Update on Zherdev?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Yosemite Sam, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam Registered User

Home Page:
    Just wondering if there have been reports in the Columbus media about his situation. I know the Dispatch claimed two or three weeks ago that the situatin could be resolved within a week... still waiting to hear.

2. Samkow

Samkow Now do Classical Gas

The NHL is now involved. My Prediction is this situtation is gonna explode at any time, so stay tuned...

3. paul99

paul99 Registered User

IT
    See this thread for some info and discussion: http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=16888

4. Yosemite Sam

Home Page:
    How is the NHL involved and in what way? Where did you hear this? How would the situation "explode"?

I appreciate your input but your posts are always so vague they say nothing at all.

5. Aaron Vickers

Aaron Vickers FC Hockey

Managing Editor, FC Hockey
    Home Page:
    I know less on the matter than I should, but apparently the IIHF has cleared the way for Zherdev to play in the NHL. However, Zherdev's club team is refusing to release him.

Because of the agreement between the IIHF and NHL that states if the IIHF clears it, he should be on his way over. The NHL is beginning to talk to the IIHF, because based on their current agreement, Zherdev should already be in North America.

As is my understanding.

6. Samkow

Samkow Now do Classical Gas

Alright, Im gonna try to explain it in detail.

June 23rd-Nikolai Zherdev is selected by the Blue Jackets

August 15th-Nikolai Zherdev is signed by the Columbus Blue Jackets. According to IIHF Rules, a 100,000 Transfer Fee Must be played to his former Club. It is payed, so zherdev should be free to leave for Columbus.

September 10th-Main Camp is about to begin. Zherdev should be here. But he is in Russia, playing in for CSKA. A Dialogue is opened between the team and CSKA Officials.

October 1st-Still No sign of Zherdev, Assistant GM Jim Clark traveled to Finland and Russia to talk more personally to CSKA Officials. No Luck, Russian officials threaten to put Zherdev in the army if he tries to leave for Columbus(Similar to Chitsov and Svitov)

October 5th-No Luck, NHL gets involved in the process. IIHF does nothing.

Many things about this that make it unique.

-IIHF doing nothing. They should start to threaten Russia with disqualifing them from International Tournaments like the world Championship. Nothing has been done.

-The Transefer agreement between IIHF and NHL expires September 15th 2004. There are fears that Russia will break off from the IIHF and charge high sums of money to get Russians to the NHL. The NHL needs to be nice to the Russian Federation to get them to stay with the IIHF on the transfer agreement.

7. Yosemite Sam

Home Page:
    Thanks. Now that I'm in the loop, I feel much better. ;)

So the only influence the IIHF can exert against teams who do this is to threaten to rescind their international hockey privileges? Weird. How can the actions of one team be held against the rest of the Russian players?

I'm not in the know here, but if the Russian hockey people signed an agreement, aren't they then legally liable for their actions?

Again, thank you for all the info. I hope I didn't sound TOO snippy earlier. Cheers.

8. Jacob

Jacob Registered User

Home Page:
    Sounds like a swell place to live. :rolleyes:

9. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

Didn't Zherdev not play for CSKA the other night?

10. Wingboy2999

Wingboy2999 Registered User

Student at Pitt
    Home Page:
    This all seems REALLY confusing if you ask me. The Cold War starts again!

11. Captain Ron

Captain Ron Registered User

Home Page:
    No he didn't play on October 17th vs. Avangard.I am still searching for a reason why.

12. Slay

Slay Registered User

Today during Dynamo - Lokomotiv game commentator mentioned that Zherdev got some little injury.

PS: Ovechkin scored awesome goal

13. paul99

paul99 Registered User

IT
    Just coming back from work, and before coming to HF Board, 10 minutes ago,I read all available russian electronic newspapers I'm use to read and none of them explained why Zherdev was not in today's CSKA game. I've not seen also any information on CSKA web site.

Few days ago, Tikhonov openly said, I reported the link here, that he was not happy with the performance of Zherdev and that he was affected by all these talks about Columbus.

