Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I appreciate the description. However, I don't appreciate links to pay walls. I would never provide a link to any sites I might be paying for, unless by oversight.

You're paying for free content somehow.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Didn't get to see any of the game but I noticed Merzlikins got his first taste of some NHL ice time today? .944 sv% seems nice, but how did the King look out there?

He was very good. Excellent post to post stop which you might find a clip of.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
You're paying for free content somehow.

I'm not paying for TheAthletic, never will. I don't appreciate people linking to articles that I can't read. I don't know why this is difficult. I expressed my feelings on the matter, everyone is free to keep doing it or not. I have no real desire to discuss the nuance of direct costs versus indirect "hidden" costs.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not paying for TheAthletic, never will. I don't appreciate people linking to articles that I can't read. I don't know why this is difficult. I expressed my feelings on the matter, everyone is free to keep doing it or not. I have no real desire to discuss the nuance of direct costs versus indirect "hidden" costs.

I get you, it's just going to be a quixotic quest to stop linking to the Athletic at least. They've got almost all the good content.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I get you, it's just going to be a quixotic quest to stop linking to the Athletic at least. They've got almost all the good content.

I voiced my objection, I'll do it randomly in the future. It's a crappy move to link to stuff that people can't read however. As far as "good content", I still see the random crap that AP is tweeting these days. If there's good stuff it's probably not coming from him. I'm sure he has something decent from time to time, but I've considered unfollowing him because the majority of it just isn't to the quality of what he used to produce years ago.

I'm done with this windmill. Looking forward to seeing what Elvis can do this season.

Reactions: Cowumbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I voiced my objection, I'll do it randomly in the future. It's a crappy move to link to stuff that people can't read however. As far as "good content", I still see the random crap that AP is tweeting these days. If there's good stuff it's probably not coming from him. I'm sure he has something decent from time to time, but I've considered unfollowing him because the majority of it just isn't to the quality of what he used to produce years ago.

Yes, the good stuff is not Porty. He hasn't had inside sources in like 5 years and he's still pretending he does. It's painful to watch.

I'm done with this windmill.

:laugh:

I might start using this expression.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The paywall discussion has been interesting, but it's threatening to derail this Merzlikins thread, so I would politely request it be brought to a conclusion. Thanks.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Here’s Tortorella on goaltender Elvis Merzlikins, who is getting adjusted to the smaller rinks and faster style of play in North America. Merzlikins has an .885 save percentage through 4 1/2 periods of play. “The kid’s working hard at it. He’s one competitive son of a bitch. Sometimes he may get in the way of himself, because he competes so hard. That’s where he’s got to find himself and settle himself down and allow the game to come to him. I’m not going to talk about goaltending, but I can talk about his personality. I love his personality. I’d rather have a guy like that, who you have to talk off the wall a little bit, instead of having to push a guy’s ass up the wall. This is a really good situation with Elvis.”

Blue Jackets, former first-round pick Sonny Milano likely at...

Paywall ^

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
The paywall discussion has been interesting, but it's threatening to derail this Merzlikins thread, so I would politely request it be brought to a conclusion. Thanks.
Please just one more comment...

BlahBlah, I will refrain from linking to the articles but from time to time I do/will refer to something I read there.

As for whether the content is good, views on AP, etc, its that the content is different. TA is great for long form articles and storytelling. I am not reading TA for "so and so is on the trading block", I can get that on Twitter. But AP writing an article about Oliver Bjorkstrand, how he learned to play hockey as a kid, how he ended up scouted/drafted by the CBJ and how he progressed to where he is now and where he might be headed. That's not having inside sources...that's research and leg work doing interviews, and then good writing. That was a great article!

And Ari Wasserman does a solid job of this for OSU and Pat McManaon for the Browns. LOVED the recent story about The Scottish Hammer and John Dorsey and their connection (if you are a Browns fan). Quality journalism.

OK...now back to Elvis. "The road to love is filled with....danger signs" :) I honestly thought Korpi would go to camp as the starter but Elvis would win at least a 50-50 split. At this point Korpi has looked solid and I think he starts the season getting the bulk of the playing time.

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Any linking must go along with the maximum allowed linkage of content, preferably some important parts...

Deal?.... Deal.

I don't hate Merzlikins ( he needs to "attack" the shooter/cut off the angle better... Most of the time the edge of the crease should be hitting the back end of your skates as a goalie)….. BUT I LOVE Korpisalo.

He (Korpisalo) is the REAL DEAL. As is Dubois. Believe it.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Any linking must go along with the maximum allowed linkage of content, preferably some important parts...

Deal?.... Deal.

I don't hate Merzlikins ( he needs to "attack" the shooter/cut off the angle better... Most of the time the edge of the crease should be hitting the back end of your skates as a goalie)….. BUT I LOVE Korpisalo.

He (Korpisalo) is the REAL DEAL. As is Dubois. Believe it.

last time I checked, a career 2.89 GAA and a .907 save percentage doesn't signify someone as "the real deal".

also, last time I checked.. this was a thread about Elvis Merzlikins and not Joonas Korpisalo.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
l

also, last time I checked.. this was a thread about Elvis Merzlikins and not Joonas Korpisalo.

Ah but can you have a thread about Adam without mentioning Eve? Starsky without Hutch? Stormy without...nevermind

Reactions: db2011

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I'm not sure how Elvis's career will go in the NHL or even if he has one, but he is my new personal favorite - just read the Athletic Tat article and Elvis has in Latin accross his right chest area "Don't let the f***ers get you down". That is the way a goalie needs to think. Don't be worried about all the crap that happened in the past. Just stop the next puck, and the one after that. Life will be good.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm not sure how Elvis's career will go in the NHL or even if he has one, but he is my new personal favorite - just read the Athletic Tat article and Elvis has in Latin accross his right chest area "Don't let the ****ers get you down". That is the way a goalie needs to think. Don't be worried about all the crap that happened in the past. Just stop the next puck, and the one after that. Life will be good.
I’m going to let it all go on that game. Everyone was terrible and once the wheels came off it was over. I don’t know why but you could dress a high school team in Pens jerseys and the CBJ will play terrible against them. The team is just in their heads. I could even tell on the radio once 1 goal was scored it was a “here we go again” moment. Combine that with the nerves of a guy making his debut and it was just a massive train wreck.

I can tell he will be working very hard to do well and that was just more motivation. He’s too competitive to fall apart over 1 game.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If there was ever "proof" that a goalie wasn't NHL level, it was that Pittsburgh game.

He needs much more work on his angles/"attacking the shooter".

Having to play a team with 100% NHL players/shooters is much different than MAYBE 50% at the most.

Gabe Carlsson 2.0?

Confidence/arrogance and tattoos does nothing to help stop pucks. We'll see how much that confidence continues and how long Torts' leash is after probably 2 more shit goals.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If there was ever "proof" that a goalie wasn't NHL level, it was that Pittsburgh game.

He needs much more work on his angles/"attacking the shooter".

Having to play a team with 100% NHL players/shooters is much different than MAYBE 50% at the most.

Gabe Carlsson 2.0?

Confidence/arrogance and tattoos does nothing to help stop pucks. We'll see how much that confidence continues and how long Torts' leash is after probably 2 more **** goals.

Is one game proof or just a sample? Patrick Roy gave up 9 one night and then demanded a trade. Was that night proof he wasn't an NHL level goalie? The guy earned his right to be here and shouldn't be burned at the stake after 1 opportunity.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
We like to think Torts has final say on the line up, but if Jarmo wants to see Elvis play, I'll bet he plays. And my guess, like a lot of others is Friday in Chicago.

Reactions: 42

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->