Update on Mark Pavelich

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Interesting read. I wasn’t aware of any of this. I was a little late for Pavelich’s era.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I remembered him from afar. Good player. Also, had no idea he was having these issues until now. I hope he gets the help he needs.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There has been at least one other thread on him but this story does a good job of getting people up to speed and there are some new things in it. I hadn't heard of the hunting accident. Mark Pavelich was one hell of a player. A little guy but he had a lot of skill, grit and heart. He was a favorite of mine.

His last year with the Rangers he and Ted Sator did not see eye to eye.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I was looking to see if there was another thread concerning Pavelich; couldn't find one (apparently I didn't look far enough lol). Anyway; I thought some might want to see how he was doing.

Reactions: Maximus

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I was looking to see if there was another thread concerning Pavelich; couldn't find one (apparently I didn't look far enough lol). Anyway; I thought some might want to see how he was doing.

There was a thread when he attacked the guy with a metal pipe and since there's been an update now and again. I also listened to Duguay, Mio interview and Mio was saying he didn't remember him being concussed and Duguay was saying he was always going into corners and getting his helmet knocked off by bigger players but would never stay down. I actually remember a time when he did stay down--diving for a loose puck near the goal crease he shoots the puck past the goalie into the net while simultaneously getting kneed in the head by a defender. I'm sure he was concussed that time. Whether or not that has anything to do with what's been happening to him though. I knew his wife had died in an accident--that was reported on years before the attack on his neighbor. It seems like he's had more than his share of bad luck. The good thing is Beck and Duguay seem to be looking out for him.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I missed that thread, oh well.

Hard for me to believe he didn't suffer at least 1 concussion in his career. Again, if that has anything to do with what's happened with him, I don't know, but you'd have to think it's likely a factor. His wife dying was unexpected and tragic.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
NYR statement, as quoted in the Post

"The New York Rangers are saddened to learn of the passing of Mark Pavelich,” the Rangers said in a statement. “His determination, passion, and dazzling playmaking ability earned him the adoration of Rangers fans during his five-year tenure in New York. Mark helped inspire a nation through the integral role he played on the ‘Miracle on Ice’ team in the 1980 Winter Olympics., Our thoughts are with Mark’s loved ones during this difficult time"

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Ugh...horrible news but tragically not unexpected after what we had heard months ago about what he was going thru.

For those of y'all who never saw him play...think Mitch Marner, Johnny Gaudreau type player. Could skate like the wind, could deke the shit out of opposing players, could make the best passes you ever saw and could snipe with the best of them. And for a small guy, he could take a hit and dish it out as well.

He was one of my favorite players from those fun to watch early to mid 80's Ranger teams that just were good enough to beat the Flyers, Capitals and other heavy teams but just couldn't beat the Islanders when it counted and win a playoff series.

Anyways Pavs will be missed...RIP!

Last edited:

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
This is sad news.. Some people/ ex players tried to reach out to him but he was dealing with mental illness.
Sad story..RIP

Reactions: Cmox and egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There was quite a bit of tragedy in Mark's life. He killed a friend in a hunting accident as a teenager and his wife died some years ago falling off the deck of their home in Minnesota. I'm pretty sure he had brain damage from his days in the NHL. He was a little guy but fearless and would go in the corners with anybody and he took some hellacious hits kind of like Petr Prucha. I remember him diving for a rebound and scoring a goal and being knocked out getting kneed in the head for his troubles. Excellent player though and he never backed down. His days with the Rangers pretty much came to an end after Ted Sator became coach. There were numerous Rangers who had issues with Sator---Beck, Ruotsolainen and Larouche.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
There was quite a bit of tragedy in Mark's life. He killed a friend in a hunting accident as a teenager and his wife died some years ago falling off the deck of their home in Minnesota. I'm pretty sure he had brain damage from his days in the NHL. He was a little guy but fearless and would go in the corners with anybody and he took some hellacious hits kind of like Petr Prucha. I remember him diving for a rebound and scoring a goal and being knocked out getting kneed in the head for his troubles. Excellent player though and he never backed down. His days with the Rangers pretty much came to an end after Ted Sator became coach. There were numerous Rangers who had issues with Sator---Beck, Ruotsolainen and Larouche.
Pretty much quit hockey bc his system.

Reactions: eco's bones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->