There may be something going on. We will see soon.

This hole created a place for Montreal prospect Kostytsin who played today for CSKA main club, back from CSKA 2.

14. Ejh18

Ejh18 Registered User

Home Page:
    Supposedly the NHL and CBJ are being told that Zherdev has been placed in the army... The CBJ doesnt seem to buy that Zherdev is in the army... The NHL has stepped in to put pressure on the IIHF and CSKA to release Zherdev... but not much has been said sense then...

Columbus Dispatch...

15. tom_servo

tom_servo Registered User

Home Page:
    If this is the case, then you might wonder how hard it could be to see Ovechkin over here next season.

16. Ejh18

Ejh18 Registered User

Home Page:
    There was an article a couple weeks ago about that

dispatch.com

17. Captain Ron

Captain Ron Registered User

Home Page:
    I read an article on CSKA's website that said that Zherdev made a verbal agreement to stay with the team this year to improve his game before coming to the states.
    They are pissed because he signed a contract with Columbus without their knowledge.As a punishment (in my opinion) he was then placed on the 4th line and saw his ice-time dwindle to almost nothing until recently when he was benched for the last 2 games.
    CSKA has threatened to put Nikolai in the army just to keep him from going to Columbus.They have also said that Zherdev does not even have a passport to leave the country anyway.
    I think they will let him go after this season and the Bluejackets will just have to wait till then.

I think this incident is isolated to CSKA for now and should not affect Ovechkin's ability to play here next season.As long as he doesn't make the same mistakes that Zherdev did.

18. Ejh18

Ejh18 Registered User

Home Page:
    Thanks for the update...

WHat doesnt make sense to me is, that if they want him to stay, why put him on the 4th line...? A punishment? That really doesnt make that much sense to me. If they are going to give him no ice time and bench him, what do they care if he hops the pond. It seems like a really childish move by CSKA.

I was under the impression the team was in control of their players passports... could they just be using this as another reason he has to stay?

Also, Since when does a verbal agreement override a signed contract? And I though Zherdev did even have a CSKA contract signed?

How would they be able to put him in the Army, wasnt he born in Ukraine?

19. RDriesen

RDriesen Registered User

Home Page:
    one problem. its a written rule. once the contract is signed and the transfer fee is paid, he is a bluejacket. thats a big difference over him "saying" he would stay. theres no argument here imo. zherdev is a bluejacket and cska are holding him illegally. now you may not agree, but thats how i see it

20. Slay

Slay Registered User

I am talking about last 2 games why he wasn't playing, i.e. because of injury, that is what commentators mentioned.

I don't think that something is going on, I strongly doubt that he can be sent to the army.

I don't think that because he signed with Colambus was the reason sending him to the 4th line. He signed in preaseason and at the same time was playing in the first 2 lines at preaseason games. He was send down because of poor performance or it can't be the reason?

About Kostytsin. He was in the roster of CSKA but didn't play at all. Dubinin (another player of CSKA-2) was playing.

PS: this thread is turning into secretive/mysterious/fiction and almost spy story :)

21. Slay

Slay Registered User

He is citizen of Russia

22. paul99

paul99 Registered User

IT
    Agree. We have to remember that Tikhonov, has a coach, has to play his best players. I repeat it is not serious to think he would not put Zherdev or any other player on the ice for other reason than incapacity to help the team. Soviet time is over. Plus, Tikhonov is recognized as a coach who likes to give kids a chance.

23. Did Columbus actually pay the fee?

24. Aaron Vickers

Aaron Vickers FC Hockey

Managing Editor, FC Hockey
    Home Page:
    Long time ago.

25. paul99

paul99 Registered User

IT
    As Slay reported it previously, it seems Zherdev has just a little injury. A russian pal\source of mine working around RSL confirmed that hypothesis this morning. It may explain why is his absence of ice is not a big deal in Russia. As usual, things got out of proportion here because a leak of information.

That said, fact remains that his general performance on ice up to now was not the one expected by Tikhonov and fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.