little injury. A russian pal\source of mine working around RSL confirmed that hypothesis this morning. It may explain why is his absence of ice is not a big deal in Russia. As usual, things got out of proportion here because a leak of information.

That said, fact remains that his general performance on ice up to now was not the one expected by Tikhonov and fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad